Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / grandkids
cabingal3
# Posted: 13 Mar 2011 00:34 - Edited by: cabingal3

this is a story my grandson told to his class about our cabin.i had to share it.wondered what u think u have imparted to your kids or grandkids with your cabin building experinces or your living in nature with your cabin.

my grandma's cabin is really big and we went to it last summer.But when we went to it,they were still putting up the walls which were hard.So we drove for about 12 hours or more and as soon as we got there we unpacked and started building for a little bit.Then we saw this cat with with no tail and its eye was gone and that really freaked out my grandma and my grandpa shot it cause we all knew it was suffering and we buried it and then it was nite and we told ghost stories and then we went into the cabin with no walls up and i went to sleep.I was freezing and it was the coldest nite i ever felt.Later that nite i woke up and did not know where i was at but i remembered and about that time i saw something fly by me but then i just drifted back into dreamland.When i woke up i was tired but still got up to smell something good.it was heavenly smelling and birds were to a toon and guess what the smell was?It was burning marshmallows.that was the best smell in the world.I walked over to it and my grandparents were eating marshmallows by the crackling fire and laughing too.when i realized what they were laughing at i got a bit embarrassed cause my hair was sticking out side to side.the end.
my funny little buddies. i so enjoy them.today papaw Gary O was in our home with them and this little fellow did not know how to make a packet of hot water.our microwave bit the dust.he came to papaw complexed on how to do this with no microwave.papaw directed him to the tea kettle on the stove top.
sure am gonna love to take them to our woods this summer for a week.

cabingal3
# Posted: 13 Mar 2011 01:01

u know...i am so looking forward to the summer and me and gar taking our grandkids down to the property.we got them tool boxes and tools for xmas.The younger boy is interested in everything.I want to show them how to play in the woods.All my childhood we ran all the woods.Our place in town is surrounded by woods.Theres alot of kids in this neighborhood.We never see anyone outside.I never saw the likes of this.Our grandsons here and at there home-stick inside to the electronics.If i had lived where we do in town...i would have discovered all the surrounding woods around here.When we took them to the woods...i had to show them how to do stuff that should come naturally.The new movie ,"grownups" so made me laugh and think it is so true.these kids dont know how to do things in the woods.when we took the little boys-I had to show them how to make a lean to shelter to be in.They would not get in it.The younger boy is more game for about anything.He did get out there and roll his sleeves up and have a great ole time.In fact i hardly saw him.He discovered that there was massive grasshoppers out in the meadow.I gave him a container with a lid and poked holes in the top and he was gone.all we ever saw of him all day is running one way and another in the back meadow.Now the older boy had just gotten his own cell phone.He was calling ma to say there was no food here at camp(no fast foods).Everything was yucky.snicker.those dog gone cell phones.thank goodness he does not have one anymore.well he finally did get interested when i showed them how to catch a chipmunk as there very own pet.i pretty much knew they would not catch one.I got our metal dishpan and tied a sting to the stick i put under the dishpan.we put food under the dishpan.the older boy was going to tell the younger one when the chipmunk got under the pan-to pull.so this kept them busy for a while.
now i am excited for this summer.they are older. i will be babysitting them the summer.I cannt wait for them to get out on the new property that we just bought that connects to our old land.theres a mobile home on there to explore.there is all kinds of things to do.Gar is gonna teach them to build a fire.Gar has let them shoot his guns.I want to have us play board games in the fire lit with our newly built picnic table. i feel we need to build a loft up top for them to tuck into in the nite.that would be a thrill for them.i sure do not want them sleeping with us.they climb up our ole bodies in the nite.what things do u do or plan to do in the coming summer months with the grandkids or kids out at your summer cabin?
i plan to show them how to make pine needle tea.
show them the teeny tiny wild strawberries.
i want to get one of those over the fire popcorn poppers and do this with them.
I want them to loosen up.and enjoy things.not be all confined .the area they can run is close to 3 acres.they are 8 and 11.they should be fine.

hattie
# Posted: 13 Mar 2011 01:04

cabingal3 - Aren't grandkids just the greatest?! *S* My daughter, son-in-law, grandson and my son all surprised me the other day with a visit. It was the first time I held our grandson since he was born in December. What a thrill!!!!! I didn't want to let him go home with them. I'm still grinning from ear to ear. Can't wait until they come back in April for ONE WHOLE WEEK!!!!!!! YESSSSSS.....

