Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Uncle! When your ants won't leave
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Gary O
# Posted: 9 Mar 2011 21:08 - Edited by: Gary O

Yeah, Yzerman, and current players escape me.
I fell outta hockey when football and (of all things) tennis took my heart.
Golf and fishing have been my sports of late.
So, alas, I live in the hockey of lore.

However, how long is Yzerman's nose?

naturelover66
# Posted: 9 Mar 2011 21:14

lol hey, hes perfect. Him and his big nose. Im just pissed that he left detroit. How dare he right?? We gave him twenty years and he dissappears. We here in Detroit...... love cars, Motown music and ofcourse Hockey.

We dont love fire ants and will run like hell when they invade.

Oh, yeah ...... our football team sucks.

Oh well........ we still have hockey.

Gary O
# Posted: 9 Mar 2011 21:28

Never been around fire ants (that I know of), weird little thing like chiggers were a mistake to run into when I was rollin' on a lawn one summer down south.
Got some weird bugs down there. Seems every thing that moves will bitecha.
Got in the middle of a taranchula migration down near Del Rio...awesomely strange.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 9 Mar 2011 21:58

Quoting: naturelover66
So, do you have those killer bees down there too?? And exactly when do you think these fire ants of yours will be up north here ??

i hope you never have the fire ants, they are bad news for sure. I think it gets to cold up past southern TN for them......they would never survive the cold winter's "up nawth" :-)

Gary O
# Posted: 9 Mar 2011 22:48

Quoting: turkeyhunter
we did not have any untill the flood of '94, and now we have tons and they are headed NORTH!!!!...have been seen as far north as TN.

Well we've got possums from the south.
Ran across one back in the '70s when I moved back north. Thought I'd just seen 'Rat Kong' the biggest rat ever, until someone explained the migration.
Another is a thing called a nutria. Saw one when going after some cuts, thought was a beaver at first. Cabi and I even saw an albino nutria not long ago, on the pond by a place we just sold

Gary O
# Posted: 10 Mar 2011 09:23 - Edited by: Gary O

I should have titled this 'ants, hockey, and migrating critters.....
Reminds me of an ol' Appalachian song; 'I Wonder as I Wander'
Of which also reminds me............OK OK, ants is the topic.

Cabi and I really try hard to be DIY people, and if we're going to get poisoned, it might as well be self inflicted.

I gotta say, those exoskeletal critters are tough.
The multi pronged military tactic of surrounding the perimeter and snaring their trails on the interior seem to be most effective.

If they return enmasse, then I plan on joining the colony myself, and maybe secure an audience with her majesty, offering a peace offering cupcake of Diatomaceous earth with sugar and borax icing.........BRRUUUHOOOHAHAHA

However, I would have to really develop the tiny bit of human pheromonal activity under my arm pits in order to excrete (talk) my way past the drones and soldiers.

Or, in regard to a more enterprising attack, there are chocolate covered ant recipes:

Ingredients ;
100 Black Ants (avoid red ants, too spicy)
1 vanilla bean split and seeds scraped out
2 Egg Yolks
1 Tbsp. Sugar
1 tsp. Butter, melted
12 oz. Bittersweet Chocolate

Bon Appétit my tiny darlings

hattie
# Posted: 10 Mar 2011 12:41

Quoting: Gary O
Ingredients ;
100 Black Ants (avoid red ants, too spicy)
1 vanilla bean split and seeds scraped out
2 Egg Yolks
1 Tbsp. Sugar
1 tsp. Butter, melted
12 oz. Bittersweet Chocolate

GROSS!!! Remind me never to go to your place for dinner. *S*

Gary O
# Posted: 10 Mar 2011 15:27

Quoting: hattie
GROSS!!! Remind me never to go to your place for dinner. *S*

Geez Hats, they won't hurtcha.
Sometime last century a couple buddies hid a birthday cake in my office (on the floor under my desk) for a cantankerous ol' biddy production mgr's lunchtime surprise party.
When the time came to bring the cake out, we discovered it was covered in little red ants, so much so that it looked more to be a strawberry cake than a white one.
So, my buddy shut my office door and we went to work, first trying to pick them off, then, giggling our asses off, pushed them all into the icing, smoothing over the rough spots with our fingers.
The surprise party proceeded.
Everyone had cake.
Well almost everyone......
Didn't tell anyone until years later.

hattie
# Posted: 10 Mar 2011 15:43

Quoting: Gary O
we went to work, first trying to pick them off, then, giggling our asses off, pushed them all into the icing, smoothing over the rough spots with our fingers.
The surprise party proceeded.
Everyone had cake.

