Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / what do u think of this?
cabingal3
# Posted: 14 Mar 2011 17:54

On the Weather Channel this morning they were saying that the earthquake caused the Earth to move 6 1/2 inches off its axis, and made the days shorter by 1.8 microseconds and that the island of Japan had moved 8-12 feet.

so do u think this will change our atmosphere??

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 14 Mar 2011 18:04

not good-------

bugs
# Posted: 14 Mar 2011 18:30

Umm nothin' we can do about it and in the scheme of things it likely is not all that significant to the earth. To humans maybe..... Hey it can be argued that humans are not significant.

Such "minor catastrophic" events have happened in the past many times even worse ask the dino's. And it is going to happen in the future.

Maybe it will wake up some people to the realization that we live on a very fragile planet and we should be taking care of it a little better as it is the only one we got.

bobrok
# Posted: 14 Mar 2011 18:56

Quoting: bugs
Maybe it will wake up some people to the realization that we live on a very fragile planet and we should be taking care of it a little better as it is the only one we got

bugs, one can only hope. I was more concerned about the threat of nuclear meltdowns what with the explosions and all, but now I hear that this is nowhere near as bad a Three Mile Island was in terms of radioactivity and imminent danger.

Who do you believe?

Geez, and I live downwind from a reactor, too.

hattie
# Posted: 14 Mar 2011 19:31

Quoting: bobrok
I was more concerned about the threat of nuclear meltdowns

When the first news of the earthquake came out, I heard all the praises of their nuclear plants. They were top notch and they had thought of absolutely everything and there were no threats. hmph.....Just goes to show that nothing is foolproof. *sigh* Maybe we should all go back to using horses and heating our homes with wood? I dunno. I think with all our "technology" we've kind of boxed ourselves into a corner. It is pretty frightening stuff.

cabingal3
# Posted: 15 Mar 2011 03:16

we use to have one here in our neck of the woods and all of our area is built on fault lines.well,this happening in Japan just shows me how we should never of had one in the first place...not in earthquake land.The higher up people that run things sure can do some goofy things.

bobrok
# Posted: 16 Mar 2011 10:34

Japanese reactor workers (some 50 of them out of 700 in total) have volunteered to go back inside in an attempt to stabilize the core. CNN this morning is describing this as a possible suicide mission.

It gives me pause to reflect on what I would do, or if I would even react quickly enough in an emergency to do anything, or would I want to risk my life in the process.

God bless them.

Martian
# Posted: 16 Mar 2011 10:54

Cabingal, I'm not sure it'll change the atmosphere, but I don't get nearly as much done now that the days are shorter, and I'm going to have to start all over on the new place since it no longer lines up with true north.

Tom

cabingal3
# Posted: 16 Mar 2011 13:48

we had 13 millions dollars worth of damage in Brookings,oregon from that tsunami this last time.so i did have a real fear our son would be in harms way.
i cannot believe those 50 workers going into that reactor.they are such a calm people.i do see them being calm and taking all this horrid stuff with no gnashing of teeth.u just see them getting in boats to be saved.amazing.
Martian..i was not sure if u used the correct word when i said atmosphere .I am sorry u have to start over on your new place.
i know the big one is suppose to be coming here.I have been up in Oregon and Washington for 40-ish years and we were here when mt st.hellens blew.we just got snowing ash.we were here once when mt angel was the core of the action.not far from there when we heard what sounded like a freight train coming thru our living room.things were shaking so bad.not a roll but fast shaking like our house was posessed.all i could think to do was get to my daughter who was 11 at the time...she was under the bed.so she did good.

every now and then u get a tiny shake so slight u think-did i even feel anything at all.then u read in the newspaper it was a little shake.

Bobrok...i sure agree about the japanese workers...God bless them.

hattie
# Posted: 16 Mar 2011 16:26

There is so much we can learn from these gentle people in Japan. They line up for food at the stores - no pushing and shoving. Grocery stores give away their food. Women crying very quietly to themselves so as not to attract attention. And now those 50 workers sacrificing their lives for the rest. Amazing!

rayyy
# Posted: 20 Mar 2011 06:52

Well,,,it goes to show you,no matter what we say or do,
Mother Earth has the final say.It amazes me to see how your whole world can change in the blink of an eye.That's why I'm so glad that I am who I am and where I am.The thing that bugs me the most is to look my grandchildren in the eye and say"I'm sorry for this mess we leave you to deal with in your lifetime"Pollution,greenhouse gas,over population,disease,war,taxes,dedt.It wouldn't be this way if humanbeings would just respect this planet and realize it's all we got.

bobrok
# Posted: 22 Mar 2011 10:01

<bump>

OK here we go again. Now they're raising issues with safety of US nuclear plants in NY and around the country.

Where I live there are 3 reactors nearby. The one closest to me has been rated the 53rd least safe in the country.

Whew, and to think I was worried. Sometimes I want to shut off the TV, go to my cabin, and let life pass me by.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.