Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / On Life...and Death
bobrok
# Posted: 1 Mar 2011 16:28

This is not meant to be a gloomy post. In the past few weeks some of us here have shared with each other a lot of emotion, problems, advice and encouragement. I want to share the end of a story with you and hopefully encourage you all to continue to do your best.

On Friday last week, exactly 22 years to the day and almost to the exact hour that I lost my father in law, my friend and fishing partner, my mother in law passed away while at home and in the care of friends and family. It was peaceful. She had a good life.

To all of you who are caring for ill or elderly family or freinds, keep doing what you are doing. You will be thankful you did.

bob

hattie
# Posted: 1 Mar 2011 19:13

I am so sorry to hear of your loss bobrok.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 1 Mar 2011 19:45

sorry for your family's loss----prayers sent

bugs
# Posted: 1 Mar 2011 21:26

The pain will pass with time and the memories will endure.

Gary O
# Posted: 1 Mar 2011 21:38 - Edited by: Gary O

Quoting: bobrok
my mother in law passed away while at home and in the care of friends and family. It was peaceful. She had a good life.

To all of you who are caring for ill or elderly family or freinds, keep doing what you are doing. You will be thankful you did.

That, bob, is an element of life too often missed, returning care to those that gave care, to the very end. It has it's own reward.

Gramma raised me.
Actually, she raised everyone in our country neighborhood.
She made a home with little, but always clean.
The aroma from her kitchen was everlasting.
She could turn corn bread and hominy into a feast.
Always a pie or cobbler.
Always a huge garden.
Always tending something, or someone.
She could give you a bath with a teaspoon of water.
Ever so often, we'd head to 'Monkey' Wards in the old 51 Chevy.
It was her outing.
Most times we'd be picking up something like a post hole digger, or a part for a pressure cooker that she'd ordered, nothin' fancy.
She lived to be 97, out living three husbands.
A year after one of them passed, she'd go to Mode-O-Day, buy a bright flowered dress, get her hair done, put on a bit of rouge, and snag another one.
They died happy.
She had a genuine warmth that accepted anyone, and a kindness that made her home yours.
Nothing gushy, just down home, grapes of wrath folk.
Plain speaking.
She had an economy with words.
Names of things and places were all called 'whatchcallit'.
She had huge, pillowy gramma arms, and when she'd settle you down for a nap they'd envelope you.
No one got away.
Work for her was recreation, rewarding, sustaing.

Of anyone's passing, hers I feel the most.

As it's been said, a full life, well lived.
Her last words to me was, "I just want to be where there's life".
She passed away in a nursing home.
I don't think it right to have let that happen.

Sorry for your loss bob, but so happy for her to have passed while in the care of loved ones.

olfool
# Posted: 1 Mar 2011 21:57

I know what you are saying. I just lost a brother 2 weeks ago this Friday that I was caring for. Not easy to do, but you take care of family. Least that's how I was raised.
Some of it I wish I could forget, some I hope I never forget. Overall, no regrets. Caregivers are a special breed, and I hold them in high reguard.

bushbunkie
# Posted: 2 Mar 2011 07:56

Quoting: bobrok
o all of you who are caring for ill or elderly family or freinds, keep doing what you are doing. You will be thankful you did.

Thanks for those words, Bobrok......I'll take them to heart....sorry for your loss.

bobrok
# Posted: 3 Mar 2011 23:56

Just wanted to say thank you to all of you.

neb
# Posted: 5 Mar 2011 20:02

Great post and my thoughts are with you.

naturelover66
# Posted: 6 Mar 2011 15:51

So Sorry for your loss Bob...........

Naturelover66

cabingal3
# Posted: 12 Mar 2011 22:33

my mother died at 52 and i was up north.dad passed away at 59 not much after that.i missed caring for them or helping them.it sort of fell upon my sister .
so since i was up here and missed it.i got into caregiving and have done hospice and helped the elderly pass on easily as could be hoped for.
then a couple of years ago my brother passed away.now that one hit me.hits home when u are all getting old and its your sibling.
the funny part of this story..not to be disrespectful is that my brother that passed away and my younger brother went on road trips all the time and we had the dead brother creamated.so my little brother still has him in his truck in the passenger side of his truck.and they still go on road trips together.sort of funny.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.