EWWWWW.....Double GROSS!!! *ROTFL* Well I've heard the expression "everyone must eat a peck of dirt before they die"....Never heard any mention of ants. Geez, now I'm getting itchy. YUCK!!!

naturelover66
# Posted: 10 Mar 2011 18:40 - Edited by: naturelover66

I was horseback riding an hour north of my little Deeeetroit suburb a few years ago and almost ran smack dab into a bionic ant mound. It was four feet tall. I couldnt believe my eyes as we streered around this enormous mass of bug debris. Im just glad my horse didnt spook and toss me into the thing. I had no idea these critters could build a nest this tall. Scarey.

How did we get on this topic again??
OH....... Its Turkeyhunters fault. Him and his fire ants.

Gary O--- You fed your coworkers ants ala cake ?? Omg. Sick.. very sick........ i cant believe you had the nerve to tell them. Who knows what was put in your lunch after that huh??
I hope you changed jobs.

Did anyone see the Move Chara pulled the other night on the ice ?? Nearly killed his poor opponent. Just viscious.

OH...... hey, the Cabelas Home and Cabin catalog just came in the mail today. Yippee. The hubby said he wants a pine cone TP holder for the cabin.

bobrok
# Posted: 10 Mar 2011 19:05

Back in my gluttonous days (b4 they invented cholesterol) I placidly sat on a boat dock and polished off a half box of chocolate chip cookies, popping them one after another into my mouth while being distracted by who knows what and not paying attention to the fact that the box and cookies therein were ant infested.
Wish I had that recipe back then.

Gary O
# Posted: 10 Mar 2011 19:13 - Edited by: Gary O

Last week I swilled a cold cup of coffee after a meeting.......found a fly in the bottom.
"What goes around...........

naturelover66
# Posted: 10 Mar 2011 19:22

GaryO -- Do we get to read about this Tarranchula Migration story?

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 10 Mar 2011 19:38 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

How did we get on this topic again??
OH....... Its Turkeyhunters fault. Him and his fire ants.

ok blame me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

the southern FIRE ant eater!!!!!!!

Gary O
# Posted: 10 Mar 2011 20:21

Git the kettle hot!
Dead Dilla dumplins' tooonat!

Gary O
# Posted: 10 Mar 2011 20:21 - Edited by: Gary O

Tarranchula Migration story?

Not much of a story really.
My buddy George and I were headed from Houston to El Paso, bombin' thru towns, non-stop. His state, not mine, he narrated the terrain as my '66 SS kept us low to the ground.
Ran into a hail storm somewhere between Corpus and Del Rio.
Everyone was stopped.
There we sat.
My chevy getting' beat to a pulp.
We crept around cars and got thru the storm in about 30 seconds.
The rear view mirror showed everyone still sittin' out the hail.
Paralyzed.
Day became night after staring at the sun for a couple hours. We stopped west of Del Rio to fuel up.

There was a little open air bar roadside (yeah, they just take the walls off), so we stopped.
Round tables.
Barrel chairs.
A bar.
Each table had a big wooden bowl of tortilla chips, and a tiny gourd of hot sauce.
Beer, chips, more chips and half the gourd of sauce.
OH MOMMY!
BEEEEER!
They mercifully brought me a plate of tortillas.
Knowing smiles (damn Gringo).

Went down the hwy about 20 mi when I saw what I thought was tiny tumble weeds blowin' across the road.
I woke my bud
"What's that 2by?"
"Tranchlas"
"What"
"Migration...time of year"
I had to stop.
There they trudged, across the hwy and down into a ravine, far as you could see, both ways.
Can't remember how wide the trek was, but it seemed minutes before we drove outta them.
Texas has some strange terrain, and stranger critters. No wonder they love it so.

naturelover66
# Posted: 10 Mar 2011 21:49

wow....... ive never been to Texas. I volunteered at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Southern Utah last year for a couple weeks. Literally drove across Arizona and Nevada while i was there. I was amazed by the beauty of the land........ such a contrast to the Pine covered landscape of the upper Midwest. Beautiful coral canyons and prehistoric rock formations i was awed by. I met lovely Navaho people who sold Jewlery by the roadside in 110 degree heat. Never saw an Armadillo though. I did stumble upon a Native American Cemetary down a gravel road .......... it was deserted with only 30 or so gravesites. Headstones were hand carved rocks or a simple piece of pottery. I was there all of five minutes just taking in the beauty of the landscape when an Eagle soared overhead and screamed. It felt sureal...... like something you would see in an old Western Movie. It was one of the single most amazing moments of my life. Words cant explain the beauty of our country. We need to really protect our National Parks. I had no idea Spiders Migrate i guess.

