Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Cars !!! Your first set of wheels ??
naturelover66
# Posted: 22 Mar 2011 18:57

Well...... this is gonna be good.
My first car was a 1976 Chevy Malibu...... Baby blue..... Blue vinyl interior....... bench seats... and corvette rally wheels.
An 8 cylinder engine ....... it hauled a$$ .

bobrok
# Posted: 22 Mar 2011 19:01

1968 Camaro, 230 small 6, powerglide tranny, but I had nice air shocks on the back!

Gary O
# Posted: 22 Mar 2011 20:10

54 Chevy 2 dr post
six tiny cylinders
drove it to the ground (at 15)

then 62 Impalla SS 283
drove it to the ground

then 64 Chevy II Nova SS 283
drove it to the ground

had a few sports cars of which an E type Jag was the fastest, 12 cylinders,
found the edge of death a few times with that one (they don't corner well over 100)
It's amazing the gripping power of the sphincter, even with tuck and roll

then a series of cars and trucks that had already been driven to the ground, of which I nursed back and forth to work

MtnDon
# Posted: 22 Mar 2011 20:40

'50 Ford F2 pickup that ended up with a 255 cu in Merc V8

'52 Ford Crestline hardtop with the same transplanted Merc

'52 Olds Super 88 coupe with later model golden rocket V8

and then it gets crazy..............

bobrok
# Posted: 22 Mar 2011 20:46

"gonna buy me a mercury and cruise it up 'n down the road"

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 22 Mar 2011 21:43

my 1st was a VW bug, i bought at age 11, in 1971.........dove it everywhere in the country.
i had 2--1957 chev , 1969 dodge cornett with a 440 MAG.
2 1966 ford trucks i restored, both red.
1950 --5 window chev truck

my toys TODAY are my 1974 fj40landcruiser, just painted it last summer.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 22 Mar 2011 21:48

my 1950 chevy panel........a work in progress.......

Gary O
# Posted: 22 Mar 2011 21:49

Quoting: turkeyhunter
1974 fj40landcruiser

OK turk, now I hate you a little bit
Those babies are held dear by every owner
M-M-M
Had ta show it didntcha

Nice rig, very very nice

Vince P
# Posted: 23 Mar 2011 09:03

My first was a 71 Firebird. That car had so many miles on it and so much wear and tear on the engine that it actually "spit" gasoline out of the exhaust. Sometimes I think I can still smell the grease under my fingernails
I recently fixed up an old Land Rover Discovery and put a massive winch on it just so I can get through the 2-3 feet of snow that covers the road and driveway to my cabin.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 23 Mar 2011 09:14

Quoting: Vince P
Land Rover Discovery

post a pic, i like those older discovery's.....i just picked up a 9000 lb Ramsey winch...

Vince P
# Posted: 23 Mar 2011 09:29

Quoting: turkeyhunter
post a pic, i like those older discovery's

Here you go, all 155,000 miles of her. This photo was last Dec after our first real snowfall.
Love your Land Cruiser. It's certainly gotta have a more reliable electrical system than any Land Rover.
lr.JPG
lr.JPG

Jerry
# Posted: 23 Mar 2011 10:47

'54 Ford 2-door hardtop Victoria at 17. Next, a '52 Chev 2-door HT with 40,000 miles bought from a widow for $80. Then off to the Navy for four years. Came home at 22 and bought a '63 Corvette split window coupe from a guy in a bar who was selling it because he was building a house and was hauling lumber in it! No kidding, when I first saw it, it had 2x4s sticking out the window.

Since then it's been a real mix including a '67 GMC 4x4 panel truck, a '47 CJ2 Jeep, a '69 FJ40 LandCruiser, a '37 Nash Lafayette, a '46 Chev coupe, a '71 Buick Riveira fast back, and a couple of Chev El Caminos including the '78 I have today. My main rides have always been pickup trucks - too many in my past to remember.

Sorry to sway from the main topic "first vehicle", but the memories took over my mind.

bobrok
# Posted: 23 Mar 2011 11:07

Quoting: Jerry
'63 Corvette split window coupe

I hope you still have this car Jerry. I just saw one go at Mecum aution for somewhere around $100k I believe.

dk1393
# Posted: 23 Mar 2011 12:26

1972 Chevy Vega, second car was a 1969 Impala.

Rob_O
# Posted: 23 Mar 2011 19:27

First car was a 1970 Pontiac LeMans, it met its death at a telephone pole on an icy road. I've owned 40+ since then.

Current vehicles include...

94 Toyota truck (94 2wd body on 86 4*4 frame)
99 Durango (unmolestered)
1977 Gold Wing (with the last known Vetter 3 fairing produced)

And a few projects...

93 Civic Hatch with a 96 Prelude engine (190+ hp, 2500 lbs)
88.5 Samurai with a 16V tracker engine (trail rat)
95 4Runner with a 97 3.4 engine
89 Chevy 4*4 van (pathfinder conversion)

Jerry
# Posted: 24 Mar 2011 11:05

bobrok,

No, I don't have it. You know the way it goes when you're young and living payday to payday out of a suitcase. Even if you had the foresight to save a vehicle, you couldn't.

I bought that Corvette for $1800 and sold it two years later for $2100. I felt like I was pretty shrewd, actually sold something for more that I paid for it. I remember at the time our local Chev dealer had an identical '63 Vette in pristine almost no miles used condition with a big block and every option available for around $4800. Now that's one that should have gone into a showroom.

bobrok
# Posted: 24 Mar 2011 11:28 - Edited by: bobrok

Quoting: Jerry
You know the way it goes when you're young and living payday to payday

SOB! I'm crying for you Jerry. Wouldn't it have been sweet to tuck that in a garage somewhere and 'forget' about it for almost 50 years!

Warning: don't click this unless you really want a good cry....
URL

edit: just curious. did yours have the 'wonder bar' i remember that.

Jerry
# Posted: 24 Mar 2011 15:01

Quoting: bobrok
edit: just curious. did yours have the 'wonder bar' i remember that.

No, I don't remember the radio having a wonder bar, but it was a rare car. It had an automatic transmission and air conditioning. They only made a few with air.

At the time I didn't like the automatic because, after all, it was a sports car. But if I owned it today the automatic transmission would be a sweet feature. Oh well, a great memory anyway.

squirrel
# Posted: 24 Mar 2011 18:59

my first car was a ford pinto didn't care i got to keep the roads hot and took me all the places I wanted to go bobrok we have a 68 in my back yard belongs to the hubby but in our teen years it was a love had a small block 6 but he could make he scream won alot of races back then he's hoping to restore it one day now it will be our crusin mobile

RIjake
# Posted: 25 Mar 2011 08:56

My first car? lol. a 1975 Ford pinto wagon. dark green with the fake wood on the side. Not exactly the best car to pick up girls in but it kept me flying under the radar as far as the cops are concerned!

rayyy
# Posted: 25 Mar 2011 17:44

70 ford torino.Nice summer car but big piece of junk in the winter.the gas gauge moved left faster than the speedometer moved right.But 5 bucks worth of gas could send ya crusing all weekend.That cleavland engine could spin them tires right off the rims!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.