Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Lever Guns
Borrego
# Posted: 13 Jul 2018 19:52

I think we did a thread years ago on guns in general, but I love lever guns so much I thought I'd start a specific thread. I think they are the perfect 'cabin gun', but maybe I'm prejudiced. Anyone else got 'em? A little piece of American (and Canadian) history

Top is a Winchester .32 Spl from early 1900s
Bottom is a Winchester '73, .44, from 1880s

Gary O
# Posted: 13 Jul 2018 23:15

Like 'em
used to have a Winchester mdl '94 30/30
miss it

Smawgunner
# Posted: 14 Jul 2018 06:35

Nice pieces there! I’d love to have an older one but don’t. I hunt with a Marlin 45-70 😎 Can’t day a bad thing about it.

FishHog
# Posted: 14 Jul 2018 08:42

been a fan of lever guns all my life. Still have my first Browning .22 lever along with a .45 and a 45-70. Always wanted an old winchester, but couldn't justify the cost.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 14 Jul 2018 23:21 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

I have a 1948 Winchester model 94 in 32WIN SPCL, my grandfather on moms side bought it new in 1948. Absolutely mint.

I have a Winchester model 94 Trapper, this is a shorter version, 16" barrel, saddle ring and its all walnut stock like the 32 and I bought it new in 1989. Its a 94AE 9angle eject and 30/30)

I have a 80's era model 94 premium unit, 20" barrel, checkered walnut stock, in 30/30

Nate R
# Posted: 15 Jul 2018 11:43

My deer rifle is a Post '64 Model 94 30-30. Got some family history, as it was my Great Aunt's deer gun.
Added a scope, which got real interesting to mount with the top shell eject!

Love how light it is and the short barrel....Great as a "brush gun" walking around, etc. Not hooking on trees, etc. Done the job well for me!

Just
# Posted: 15 Jul 2018 12:52 - Edited by: Just

I have a 94 AE great gun . I. Only use it one week a year . I do have one complaint I have three boxes of unspent shells with flat heads caused from racking the shells in and out twice a day. ANY SOLUTIONS ???
Old and new
Old and new

Griswald
# Posted: 15 Jul 2018 21:54

I have a .300 Savage lever gun for deer hunting. Model 99.

Great shooter.

ICC
# Posted: 15 Jul 2018 22:11 - Edited by: ICC

Quoting: Just

I have a 94 AE great gun . I. Only use it one week a year . I do have one complaint I have three boxes of unspent shells with flat heads caused from racking the shells in and out twice a day. ANY SOLUTIONS ?

Target shoot with them--- see what they do and then before the new ones wear like that, target shoot some more. I use more cartridges practice shooting than I fire hunting.

Just
# Posted: 15 Jul 2018 22:31

It is illegal to shoot any rifle larger than a 270 cal.were I live ( southern Ontario)and it is a unwritten rule (no target practice at deer camp .)you are allowed to take a shot or two to check you sights.We target shoot with a rim fire . I thought maybe there was a adjustment on the gun that could stop the problem.

Just
# Posted: 15 Jul 2018 22:41

It only takes one a year .to hunt ____ ya right..

ICC
# Posted: 15 Jul 2018 23:38 - Edited by: ICC

When the tip is worn it will affect the accuracy. It is difficult to say how much without some bench testing.

Too bad about the ammo use restrictions. I target shoot a few times a month with a 22LR match rifle that is approximately the same weight as the rifles used to hunt with, similar scope, same type of action (bolt), similar conditions, as well as typical bench rest shooting trying to get the smallest groups possible just for fun. Then when hunt season is close I also use the larger caliber hunt rifle, but only 1 or 2 shots at a time before allowing the barrel to cool, shoot some more LR and then repeat. I go through 40 or 50 or more of the hunt rounds in pre hunt practice.

Handloading helps cut the per round cost if I don't count the reloading hardware cost.

I don't understand the unwritten rule to limit practice before the hunt. The idea is to have a humane hunt, no animals that need to be chased down.

FishHog
# Posted: 16 Jul 2018 08:16

It is illegal to shoot any rifle larger than a 270 cal.were I live ( southern Ontario)

Not true. Illegal to hunt with larger than 270 in centre fire ammo, but you absolutely can target shoot with any caliber you choose.

old243
# Posted: 16 Jul 2018 08:42

I have a mod 94 win pre 64 in 30-30 purchased new when I was in high school. old 243

Just
# Posted: 16 Jul 2018 10:59

Thanks Fish if that is true you have solved my problems I will ask local authorities. Some townships have different rules.

Nate R
# Posted: 16 Jul 2018 17:16

Forgot taht'
. I do have one complaint I have three boxes of unspent shells with flat heads caused from racking the shells in and out twice a day. ANY SOLUTIONS ???

Best I've done is load 2 bullets, load one in the chamber, and THEN add the 3rd. I'm hoping that a max of 2 in the magazine means less spring tension pushing on those things.

Also, you can see the bullets get pushed INTO the cartridge and not just rubbed flat. (See the crimp in the new one, gone in the old?)

I also load and unload the same bullets day after day, so that after a few days I have 3 bullets like that, and not 20 a little like that.

Not sure what else you can do.

Nate R
# Posted: 16 Jul 2018 17:18

Quoting: Griswald
I have a .300 Savage lever gun for deer hunting. Model 99.

Great shooter.

Forgot to mention that's what my wife hunts with. She likes that gun. Originally was my great uncle's.
On her 8th season sitting in the deer stand opening weekend, my wife finally got to take her first deer last fall.

nickwhittle
# Posted: 26 May 2020 09:21

Those guns are gorgeous, I would really like to have something like that in my collection. I have a lot of old handguns and i would like to have some rifles. I really like to own old guns, but when it comes to hunting I always use the newest and most advanced equipment. Recently I got a new scope for myself from ATN. the model is ATN X-Sight 4K BuckHunter 5-20x. I really like hunting with it because it can do amazing things and It is easy to use and set up. You can use it to stream and record Full HD video which is awesome.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 27 May 2020 15:23

Nick, junk scopes, all they are good for is plinking at spam cans, any more recoil than a 22LR, knocks the cross hairs all out of place.
They do however make a great aid to toss a rope in a tree to hang game for cleaning, tie ATN scope on to end of rope, toss over tree branch. Grab junk scope, pull down, hook game up, pull other end.
Also, use scope as wheel chock if your park brake is failing too. When the lens falls out, use them to start fires with the aid of the sun.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.