TurkeyHunter --- Did you kill that poor Armadillo ?????????????

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 10 Mar 2011 22:44 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

TurkeyHunter --- Did you kill that poor Armadillo ?????????????

just for YOU!!!!!!!!!! he was eating my seeds in one of my foodplots....

btw ---that was really great, about the eagle at cemetary....we do need to protect our National Forests/parks.,,so true!!!!!

naturelover66
# Posted: 11 Mar 2011 21:23

Poor Aardy..... so sad. He was just hungry.
Maybe to make it up to him you should start a little Aardvark Sanctuary...... a place where all Aardvarks can live in peace and harmony. Have a few males, a few females........ ensure they dont become extinct. Give them your seeds and bugs to eat.......
Keep the species thriving.
What do you say Turkeyhunter ?? lol.

Does anyone remember Grizley Adams ?? The TV show?? I was 8 years old and wanted to marry that guy. lolol
HE was a true outdoorsman.

Gary O
# Posted: 11 Mar 2011 21:44

Does anyone remember Grizley Adams ??

Real life, he woulda ended up like Tim Treadwell.
Lotsa well meaning people got themselves in trouble trying to emulate that kinda situation.
TV is a curse for impressionable people

naturelover66
# Posted: 11 Mar 2011 21:49

It was the seventies........ Grizley Adams was my hero !!! lolol
And yes, TV is a curse.

Gary O
# Posted: 11 Mar 2011 22:00

It was the seventies

Yeah, I'm kinda glad I missed '70s TV. Seems the only good thing was SNL
Old live '50s TV was the greatest. Didn't even know how good it was at the time. Anything 'on' was great....when you could find a TV.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 11 Mar 2011 22:11

Does anyone remember Grizley Adams ??

know him !!!!!! :-) one of my fav's back in the day----if you don't watch you are going to give away our AGE!!!!!
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

all dillia's i see DIE on the farm!!!!!!

Gary O
# Posted: 11 Mar 2011 22:15

Quoting: turkeyhunter
----if you don't watch you are going to give away our AGE!!!!!

Kids

cabingal3
# Posted: 13 Mar 2011 01:32

well after chewing a few ants here and there.after going thru the house with a fine tooth comb...and finding lots of interesting things in our house like oreo cookies with the middle licked out and tossed up in the top of my craft room book shelves.i asked mayo my little grandson about this.he is the only one who does this.he pleaded innocence.snicker.sure buddy.sure.
i found lots of the sour sugar candy powder and gummi worms stuck in the rug.see my daughter and grandkids just moved out of here not so long ago.so we went thru everything.i am keeping an eye out for them when they come over.and also hoover about and spray and spray ant spray and u know.we have not had ants hardly any.i think a bit more and we should be rid of those little buggers.

hattie
# Posted: 13 Mar 2011 12:34

Grizley Adams was my hero !!!

Mine too. *S*

rayyy
# Posted: 20 Mar 2011 07:56

We get the ants,black flys,sketers,box elder beatles,ladybugs,wood boaring bees,whiteface hornets,paper wasps,yellow jackets,termites,fleas,house flys,daddy long legs,bumble bees,honeycomb wasps,,,, Hummmm,,,do ya think an aardvark would like to eat a much nicer variety of bugs?Hummm I wonder if they can be house broke?Maybe share the litter box or the back yard?Hummm it'd make me a nice pet!

bobrok
# Posted: 20 Mar 2011 16:27

Oh, geez, rayyy. Did you HAVE to remind me about black flies :-(

hattie
# Posted: 20 Mar 2011 18:20

I just ordered a bunch of bugs for our greenhouse. Probably the only person who actually PAYS for bugs to come INTO the house. But they are supposed to eat the bad bugs (aphids and whiteflies)..hmmmm.....we'll see. I have a feeling all they will eat is the money out of my wallet.

Gary O
# Posted: 20 Mar 2011 19:09 - Edited by: Gary O

Quoting: rayyy
ladybugs

Quoting: rayyy
daddy long legs

Hey Rayyy, ladybugs are good right?
And daddy longlegs are just kinda fun to watch, loping around, sticking out their stringy legs, like 'hey put 'er there', 'or there'...... 'HAHA tricked ya, put 'er there'
However, their venom is supposed to be more potent than rattlers, but their mouths are too tiny to gitcha....

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.