Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Supplements for an old tired body?
paulz
# Posted: 23 Feb 2020 10:49

Anyone found anything to help recover from a hard days work at the cabin, which for me is every day? Getting harder and harder to bounce back. Ibuprofen helps but don't like taking it too much. Good nutrition, plenty of rest.

Like the TV commercials with the 70 year old guy looking like Arnold, running down the beach with a young gal on his shoulders. I need that. Not the young gal.

qbodsyt
# Posted: 23 Feb 2020 15:01

Good nutrition, real food not all packaged is the most important plus making sure to drink at least 1 liter of water a day, 2 is better.

If you're taking ibuprofen I am guessing you have a lot of joint pain? Glucosamine and chondroitin are good and inexpensive supplements for joint health. Inflammation is aggravated by not staying hydrated plus drinking too much coffee or alcohol daily, so keeping those pleasures within reasonable limits helps a lot too. Exercise is great, but if you're taking yours in the form of labours on your cabin project, make sure you have good form or you may worsen existing back issues.

I am in my 30s but have some joint issues due to a bad fall, my osteopath told me that daily walking (with good form and good shoes) is one of the best ways the body "resets" itself. I am trying to walk every day at least a couple of kilometers (1.5 miles)

Hope that is somewhat helpful!

paulz
# Posted: 23 Feb 2020 15:47

Thanks! No not much joint pain. Sore thigh muscles, and recently shoulder muscles from heavy lifting. Yes on the inflammation, the ibuprofen helps that. Overall fatigue and tiredness the day after hard work, like slow muscle recovery. Doc did blood tests, nothing wrong, a bit low on Vitamin D. Says maybe chronic fatigue syndrome, a catch all I think. Only two cups of coffee a day, couple beers a week at most, lots of protein and veggies.

ICC
# Posted: 23 Feb 2020 16:01 - Edited by: ICC

Slow typist here.... I started before you posted and ended long after. Just noticed your post later paul.

You don't get into details about what the problems are paul, but it sounds like joint and muscle pain is a biggie. Does your definition of good nutrition mean you avoid those foods that can cause or aggravate inflammation? Processed meats, dairy, sugar, fried foods, refined carbs (white bread, pastry), alcohol can be bad, whereas nuts, olive oil, salmon, sardines, leafy green vegetables can be beneficial.

Walking, anything that keeps you moving is a must. I have found that when I have done something, sometimes something I can't quite put a finger on, I get the best results (hastens my recovery) by maintaining activity, even if it is just walking a circuitous path through the house. I do that a lot in winter when I don't feel like braving the cold. It includes stars too.

Sometimes something like a Fitbit can help meet the goals of so-many steps or miles per day . I use one mostly out of curiosity now as I do seem to make a lot of steps on an average day. I hit at least 15000 steps (7.5 miles) almost every day of the week.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 Feb 2020 16:15

Quoting: paulz
Thanks! No not much joint pain. Sore thigh muscles, and recently shoulder muscles from heavy lifting.

For sore muscles, I take a bayer aspirin, works fast. I have found bayer work good for that, not much of anything else.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 23 Feb 2020 23:45

Being low on vitamin D can cause issues with pain.
Drink a lot of water.
I take a Kirkland brand krill oil pill every morning ( don’t take these if you are on a blood thinner) along with my women’s Centrum Silver. There is a men’s formula too. Costco as well.
I take vitamin D twice a day. I never go in the sun because both my parents died from skin cancer. My brother had it to. He survived.
Try eating a banana every morning. You might have low potassium levels.
Just try that (the banana)for a week and let me know if it helps.

sparky30_06
# Posted: 24 Feb 2020 08:27

hydration before, during and especially after. Also Bananas are your friend for mussel soreness. And stretching!!!!. After you finish up for the day drink a bottle of Gatorade, or something similar, take a few Advil, or something similar, and then go stretch and go for a walk. You need let the blood do it's job and remove and built up toxins from the muscles. Then in the next morning morning hydrate and stretch!

