Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Escape the craziness
. 1 . 2 . >>
hueyjazz
# Posted: 13 Mar 2020 12:12

So we originally bought our land and cabin to escape our city residence. We live on a very busy intersection quick close to a major college and a medical center. There's a large park right across the street. 24/7 it is never quiet and there is always something going on.

Our land and cabin is one hour South of our city residence. To get there you go to the middle of nowhere and then go a few mile past. No real neighbors other than Amish that are as buried in the woods as I am.

About two week ago we stop watching the news. It was only adding stress with nothing really new to report. Monday night I go grocery shopping with wife at Costco. We split up the list. On my side of list is TP.
I get to the spot the pallets of it should be and it is all gone.
People, there's million things I would horde before TP. In fact, I sprint to beer aisle and my faith in man is reassured. Beer aisle is fully stocked but me being no fool grabbed two cases.

The cabin now gives us a place of solitude and escape. Plus, if a real crisis does arise we have our own water, power, food supply and fuel. What me worry?

Brettny
# Posted: 13 Mar 2020 15:07 - Edited by: Brettny

I saw this coming and bought 90 rolls in the last week and enough hand sanitizer to bathe in for a week. I take public transportation that goes in and out of NYC. The trains are down to 10* of what they use to be.

Also closing your eyes to things doesn't mean they don't exist.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 13 Mar 2020 15:16

Well, the supply was enough to supply everyone, so why the horde of TP? Does corona virus give you diarrhea?

Never have I seen a time where there was no TP, until a panic. I'm trying figure what they are fearful off, the mfg closing down, truckers stop driving?

Now hand sanitizer, I can see, most people don't normally even use it, then when everyone does, the supply isn't there for the demand. Will they tool up? Maybe, might keep it as is.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 13 Mar 2020 15:22

Among my job duties I’m the environmental, health and safety officer for my corporation. My eyes are closed to nothing as it gets slam into my face daily

However panic buying is what manufacturers a problem that really shouldn’t exist.

I’m all for taking reasonable precautions and social distancing

Brettny
# Posted: 13 Mar 2020 16:21

Well I usually buy 30 rolls at a shot and me seeing what was coming and not wanting to go to the store for the next 2 weeks. I'm not going to stop pooping after 2 weeks so buying something that didn't expire in bulk is bet logical. TP just being one of the things I bought to keep my out of stores for the next 2+ weeks. It was mostly non perishable food.

Nobadays
# Posted: 13 Mar 2020 18:27

We've been at the cabin since Tuesday... planning to return the middle/end of next week. With all the insanity going on... maybe some of it warranted as this virus spreads easily... I don't want to leave the mountains! Alas my wife has a flight to catch Sunday so we have to go back to the city (well a town to be honest!)

My wife had got her Costco order just a week before we left... it included a case of TP and paper towels.... but that is about every 3-4 month normal order. Should have scored some hand sanitizer for resale!

Fanman
# Posted: 13 Mar 2020 20:05

No need to have enough TP to last more than a day or two past your food supply...

jhp
# Posted: 13 Mar 2020 20:22

People are stupid, panicky animals.

I doubt most of them have even figured out how many rolls their family actually uses in a week. The people in pictures with like seven 30-roll packs are going to be wiping with that same purchase come next Christmas.

For people who didn't grow up in the country (45 minutes from a Walmart if you even had one,) or "prep-minded" the thought of buying even a 30 pack is crazy, they can just get it every week if they need to. Now because people are good at freaking out and bad at math, there won't be any TP for a couple weeks.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 13 Mar 2020 21:02

The reason why there is no toilet paper and antibacterial products is because of the hoarders.
All stores should have put a limit at the very beginning on how much each individual is allowed so everyone can have what they need.

Then there are the eBay and Amazon sellers. They bought carts full. I sell on eBay. My business model does not fit profiting from this virus. BTW both companies are taking down all the listings. It’s taking them time. Some accounts have been suspended. GOOD. They deserve to never make another penny selling on these platforms.