cabingal3
# Posted: 13 Mar 2011 01:23

hey Hattie.gal,love those grandkids too pieces i tell u.we take care of our grandsons from sunday afternoon to wed.afternoon when i take them home from school.and then we have them friday nite and sat.till mama comes to get them.When mama came today-they did not want to go.I get pretty tired.we went to the park yesterday.Me and Gar and the little doll babies.we stopped by the dollar store and got badmittions and hand balls and had the best time.it was one clear day of sun and spring air before a week of rain.they had so much fun and so did we.We played badmittion with them and hand ball and then we watched them play on the playground.it was so fun.This morining Gar started us a fire in the out back firepit.Mayo the 8 yr old is a long tall skinny string bean of a child.so cute.he likes everything tiny.so he ran inside to get minature marshmallows to roast.just make s us laugh.then he came out with newspaper to burn and then he wanted to try to pour some hot sauce on the fire to see what would happen.then he wanted to toss a raw egg on the fire to see what would happen.i was sort of glad for mama to come so we could get out of all those exciting ideas he was cooking up for us.
hee hee.gotta love them.

cabingal3
# Posted: 13 Mar 2011 01:26 - Edited by: cabingal3

this is the funny part about this story by my older grandson.i think he was in 3rd grade when he wrote this.
i will correct the story.
my grandma's cabin is really big and we went to it last summer.But when we went to it,they were still putting up the walls which were hard.So we drove for about 12 hours or more (SNICKER...IT IS 5 HOURS AWAY BUT TO TWO BOYS CRAMMED INTO THE BACK OF THE JEEP...IT MAY OF SEEMED LIKE 12 HOURS)and as soon as we got there we unpacked and started building for a little bit.Then we saw this cat with with no tail and its eye was gone and that really freaked out my grandma and my grandpa shot it cause we all knew it was suffering and we buried it(ANOTHER FUNNY ONE.HE WAS ACTUALLY NEVER THERE.I GUESS HE WAS LISTENING AS WE TOLD THIS AND HE THINKS HE WAS THERE TOO.HA HA HA ) and then it was nite and we told ghost stories and then we went into the cabin with no walls up and i went to sleep.I was freezing and it was the coldest nite i ever felt.(THIS ONE IS TRUE.)Later that nite i woke up and did not know where i was at but i remembered and about that time i saw something fly by me but then i just drifted back into dreamland.When i woke up i was tired but still got up to smell something good.it was heavenly smelling and birds were to a toon(THIS KILLS ME...A TOON.NOT A TUNE.SO FUNNY) and guess what the smell was?It was burning marshmallows.that was the best smell in the world.I walked over to it and my grandparents were eating marshmallows by the crackling fire and laughing too.when i realized what they were laughing at i got a bit embarrassed cause my hair was sticking out side to side.the end

THEY ARE DELITEFUL.

cabingal3
# Posted: 13 Mar 2011 01:52

when i was a kid in the south...we would catch fireflies in the evening.it was so fun to see them lit up all outside and then inside in our jars.
we would chase wild pigs.
we were 6 and 7 and would take dads boat out into the lake and fish.
we shot bb guns at things we should not of done.
we put firecrackers in coke bottles.and we tossed them at each other.we never came inside if we could help it.went to the swamp to catch snakes and swing on a rope swing above the swamp.we had such a fun childhood because of nature.
what things did u do as a kid tht u would want to show your grandkids or kids?

hattie
# Posted: 13 Mar 2011 12:31

Kids today just don't know how to have REAL fun. *S* Every Saturday morning Mom would make me a fried egg sandwich. I'd grab it and run to my neighbour's house and she'd come out with her Saturday morning fried egg sandwich. *S* We'd do our daydreaming and planning while we ate on her back step.

My childhood was spent turning my wagon into a covered wagon and building "forts"....Dunno why I love this small cabin forum so much, eh?! *LOL* I'd pick berries, grass, leaves and whatever I could find and pretend to cook it over a pretend fire. *LOL* And the very best was if the folks bought a new appliance that came in a big cardboard box. I'd play with that for days on end until the box fell apart.

Dad put in a pool one year and built a shed to house all the chemicals and stuff. I was beside myself with excitement as I watched that shed go up. When Dad finally finished, he loaded all the pool supplies in it. He was none too happy when he came home from work to find the pool supplies in a pile in the backyard and my friend and I playing happily in our new "house". *LOL* I'd go to bed at night to come out in the morning and find all the pool supplies back in the shed and the whole thing would repeat again. Dad finally gave up and the shed was mine. *grin* He put the pool supplies in the garage.