FishHog
# Posted: 24 Feb 2020 08:52

I agree with sparky
Hydration. Coffee till noon and beer after

Really consistent exercise is the key. If you use muscles that you don’t normally use you will feel it. Strength training will help a lot

paulz
# Posted: 24 Feb 2020 10:33

Great suggestions, thanks all. I do a lot of walking, actually I walk for two people since my wife can't. Diet and stretching, that needs improvement. I recently became aware of some of the inflammation food triggers ICC mentioned and have made adjustments. And yes I have been ignoring hydration more this winter with the cold. I get good sun, odd that Vitamin D is low, I will step that up.

Coincidentally an article came out today on chronic fatigue, mentioning gut health and gastrointestinal as a factor.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-causes-when-to-seek-help

mj1angier
# Posted: 24 Feb 2020 10:47

When working on our place back in the summer, I was having bad cramps at night. I am 53 and not in great shape, but I am bad about working full bore all day. I was getting dehydrated. I got some of the small gateraid bottles and keep in a cool close by. I set an alarm in my phone to go off every 1.5 hours. It was the only way I would think to drink. It really helped with cramps and muscle soreness.

Now sore joints.... that was just old and worn out, naproxen helped the best

sparky30_06
# Posted: 25 Feb 2020 06:54

Quoting: FishHog
Hydration. Coffee till noon and beer after

Time to switch to whiskey we've been drinking beer all day

paulz
# Posted: 25 Feb 2020 10:24

Side question: Anyone take Melatonin?

Kamn
# Posted: 25 Feb 2020 10:28

Paulz,
have you ever considered a zero carb diet, basically meat, eggs, and dairy if you can tolerate it?
My joint pain has gone away, I don't feel where I broke my hand when the weather changes, I lost weight, and heal much faster.
You don't need supplements since red meat contains all the essential vitamins and nutrients the body needs, along with cholesterol (which is a building block of the body despite what doctors in NA have been peddling people, like it will clog your arteries or give you cancer)
Carbs and plants are actually inflammatory to the human body (plenty of information in it out there). If you do still like to eat plant matter, make sure its fermented (sour kraut) as this is best for your digestive tract.
There are plenty of people out there healing themselves with a zero carb diet from autoimmune issues, weight issues, diabetes.....etc.
On youtube, you can check out Dr. Shawn Baker, Dr. Sallidno, and Dr. Natasha Campbell McBride

Kamn
# Posted: 25 Feb 2020 10:30

One last thing about dairy, the best dairy you can have is raw milk, kefir made from raw milk, and cheese made from raw milk

qbodsyt
# Posted: 25 Feb 2020 10:32

Quoting: paulz
Side question: Anyone take Melatonin?

I use it on and off, it's better for resetting your internal clock after traveling or working weird hours than it is as a long term sleep aid. I like valerian root for sleeping, I find it helps me have a better quality of sleep, whereas melatonin principally just helps me get to sleep in the first place

paulz
# Posted: 26 Feb 2020 10:19 - Edited by: paulz

After seeing myself on my trailcam yesterday I should cut down on carbs..

I should also add my doctor put me on statins a few months ago. I'm aware of the negatives including muscle issues but it doesn't seem to have made it any worse.

I asked about melatonin for my wife, who has been taking it nightly, too much I think, because her friend convinced her it works. I tried it a couple times and didn't notice a difference. So the other morning I spiked her oatmeal with 100mgs. We went grocery shopping, she was bubbly as usual and was surprised when I told her. My bruise is healing nicely.

Kamn
# Posted: 26 Feb 2020 15:06

I would be more worried about the links between parkinson's and statins than anything else.
Cholesterol level can and will vary widely throughout the day, and has no direct correlation to arterial or heart issues, its actually the opposite. Western medicine isn't always correct and takes forever to adapt to new information. The cholesterol scare is all due to a scientific paper by a Dr. Keyes many years ago that has since been shown that he fudged the numbers and lied to keep funding.
The info is out there
Good luck

KinAlberta
# Posted: 27 Feb 2020 09:06 - Edited by: KinAlberta

I believe in: “Everything in moderation.”

