Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Waxing Philosophic, ear hair and all
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . >>
bobrok
# Posted: 22 Feb 2011 20:26

bb, I thought the same about my brother in law; his attitude and demeanor has changed so much for the better in the last half year I still can't believe it. Don't give up on siblings. Everybody's different and responds in their own way. They may just surprise you as did my brother in law.

bushbunkie
# Posted: 22 Feb 2011 20:28

Those were the good old days...oh crap, did I actually say that? I may be old...but not as old as Gary O...who loves yah? HA!

bushbunkie
# Posted: 22 Feb 2011 20:31

Thanks Bob...I actually don't mind surprises any more.:)

My last post by the way was in response to Bugs last post.
This is a popular place tonight!

ERin's#1Mom
# Posted: 22 Feb 2011 20:53

God bless you all....

bugs
# Posted: 22 Feb 2011 20:56

GO

Just a hyjack ps: In a certain safety deposit box I have a full series of all teams/players of the '67 NHL...... Wasn't that the last time the Leafs won the SC?

All the best

bugs

Gary O
# Posted: 22 Feb 2011 21:24 - Edited by: Gary O

Quoting: bugs
That was real hockey

Does bring a tear to eye.
Hull was my god (sometime after I found Dad to be a mere mortal).
I so wanted to go to a major league hockey game when I was in early high school.
We had the Portland Buckaroos, and they won many trophys.
Art Jones, Arnie and Cliff Schmatz, Connie Madigan, and the goalie, Don Head.
Went to as many games as they'd let me, staying after, grabbing a prize off the stick pile.
Not too many ice rinks around, so we played roller hockey in an old dilapidated gym until blisters bled. Never really knew how to skate, but it didn't matter. Flingin' that mush ball was huge.
Icing? What blue line?
Many years later, played league pool against Don Head. I was in awe. Beat his ass though.

Magnusun? #3?! DAMN!

Isn't great having your own OP.... You are never off topic.

OT?
moi?
au contraire

Gary O
# Posted: 22 Feb 2011 21:27

In a certain safety deposit box I have a full series of all teams/players of the '67 NHL

I feel a nugget of hate welling up........

Gary O
# Posted: 22 Feb 2011 21:48

Quoting: bobrok
I may be old...but not as old as Gary O...who loves yah? HA!

With all that love, I, well, uh........
Whazzat? Whoozair?
Nurse!

Gary O
# Posted: 2 Mar 2011 23:30 - Edited by: Gary O

OK, our cabins, and even thoughts of our cabins are an admitted form of escape.
For me, it's an escape from the dictates of the regimented tasks surrounding my work environment.
Sure, the contrasts of urban dwelling play a big part, but what has caught my attention of late is how a lot of us tend to generate all these things to do when planning a get away from things to do.
I've worked around tightly scheduled (very talented) individuals, that when going on vacation, generate a huge itinerary of going here or there at a certain time or day, reserving accommodations, scheduling even the purchase of the tickets for the scheduled events, and scheduling alternate events in case of weather, or an act of god (or satan)............
I find it more relaxing, and even more adventuresome to just go.
Just pack a few things, and go down the road.
One time we ended up on the coast, about 9pm. Turned out there was a major event happening, and we became part of a caravan of seekers of vacancies. We even started waving at each other while in route, feigning drag racing while at stop lights, pointing/mocking when getting the lead to the next motel entrance, and pointing back when the no vacancy sign came within sight. It turned in to a very fun happening all by itself. Kind of an unregimented rally.
Thought we'd be doing some car camping when we found an out-of-the-way place that became a favorite over the years.
Another time we decided to stay at one of those less than desirable places (like the ones we could afford when we met).
Auberge de Cinq et Demi seemed like a nice name, so I approached the quaint little barred window that displayed hourly rates. The gentleman of Pakistani origin, asked me, in a more than perfect, sing song rendition of the English language, to fill out the little card. So I paid the $25 and signed for the 'more than four hour' stay.
The quaint little room had quaint little 30 watt bulbs of which both gave the place the special ambiance of 'help me find my shoes, and I'll help you find your purse' essence.
It did have a hot tub spa. Turns out putting bubble bath in those things can become an event of its own.
The bed was....dark.
We decided to just lay on top of the covers.
It was quite hot, and since we had to turn the fan off due to the 'authentic old west atmosphere' dust storm it created, we just lay there naked as two ol' trysters should be......
The wife pointed out the mural of two manatees on the ceiling.
I pointed out that it was a mirror.
Now who could possibly schedule that much fun on purpose?
Any other cabiners feel the same way, or am I the odd one?

bushbunkie
# Posted: 3 Mar 2011 07:27

Quoting: Gary O
Now who could possibly schedule that much fun on purpose?

Best line, so far Gary!!! Thanks for the morning laugh.
I'm of to work to my "regimented 8 hour lifestyle"....but my screensaver always keeps me grounded.

bushbunkie
# Posted: 7 Mar 2011 11:38

So here I am, on the off ramp.
Happier than I've been in a while.
Not so restless with myself.

Where are you?

