Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Drones as a cool tool
darz5150
# Posted: 14 May 2019 23:05

I got a quad copter a few weeks ago. After I got the hang of flying it. I practiced getting good video shots. I figured I would use it to inspect my roof. I haven't been up there for a few years. Anyhoos, I was able to locate a small dip in the roof that you can't see from the ground. Went in the attic and found the spot. I guess I had stepped on an H clip. Checked out the rest of the roof. Turbine vent, tarred seams and solar panel mounts gutters etc. All good. Plus I didn't have to climb a ladder. 👍
Now here's the funny part. I flew it across the creek from the cabin. Turned it to take some pics. And then I realized I never finished painting the side of the outhouse that sits on a steep bank of the creek. That outhouse has been there 13 years and I never noticed that.
So if you already have all the tools you need. For about the same price as a decent cordless drill. You can get a good inspection camera that you can have fun with when your not inspecting things. LOL.

paulz
# Posted: 4 Dec 2020 10:10

Good story darz. So yesterday I got my Harbor Freight 25% off coupon for this weekend. And got on the web site to see what I could buy. A drone with camera! $50 less 25%.

Check it out, good enough for a beginner?

https://www.harborfreight.com/high-performance-drone-with-480p-cameravideo-56814.html

darz5150
# Posted: 4 Dec 2020 10:46

Paulz. Looks good to me for a starter. I have since added more to my redneck airforce. I think you will have a blast with it. Get extra batteries if you can..

darz5150
# Posted: 4 Dec 2020 10:51

Paulz. Check out my New Bridge post. It has some pics from a more advanced drone that I have. You can literally program them to fly themselves.

paulz
# Posted: 5 Dec 2020 11:08

Thanks darz. Went to HF yesterday, they were out of them! Dang. Bought another motion light instead.

But I'll get one when they come back. I'm sure I'll find a good use for it, other than harassing the dog.

paulz
# Posted: 20 Jun 2021 22:05 - Edited by: paulz

Got a drone for Father's day. Just a HF cheapo. But geez, it has more controls than my backhoe. I may be in too deep. What the heck is 'headless mode'?
drone.JPG
drone.JPG

darz5150
# Posted: 20 Jun 2021 22:48

Quoting: paulz
What the heck is 'headless mode'?

That makes it to where the drone flies whatever direction you move the joystick, as opposed to controlling it like you are in the driver's seat, so to speak if that makes any sense. Never really use that mode. After all, if you are getting ready to smash the drone into your cabin or whatever. Just yank the stick back. Lol.

paulz
# Posted: 26 Jun 2021 16:32

Directions for learning to fly a drone:

1. Find the largest empty space around.
2. Go find someplace twice that big.
3. Wear comfortable walking shoes.
4. Have a ladder handy.
5. Tie the dog up.

This may not be the most useful thing I've gotten lately but it's the most fun! Still need a bunch of seat time. Thanks for the prod Darz.

darz5150
# Posted: 26 Jun 2021 22:38

Thanks for the prod Darz.

👍
Sounds like you got bitten by the drone bug. The only thing I could add to your list,
#6 Grappling hook with a 30 foot rope.
Don't ask me why. You know. Lol. Also, always leave the camera on. Sometimes the last few seconds of the video are the best.😲😫🤯

Steve_S
# Posted: 27 Jun 2021 08:50

When I was a kid, I started playing with string controlled planes and those horrid little Cox 0.49 motors... aq sound that one can never forget ugh... Then I got into RC but that was crazy expensive so after a couple of nasty crashes I could not afford to keep playing with that.

These new drones and the latest tech is incredible. I'm seeing RC Planes made from foams etc but with the great new electronics including FPV (First Person View) so you can actually see things from the cockpit point of view. The prices are also a Heap Load more respectable as well.

Has anyone played with the new RC Planes ?
If so, any feedback thoughts would be appreciated.

paulz
# Posted: 28 Jun 2021 10:08

I tried the FPV mine has yesterday. But before I could focus on what I'm looking at it crashed, every time. Once it's in the air I'm looking at 360 degrees of trees, good part of the problem. A very humbling device. This is going to be a slow process.

I do see it as a useful tool though, provided I can master it. I could fly it from the cabin down to my front gate or the shop for a security check or what have you.

darz5150
# Posted: 29 Jun 2021 00:36

A very humbling device. This is going to be a slow process.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Instead of trying to fly FPV, maybe try putting a solo cup 100 feet away, then flying to it, and blow it over.
FPV has a slight delay to it. So what you see, might have been what happened 1/2 a second ago.
I fired one of mine up earlier. After it linked up FPV. I picked it up, instead of taking off. I spun it around, and watched how much staggger/delay there was..not much, but just enough to see how much it was.
Maybe try that with yours. That way you can see the stagger.
I am not an expert. But it's the same thing as getting a new bbq grill. Sometimes you need to learn how to cook a hotdog before you grill a brisket. Lol.
You'll get the hang of it!👍

darz5150
# Posted: 29 Jun 2021 00:57 - Edited by: darz5150

Quoting: darz5150
Sometimes the last few seconds of the video are the best.😲😫🤯

I had video of me learning to set the drone to automatically fly to pre set way points.
But forgot to set the altitude.
I hit the top of an 85 foot tree. Then watched it tumble down in the creek. It still recorded for a few seconds underwater. Lol.
I recovered it. Used a blow dryer to dry it out.
I flew that same drone tonite. For almost an hour. They are built pretty well I guess.

Homesteadalaska
# Posted: 29 Jun 2021 02:51

That’s a good idea to use the drone that way. I used mine to locate areas of dead timber on my property and possible roads I could cut to get to it. I also use it to locate bears in bear country. It was scary to think about how often I had walked in a place where there were 3 or 4 brown bears, including sows and cubs, yet I had no idea they were even there till I flew the drone overhead.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.