It’s really rude and inconsiderate to just think of yourself and no one else.

Brettny
# Posted: 14 Mar 2020 07:32

Silver that is some high horse your up on. Maybe they have a family at home, maybe they have elderly parents or grand parents who are in the high risk category and would rather not have them out in public.

It's simple supply and demand. More demand (for what ever reason) and the supply stays the same the price goes up. It's like this in every market from TP to strawberrys.

One thing that no one mentioned is the lack of N95 masks..and that s something people need for there job and could actually be an actual health consern...so yes TP shortage is a real issue.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 14 Mar 2020 07:46 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

Brettny, You know NOTHING ABOUT MY LIFE..I do have a elderly husband. He is 80 years old with multiple health issues.
I am the one going out. I’ve tried as hard as possible to make sure my husband stays safe.
I’ve already have a plan in place if he becomes ill, coordinated with his physician.
You have time to delete the rude comment directed towards me.
Everything I wrote in the previous post is true.
My heart aches and I think everyday about my dear husband. I’ve been with him since I was 19 years old. I’m 58 now.
We had to put my dear Grand dog down on Wednesday. Your comment has me in tears.
You should think about the things you say to people for you never know what trials they are suffering.

Turtletownman
# Posted: 14 Mar 2020 11:53

My second home is 25 miles from the grocery store and thus a normal purchase is a large package of both toilet paper and paper towels. They do not have an expiration date and running low is bad. Even at the winter home, it's five miles to a store and thus the need for enough to last a while. The same with soap, dishwashing liquid and laundry detergent.
I am not a hoarder.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 14 Mar 2020 13:51 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

My point was, the demand and the supply was in balance as it was on TP, we dont use more during this virus, so if everyone just bought what they needed, all would be good. I can see sales spiking on sanitizer, its not something everyone bought. My wife always got the big pak of TP from Costco, we have several of them, when one runs out, we get another, so we are no less than one bulk back deep at min, 2 paks at max. I still have one full bulk pak here, I told her to grab just one if they are available at the store.

Just a heads up, both Home Depot and Lowes sells TP and have it in stock, keep it to yourself or you wont be able to buy any there either.

I consider myself a prepper light, not hording type, but have items such as 3 months supply of that freeze dried food good for 25 years, a pantry with lots of canned good, lots of frozen foods in a deep chest freezer. Its just the wife and myself, we have Nugget the french bulldog too.

I am going to continue going about my life like always, will just take more precautions like sanitizer on my hands, keeping some distance, but just trying to keep the economy going.

ICC
# Posted: 14 Mar 2020 15:09 - Edited by: ICC

Depends on how old you are, or how old the loved ones are.

Younger people have a one in 10,000 (0.01%) chance of dying from the flu and a one in 500 (0.2%) chance of dying from COVID-19. So, COVID-19 is 20 times more lethal for a 15 year old than the flu. That mortality rate rises quickly as the victims get older. Between one and two 55 year olds out of 100 who contract COVID-19 will die of the disease. That’s 22 times the mortality rate of the flu. However, the real jump occurs in those who are 60 and above. Almost 15% of those aged 80+ will die if they contract the coronavirus.

Hysteria? There is no vaccine against COVID-19. There is no cure. The only way for a 60+ year old to avoid a 3.6% – 14.8% chance of dying is to avoid the disease. The real odds of dying are the infection rate multiplied by the mortality rate. But once you contract the disease you are far more likely to die than if you contracted the flu. Is there any activity on Earth that a rational person would undertake with a 3.6% – 14.8% chance of dying? For comparison purposes an American sent to fight in Vietnam had about a 0.5% chance of dying. Given those odds, is it really “hysteria” to cancel fan participation at sporting events or to insist that people in contact with the public wear gloves? Our only defense is containment and containment comes with a fair amount of inconvenience. What is the alternative? Hope, as they say, is not a strategy.
rates
rates

fiftyfifty
# Posted: 14 Mar 2020 16:06

Where are you getting the statistic that American soldiers in Vietnam only had a 0.5% (1 out of every 200) chance of dying? I calculate a 2.15% (1 out of 47) chance of dying. 58,220 American soldier deaths out of 2,709,918 American soldiers sent to Vietnam.