“Everything” though is as important as “moderation”.

So my problem is that I need to add a lot more variety in veggies, fruits, berries etc to be able to say I’m eating everything. I tend to gravitate to the same old narrow list of convenient easy to grab foods.

Also buying in bulk can be bad if you end up with so much of any single product that it becomes a “go to” product.

With our dark winters I believe vitamin D is a worthwhile supplement but still, I very rarely take it.

paulz
# Posted: 27 Feb 2020 09:20

Well I'm not sick or lonely but an athletic young man with a strong back would be most welcome around here. Pretty sure my wife would approve.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 28 Feb 2020 05:16

Plenty of sleep

paulz
# Posted: 28 Feb 2020 12:41

Yes, agreed, sleep. And not just any sleep according to my doctor. There's REM sleep, sleep cycles...he said the last sleep you get in the morning is the most refreshing for the body, something like that.

If I take a couple days to rest my muscles I sleep better and feel better. The harder I work the worse I sleep, sounds backwards but that's what happens. Nothing specific wakes me up or keeps me awake, no bad pain.

Going to try the Valerian root qbod suggested.

NorthRick
# Posted: 28 Feb 2020 17:06

There was a pretty interesting show about sleep on PBS this week. The first 40 minutes was fascinating. I'm not sure about the last 20 minutes because, wait for it, I fell asleep!

Seriously though, I learned some new stuff about sleep.

paulz
# Posted: 16 Apr 2020 22:19 - Edited by: paulz

Quoting: NorthRick
There was a pretty interesting show about sleep on PBS this week. The first 40 minutes was fascinating. I'm not sure about the last 20 minutes because, wait for it, I fell asleep!

Seriously though, I learned some new stuff about sleep.

Ha, I found that online and started watching it and fell asleep too! But it was around bedtime. Plan to try again.

I'm bumping this thread because something interesting has happened to me since the start of the Covid-19 restrictions.

For well over a month my diet has changed. Gone are fast food places, as well as restaurants, two of my wife's favorite activities. No burgers, no Taco Bell, no Chinese take out. Not sure what else.

But I noticed the other day the pain in my thighs has greatly subsided, also the inflammation. A whole, welcomed bunch. Could there be a connection? I'm really starting to think so, nothing else has changed as far as my daily activities.

Cholesterol reduction? Could be. Plan to get it checked when things return to normal, and stay off the junk food. I had a dentist appointment last week for a broken tooth, that got cancelled. Had an appointment for a physical in June, they have cancelled that too already.

ICC
# Posted: 17 Apr 2020 00:14 - Edited by: ICC

Staying away from fast food is very good for one's health. Eating more of a variety of vegetables is very good. Stay away from sugar. Sugar may be worse for us than fats.

For meat I stay away from that which comes from factory farms; grass fed beef, no corn feed, but not very much beef at all in recent years. My own chickens and ducks. Pork from a local farmer.

My doctor has done phone visits for a variety of things for years. I have my own blood pressure monitor, weigh myself and keep records. My dentist is only doing emergency work; can't blame them for that.

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 17 Apr 2020 12:41

Quoting: FishHog
Really consistent exercise is the key. If you use muscles that you don’t normally use you will feel it. Strength training will help a lot

I wholeheartedly agree with Fishhog. I'm 50ish and was having a lot of body and joint aches and pains. I started lifting weight 3 days a week for 30-40 minutes, nothing crazy. It's like I'm a new man. Tendonitis...gone. Aches and pains...gone. Can't recommend it enough.

Not trying to spam, but Athlean-X is a great Youtube channel for proper techniques so as to not get injured. Here's a good video of his philosophy for older folks.

Supplements and medications aren't going to get you there. Exercise will.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.