My plan for the grandkids is "no technology when you're at Grandma's". That will be okay when they are small, but I'm sure they will grow to hate us for the rule. I want imagination to rule out here - it will probably be the only place they will actually use it.

cabingal3
# Posted: 13 Mar 2011 13:30

Quoting: hattie
Every Saturday morning Mom would make me a fried egg sandwich. I'd grab it and run to my neighbour's house and she'd come out with her Saturday morning fried egg sandwich. *S* We'd do our daydreaming and planning while we ate on her back step.

omg! hattie u are a gal after my own heart.now this is real living.i ate my share of fried egg sand.when i was a kid.i love them to this day.my grandkids would think they were in hades if they ate one.lol.i love them with mayo and sliced onions.no better eating and so plain and simple.
yes.i hear u on the cardboard box.i will say our grandkids so make the best use of cardboard boxes.they do everything with them.they would flatten them at our old house and ride down the stairs with them on the boxes.and then get up and do it again.this is what i want to show the boys...just what u are talking about.these kids have had cell phones and they were 6 yrs old.they have had so many play stations.these are not uncostly items.even the games are like 50 bucks each.we never had this much spent on us our whole childhood.it was not important as we had the out of doors to run in and discover.i even worry about the grandkids health sitting inside so much.
me too gal.i would pick everything up in Michigan and eat it.we found berries and filberts and choke cherrries nd some kind of wintermint berries low to the ground.we ate them.no one told us if they were edible or not.we survived and are better for it.
yeah.i think the no technology at grandmas is a good idea for most not for us.i did do alot of stuff with the boys when little as i got a swimming pool in the winter and put it in our house and filled it with lentils.they swam in lentils,they poured them from cup to cup and dish to dish.they threw them .we moved and moved again and i was still finding lentils in the sofa and all kinds of places.
i use to make little cities out of dirt...and clip off bits of branches with red berries of some sort.and plant those around the dirt house i had made...they were my apple trees.i made my own daughter a barbie house out of lots of cardboard boxes all piled ontop of each other.each cardboard box was a room.she had the cutest barbie house from us making it and the furniture together.
i now let them do the electronic thing cause other wise they would hang from the chandeliers.lol.
so u sure know whaat i am talking about...when u tell me of your shed your dad built and how it became your play house and all the fun things u did.u know what i mean.
theres alot of stuff we can do that helps us in the process...like for 1 buck i got a puzzle of the united states.well it took me forever to put that dog gone thing together.lol.the boys did not take as long.i want to offer them things i know.like i have alot of sayings.i do not know if they are from me being a southern gal but i say lets make hay while the sun shines.my older grandson always likes these sayings.
i say eat this and it will put hair on your chest.he is like wtheck?
or oh look.here comes death eating a cracker.he is always having his ears perk up at these sayings.
my grannies were everything to me. i think the little boys are so lucky to have their grandpa too.to teach them things.how to build a bird house or something.Gar has let jess use his power drill...the battery operated one.they are so fun.

cabingal3
# Posted: 28 Mar 2011 17:25

today is national cook something on a stick day so i made my homemade dough.i guess i will wrap a raw bit of bread dough around the stick and let the grandsons cook it.then i will have a little vat of melted butter for them to dip the cooked bread dough in.I also am having them plant some green peppers.Mayo the 8 yr.old ate a ton of green peppers just so he could get the seeds.we saved them.and i have some heirloom tomato seeds and egg carton containers and potting soil.so the boys are doing this today too.should be fun.and we are putting plastic easter eggs all over the trees outside.
i asked them if they wanted to go to the woods with us.they said no.then i told them they could hammer apart the camper out there and they grinned from ear to ear and are going now.hee hee.little scal-a-wags!

Just
# Posted: 28 Mar 2011 21:45

We got to see our two youngest today . I had to see my doc in the city so we surprised them at Will's [he's 5] carroty lesson .. gramma brought easter candy to there delight,, we got to hug them for an hour or so thats got to do us till we see them next !!!!!
an't they great!!!

Gary O
# Posted: 28 Mar 2011 21:49

Quoting: Just
an't they great!!!

The best this place has to offer, the very best

hattie
# Posted: 28 Mar 2011 22:05

That's what it's all about. *S*

I'm counting down the days till my kids, grandson and Mom all come out here for one, whole, fabulous, I can't wait to hug 'em all, week in April!!!! Been cooking up a storm and the freezer is bulging. *grin*

Gary O
# Posted: 28 Mar 2011 23:13

can't wait to hug 'em all

They just can't get away, no matter how they may want too (notice the eyes)
homemade squeezins'
homemade squeezins'

hattie
# Posted: 29 Mar 2011 00:12

GaryO - That is too cute. *S*

cabingal3
# Posted: 29 Mar 2011 16:38 - Edited by: cabingal3

ha ha.gar,u are so cute.our little buddy.here he is now.yesterday we ended up cooking everything u could imagen on a stick cause it was cook something on a stick day.here is this grandson now.all grown up.this is the one i take care of still and this is how gar is hugging.we so enjoy them.Mayo is 8 and he cooked banana peels and then a banana slice and he flung it and we have not found this yet.the only way we can get them to the woods is to promise they can use a hammer to tear stuff apart.ha ha ha.hugs cabi3
mayo and cooking
mayo and cooking

cabingal3
# Posted: 29 Mar 2011 16:42

can u guess what this is?? hmmm.the older boy made this one.and the bread on a stick with melted butter is not too shabby.
hmm???
hmm???

