Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Turn Plastic Into Oil
hattie
# Posted: 13 Feb 2011 13:57

Okay gentlemen - tell me what you think of this invention. Don't bother turning the sound on your puter as it is in Japanese (just read the subtitles). It looks pretty amazing to me (if it really works)! Hubby says basically he is distilling plastic - WOW!

http://www.flixxy.com/convert-plastic-to-oil.htm

Scott_T
# Posted: 13 Feb 2011 16:02

The amount of energy input required to transform plastics back to oil would be tremendous and ultimately cost prohibitive. Best thing would be to reuse plastics and conserve the oil we have left. :-)

Danko
# Posted: 21 Mar 2011 12:48

but great invention nevertheless : )

bobrok
# Posted: 21 Mar 2011 13:48

Quoting: Scott_T
The amount of energy input required to transform plastics back to oil would be tremendous and ultimately cost prohibitive

I agree Scott_T. Nevertheless I'd really like to know how much energy is consumed by that little machine. It would give us a better handle on the net resource savings if we knew its power consumption. Nothing is free and there is always a trade off. And this is a very small scale demo.

hattie, I am a recycler extraordinaire, as are most people in my area. I believe in this firmly, but there always has to be a financial benefit to make anything effective. Reselling recyclables is what they do in our area, and as long as the market prices hold there is demand and if there is demand for recycling is will be promoted and if it is promoted effectively (as it is here) people will participate without even thinking about it.

Just curious, do you forum folks recycle?

hattie
# Posted: 21 Mar 2011 21:10

I am a big fan of recycling. We actually donate all the cans we get (our guests are always leaving behind lots of empties) to the hockey team in the next town over and they sell them to raise money for their team.

As for the other plastics, the dump used to take pretty much anything. A couple of years ago the dump went under new management and they said it isn't worth doing as they can't make any money at it. They limit their recycling to milk jugs and number 2 plastic. It is very disheartening. The dump also used to have a GREAT area that people put anything that they thought still had some life left in it. It was the favourite place to "shop". Again, the new owners came in and bulldozed the entire area. After lots of complaints they are allowing it again but on a much smaller scale.

We also do a lot of composting. The compost we make is the best soil for growing veggies in. We did some experiments with our plantings and the difference is shocking. Even the stuff you buy that is supposed to be compost, doesn't grow nearly as well. We have two composters. One is the "active" one that we add to daily. The other is "cooking" (breaking down into dirt). It is the compost that we will screen and use in our gardens. The system seems to work really well and is so easy to do. We have bears in the area, but they have never once tried to break into the composters.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.