Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Moving Shipping Container Homes
SuperDan
# Posted: 20 Jul 2018 11:22

Hello All, New to the forum. Located in SE Ocala Florida, Just wanted to let everyone know that I can move Shipping Containers !! As long as the outside (ends) are in Factory Condition !! Im a retired Class 'A' CDL Driver, And retired Owner if a Towing/Repo/Transport Business here in Florida. I use a Military Dolly System that converts the Container into a Trailer for Transport ! I CAN EVEN MOVE THEM OFFROAD !!! As long as the terrain is hard and Semi Level, And I have room to maneuver. Right now I can only move a 8'6 (common) Shipping Container. Working on a adapter kit to move the "High Cube" Containers as well as a adapter that will allow me to lift the container approximately 6 FEET High !!. Please Email me with the pick up and drop off Addresses, As well as a Contact number, And I'll give you a quote. I can transport your Container ANYWHERE in the USA (not Alaska or Hawaii). Weight must be UNDER 14,000 pounds for "Long Distance" Transport !!. Max weight for "Local" Transport is 15,000 pounds. . I'll need at least a 2 WEEK advance notice before you need your Container moved !! I'm usually booked 2 weeks out. Nobody Else(that I've found) moves Containers with this type Dolly System !!!! There is NO DAMAGE, And I can (normally) position the Container in Smaller/Tighter Spots than a Huge Semi and Trailer !!!. My rates are VERY fair considering nobody else provides "My Type" of Container Transport. We can discuss details and prices after contact. I can move ANY length Container, As long as the outside ends are in the Factory Condition. Thanks And Let's Talk. God Bless All. SuperDan.

DaveBell
# Posted: 20 Jul 2018 13:27

How much would you charge to move a 20' from Baltimore, MD to Augusta, WV? Not immediate need, will do in the future.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 21 Jul 2018 22:54 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Well, I'm here to tell you, a container makes for super secure storage and can be made to look real nice if you add a roof on ie, keeps it cool and makes it look nice.

The guy who hauled mine used 3 large pipes as rollers, a high lift jack and a flatbed trailer with a winch on it. He set it right where i wanted it. He was limited to 20 footers.

I would not advise anyone to make a shipping container home as the cost ends up really high (no savings over std construction) but what I would be cool is 2 20 footers side by side, then build a cabin on top with a covered perimeter porch, Access to the inside of the storage containers via a stair case. You have a garage for snowmobiles and no bears inside cabin. A staircase access form outside can be hinged up. One could even circle them to form a courtyard. Great set up for life in Alaska.

Here is my container storage unit.
20180426_063448.jpg
20180426_063448.jpg

ILFE
# Posted: 12 Sep 2018 02:17 - Edited by: ILFE

Sad to see the guy didn't bother responding to a reply in his own thread. I guess it isn't that important to him.

toyota_mdt_tech, good lookin' roof, man. Thanks for sharing the photo.

I had a 20 foot sea container insulated and shipped to our property, 7 hours from the capital of Cambodia. Total shipping cost was only $175 US.

After it arrived here, we added a metal roof to serve a dual purpose. One was to keep the noise of the rain down. The other was to use it as a rain catchment surface. So far, so good.

Here is the break down, in Cambodian rates, to have the roof completed (May 2017):

7 each - sheets roofing steel (corrugated), snow white color. 3.5 meters long x 1.10 meters wide. $12.95 each, $90.65 total

6 each - 40 mm x 40 mm x 1.50 cm x 6 m long, $7.695 each, $46.17 total

5 each - 40 mm x 80 mm x 1.50 cm x 6 m long, $12.433 each, $62.17 total

1 bag - mounting screws with rubber washers, $3.50 total

Transportation from ISI, Road 5 to the farm, $15.00 total (~ 30 kilometers)

Sub-Total: $217.49 

Additional Costs:

Welding total cost was $70.00 USD, for supports and to mount roof framing. (Welding & installation of trusses was completed on May 19th, 2017.)

A 4 liters pail of paint was $10.00 USD, plus $12.00 labor to put three coats on the steel.

Grand Total: $309.49
Container 1
Container 1
Container 2
Container 2

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 12 Sep 2018 08:41

ILFE, cost are much lower in Cambodia. I have total in my, includes, cost, moving to site, prep and adding roof, about $5500 USD

I'm headed over there tomorrow to paint it all to match my cabin in "Forest Service Brown"
I will have pictures of finished unit. Getting it while temps are still good. That window will close up pretty quickly.

Cowracer
# Posted: 12 Sep 2018 09:06

We built a huge addition to my plant, and we put some of the MCC (Motor Control Centers) in shipping containers. For reasons unknown to me, they are called Con-ex containers around here.

Other than welding in a couple man doors, they have not had much done to them. Pretty cheap solution to having buildings constructed. I think they are insulated. They got particle board interior walls, so I imagined there is something behind the particle board, but I don't know what... I do know that a 220v window air conditioner keeps them cool enough in summer.

This is what one looks like in the inside.

Tim
20180114_113130.jpg
20180114_113130.jpg

kittysmitty
# Posted: 12 Sep 2018 11:09

One of our local ATV Clubs are using a 40 foot container for a bridge. Open the doors, cut out the other end, and you have a covered bridge.

ILFE
# Posted: 12 Sep 2018 12:20

Quoting: kittysmitty
One of our local ATV Clubs are using a 40 foot container for a bridge. Open the doors, cut out the other end, and you have a covered bridge.

One use for a sea container that, I have to admit, I never considered.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.