cabingal3
# Posted: 29 Mar 2011 16:44

I'm counting down the days till my kids, grandson and Mom all come out here for one, whole, fabulous, I can't wait to hug 'em all, week in April!!!! Been cooking up a storm and the freezer is bulging. *grin*

hattie.good fun.the grandkids are coming for a whole week.how fun is this going to be.will u have easter treats for them then?are they coming at easter time?or?
what have u been cooking?what do u plan to do for fun while the grandchild comes to see u?is it the new baby?? aw.lots of hugs and squeezes there.hugs cabi3

bobrok
# Posted: 29 Mar 2011 17:51 - Edited by: bobrok

Fried banana on a stick: my guess.

hattie
# Posted: 29 Mar 2011 21:15

Cabingal3 - I have sooooo much food. *LOL* The freezer is bursting at the seams with lasagna, chicken pot pie, home made pizza, shepherd's pie, homemade bread, lemon loaf, peanut butter balls, ginger cookies, chocolate chip cookies, muffins and more. *S* Hubby also picked up some Easter sour candies that they love. It will be a fun time. *grin* Hubby says it is too much food, but my son is a 6' 4" rugby player so he can pack a lot away, plus son-in-law is a strapping man who will hold his own I'm sure and Hubby likes to eat. *grin*

This will be our new baby grandson who was born in December. It will be the first time my Mom (who lives in Ontario) has seen him in person. I don't think we will be doing a lot other than talking - daughter, Mom and I do that very well. The men may take off exploring in the rhino just to get away from us. Hubby can never figure out how we can always have something to say after yakking for hours on end. *S* It will be a full house for sure with everyone plus our dog and daughter has two dogs. *LOL* We'll be tripping over each other, but I am counting down the days.

cabingal3
# Posted: 29 Mar 2011 22:00

Quoting: bobrok
Fried banana on a stick: my guess.

nope...its fried bread on a stick that looks like a turd.snicker.sorry.hee hee.
hattie.sounds like u will have a wonderful time of it gal.sounds like a wonderful family get together.so lovely and my! u have been cooking up a storm!good for u.

cabingal3
# Posted: 22 Apr 2011 17:50

are u having easter at your cabin??
our little grandsons are going to their dads.so right now i am boiling eggs so they can color them right now.i will save them to hide when the little boys come back on easter sunday.
what are u doing with your little ones??

larry
# Posted: 22 Apr 2011 17:59 - Edited by: larry

Quoting: cabingal3
are u having Easter at your cabin??

our plan was to have Easter at the cabin but the recent snow, melting snow and heavy rain has made it a bit less than desirable.. I'm sad

hattie
# Posted: 22 Apr 2011 19:17

We celebrated with our family last week. *S* Spent the entire week talking, watching tv, spoiling the new grandson and going for walks. Here's everyone (except our dog who doesn't like to get her picture taken *S*).
Hubby, Mom (with her great-grandson), Me, Son, Son-in-law, daughter and her two dogs
Hubby, Mom (with her great-grandson), Me, Son, Son-in-law, daughter and her two dogs

Just
# Posted: 22 Apr 2011 19:28

same here ' no cottage , kate has just left to hide some things for the older two, at there house as we have a key and they have gone out for dinner.they are 12 and 10 but the bunny still comes !! we will see the two little ones on mon. as we are sitting so mom and dad can go to work . It's a hard life . Fun allllll day

cabingal3
# Posted: 22 Apr 2011 21:46

We celebrated with our family last week.

thats one lovely wonderful family picture hattie.thank u for sharing.
larry,that sure sounds like our neck of the woods too.
me and mayo ended up coloring eggs.he hid them after he colored them and i found them.i am suppose to get him a chocolate easter bunny for easter day when they come back to us.

hattie
# Posted: 22 Apr 2011 22:07

Thanks cabingal3...It sounds like you are having a fun Easter!
Just - I was hiding eggs for my kids when they were 18. *LOL* They got mad when I said they were too old. *S*

cabingal3
# Posted: 23 Apr 2011 15:40

I was hiding eggs for my kids when they were 18. *LOL* They got mad when I said they were too old. *S*

hey hattie.dont u know! my oldest boy was 18 and wanting smokes in his easter basket along with his candy.i guess this is a sign they are too old.lol

hattie
# Posted: 23 Apr 2011 17:42

Quoting: cabingal3
my oldest boy was 18 and wanting smokes in his easter basket

*ROTFL* I would have put in some Popeye candy cigarettes if my kids ever asked for that. *LOL*

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.