Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Cabin Fever/Cabin Food
darz5150
# Posted: 7 Feb 2019 01:05

Does any one else have favorite winter cabin recipes? We like making things like ham n beans,
Stews, chili, home made soups etc on the woodstove.
Here's a pic that shows the cabin fever/food combo.
Its a cornbread Pac Man and a deer sausage.lol
WacaWacaWaca
WacaWacaWaca

slatecreek
# Posted: 7 Feb 2019 10:03

Cornbread with ham and bean soup, Can't beat it.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 7 Feb 2019 11:18

Mostly things that can be made in one pot . Looks great wish I had smell a web .

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 7 Feb 2019 11:22

The old fashioned city favorite the crock pot will soon be replaced by the Ninja Foodie a awesome machine that can do multiple things.

Being off grid rules that out so I am adapting my recipes to a porcelain coated cast iron Dutch oven. I did not buy the most popular outrageously priced version. I found a new one from the local grocery for $25 in a after Christmas sale.
I’m not allowed a wood stove so it’s slow baking in the oven.
I bought a recipe book devoted to Dutch oven cookery from Amazon so I can add some new dinners.
So far I’ve made beef stew, a whole chicken with vegetables and a pot roast with vegetables.
I want to try rice pudding next. I always make it in the crock pot.

darz5150
# Posted: 7 Feb 2019 14:33

Good point about the crock pot and dutch oven SWLady. We bake homemade bread in the crock pot and cornbread also. Sometimes will make a nice thick stew. And when it is almost done we will put biscuits on top and cook it till the biscuits are done. We also do chili with cornbread on the top the same way.👍

frankpaige
# Posted: 7 Feb 2019 16:56

No electricity. Learning to use pressure cooker for recipes so Jenny doesn't run that long. Have done the stew, beans and ham. Now! If I can get corn bread done it it? It's Golden!

fiftyfifty
# Posted: 7 Feb 2019 20:51

Because we have only a cooler instead of a fridge, and only a butane burner instead of a real stove, and no electricity, we don't do much real cooking up at the cabin. Instead we make a lot of things (chili, soups, pesto, wild rice etc) and freeze them. The frozen food acts as the "ice packs" for the cooler, and we just thaw them and heat them up on the butane burner r woodstove as needed. Of course we do cook simple things like eggs and pancakes. And of course fry up any fish we catch.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 7 Feb 2019 22:10

frankpaige, if you have a cast iron frying pan and a gas grill you can bake corn bread or anything else that needs baking through indirect heat in a propane grill.

darz5150
# Posted: 7 Feb 2019 22:28

We make a stuffed Pork loin.
Take a larger pork loin. You can cut it like a fillet by cutting it on the long side, and unroll it while cutting it about an inch thick. Or you can butterfly cut it, or simply hollow a hole in the middle.
We partially cook breakfast sausage,
or even better, a spicey cajun andoullie sausage taken out of the casing. Stuff it or roll it up in the loin. Then wrap the whole thing with thick sliced bacon tied on with butchers twine.Squirt it with apple juice, add some spices. Then throw it in a crock pot, dutch oven, or wrap it with foil and throw it on the grill.
If we do it on the grill, for a side dish.
We take a large sweet onion. Hollow out a space in the center core. Then put in a beef boullion cube. Fill it with butter. Smear butter on the outside. Then cut about 6 slices from the top down about 3/4 of way to the bottom.
Wrap it in foil and throw it on the grill.
When its done it is as soft as warm butter and almost falls apart.
We call it a Red Neck bloomin' onion.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 8 Feb 2019 10:27

I come from a long line of mennonite pie makers lol. My grandmother and mother make the best pies and I try to live up to the tradition. An old mennonite favourite is called shoefly pie and we usually make it when we are st the cabin. It is a pie made with brown sugar, molasses and flour. We eat it at breakfast time with coffee. Great energy boost for s day in the Bush

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.