Hey Gary,
you've always got a good store of pics...here's one for the archives.
I keep it on my laptop at work to ensure I don't take my life and the role of work in my life... too seriously.
Sometimes I feel like the kid in the seat...enjoying the ride for what it's worth...other days...heck...I feel like the cat!
Life's not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Cheers.
kid in the seat enjoying the ride
kid in the seat enjoying the ride

Gary O
# Posted: 7 Mar 2011 14:20

Quoting: bushbunkie
it's about learning to dance in the rain

Man, I gotta steal that line, bush.
Here in the Pacific North Wet, that's about what ya gotta do (literally) if you're going to do anything at all.
Now, let's see; here I am at work, and about four people want to rain on my parade.......where's my dance shoes.........

Scott_T
# Posted: 7 Mar 2011 16:04

The is a GREAT picture!

Gary O
# Posted: 7 Mar 2011 16:19 - Edited by: Gary O

Quoting: Scott_T
a GREAT picture

It really is...permit me to ruin it a little bit........................
(yeah, it's a slow day at work)
CAT-A-PULT
CAT-A-PULT

naturelover66
# Posted: 7 Mar 2011 18:32

In the original pic........ the kids look terrified ........ LOLOL too funny.

Erin's#1Mom
# Posted: 7 Mar 2011 19:06

Gary O,
It's a good thing to have him talk about his past. It will help keep him grounded... Most folks try to change the subject when a elder talks about the past but it really is a good thing.
P.S. I love this discussion and the support shown regarding my daughter. Ya'll are truly GOOD people....

Erin's#1Mom
# Posted: 7 Mar 2011 19:15

Independent folk generally fight to keep their independence as long as they live, because they've fought and worked for it as long as they've lived
GaryO
My last post was in regard to the above quote....

Gary O
# Posted: 7 Mar 2011 19:20

Quoting: Erin's#1Mom
Most folks try to change the subject when a elder talks about the past but it really is a good thing.

It's really good for both parties.
The recollected clarity of the past of an aged, muddled mind is quite remarkable.
It's good to have a recorder handy.
Funny, I gave him a recorder once, and I got the same story over and over.....

Gary O
# Posted: 7 Mar 2011 19:55 - Edited by: Gary O

I'll tell you what's a bit weird and unsettling; Back in the 70s my brother bought a video recorder....over 4 grand (when 4 grand was, well, more)....took family vids, all the time. He had some converted to DVD. We recently sat and watched the 70s all over again. Gramma was in her 80s, Dad in his 50s, and I in my late 20s. Then I looked over at Dad (now Gramma's age), myself being his age when taped. What a time warp.
It was wonderful, however, to capture Gramma and her stories.'Cause when folks are gone, they're gone.
The rest of us were just goons, hamming it up in front of the lens.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 7 Mar 2011 20:05

It was wonderful, however, to capture Gramma and her stories.'Cause when folks are gone, they're gone.
The rest of us were just goons, hamming it up in front of the lens.

gary so true.............love heairng about the old days.
and you can learn a lot from the older generation.

Gary O
# Posted: 7 Mar 2011 20:11

Quoting: turkeyhunter
you can learn a lot from the older generation

It seems to be becoming a lost art, what with ear bud electronics creating all the white noise and all.
I have a fear for those that come after...maybe lessons will need to be re-learned....

bobrok
# Posted: 7 Mar 2011 20:25

My brother & I just sold our family house. Built in '29 by my grandparents on my mother's side & the only house that my brother has ever lived in. It took me a bit longer than planned cleaning out the attic. I spent too much time gathering together old 16mm projector and reels of movies, reel to reel tape recordings of my grandma, 78RPM phonograph records, etc. I'm gonna borrow them all from him and spend some time back in the 50's & 60's

Gary O
# Posted: 7 Mar 2011 20:33

Quoting: bobrok
I'm gonna borrow them all from him and spend some time back in the 50's & 60's

Take 'em in bob. Get 'em transfered to DVD.
Your kids will love you for it!

Gary O
# Posted: 11 Mar 2011 23:44 - Edited by: Gary O

I just got off the horn with my fisherman son.
His boats are safe, and him and his woman is safe.
Haven't seen him in months.
Hadn't even talked to him in months.

It was meat and drink to hear his voice tonight.

He sounded tired.
Fishing is work in the day, and work thru the night.
Big money in, bigger money out.
He's loved it forever, but he sounded tired, and seems to have a bit more savvy about him.
The sea is now his work place, no longer his play ground.

Cabi called him at 2AM this morn to warn him of the possible tsunami...........she has a sixth sense about her, thinking he wouldn't know......he didn't.
When she was talkin' to him, he opened the hatch and heard the harbor alarms.
He just now called to express his thanks.
He had a warmth about his voice.
A calmness.
There was a healing of a couple unattended wounds while we spoke.

I've often thought that I've done and seen maybe too much in life, cause nothing has phased me much in the last ten years. Maybe I was too callus, numb to emotion.
But my devil may care, bar brawling, scarred up, raw boned son just told me he loved me, his voice breaking as he spoke.

..............It took me down

bobrok
# Posted: 12 Mar 2011 00:05

I'm glad for you gary.

hattie
# Posted: 12 Mar 2011 00:22

Nice. *warm smile*

naturelover66
# Posted: 12 Mar 2011 11:34

teary eyed...... the joys of parenthood.

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 12 Mar 2011 19:35

Gary O,
Not just teary eyed but tears flowing for you. You can't tell us you are "too callus, numb to emotion". We read your emotion and spirit in each of your post.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 12 Mar 2011 19:49

GaryO---glad for ya bro---this is good for sure.

cabingal3
# Posted: 13 Mar 2011 01:03

agh.gar!!

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.