But anyway, I agree that COVID-19 death rates are a big deal for those over sixty (and nothing to sneeze at even in younger people.)

ICC
# Posted: 14 Mar 2020 16:28

fiftyfifty, you are right. I messed up with that.

But many who went did not go voluntarily, but that is another story and I'll let that dog lay there alone.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 14 Mar 2020 21:58

OK, more craziness, buddy of mine who spends lots of time in Cabelas/Bass Pro Shops showed me a picture of an empty shelf, I was thinking grocery store. No, it was the ammo section at Cabelas.

DaveBell
# Posted: 15 Mar 2020 00:19

Quoting: silverwaterlady
delete the rude comment directed towards me

SilverWaterLady, this is not the first time he has said something abusive. Your comments are quite true.

hattie
# Posted: 15 Mar 2020 00:39

I agree with silverwaterlady. No one should be profiting from a pandemic. I am glad amazon is shutting down the idiots who are trying to resell for really high prices, products they hoarded. There are many people who need these products - not to hoard - just to use.

I hope both you and your husband stay healthy silverwaterlady. I feel your concern. My husband is 71 and has heart issues. I have actually closed our motel until Easter (will re-evaluate then) due to fears of someone coming who may be infected. His health is more important than money. We can hunker down and make due if it means he will stay safe. I'm sorry to hear about your dog silverwaterlady. I wish you and your husband the best during these trying times.

paulz
# Posted: 15 Mar 2020 09:44

I haven't done diddlysquat to prepare, too dang busy to go shopping. We have a bidet, really cuts down on TP usage. Bought it online for about $20, bolts to the seat bolts, works great.

I'm over 60 and lost my spleen in a cycle wreck years ago, high risk. Had a 22 year old kid helping me excavate dirt this week. Could give a darn about the virus, still bar hopping. We're not sharing shovels.

Hope all my pals on the Cabin Forum stay safe.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 15 Mar 2020 10:20

Silverwaterlady, I will say a prayer for you and yours. Always nice to see positive thoughts and experiences. Always a bummer to see negative comments and others tell someone else they don’t know what their doing.
I feel. The Good Lord has a plan for each and every one of us. And will, as usual, do all I can to protect my family. Also suspect that those of us that have our cabins have a little bit of comfort knowing that we can get away from things a little bit more.
Positive thoughts are good thoughts.

fiftyfifty
# Posted: 15 Mar 2020 11:08

Sending best wishes and hopes for good health to all of you here on Small Cabin Forum. We are all in this together. I am hoping that all our efforts at social distancing will pay off!

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 15 Mar 2020 14:47

Stay calm and at the cabin! All our best to everyone in this crazy time.

paulz
# Posted: 15 Mar 2020 15:22 - Edited by: paulz

This guy on the Nextdoor App, who appears to be an individual because I don't see any business name, is selling TP by the square! Maybe that's how it's sold some places, I don't know, I buy at Costco like you guys.

And what a description! Sounds like a wine critic's description. 'Pleasant bouquet with a mild aftertaste to satisfy the most discerning pallet..'

Must be a joke...
mmm.JPG
mmm.JPG

hueyjazz
# Posted: 15 Mar 2020 18:04

Well I just got back from my cabin we is really deep in woods in a very rural area of hunting camps and Amish

I noticed three things:

1. The small country grocery store doesn't show the panic buying of the bigger city ones. There was two people it line.

2. A lot of the visible hunting camps on the drive there were occupied. Normally this time of year they are not. I figure people are getting them ready to isolate themselves

3. There's many shooting clubs out in the area. It sounded like the weeks before deer season. It was a nice weekend but this was very much an uptick from normal.

And by the way, the thing I find crazy isn't paying attention to the seriousness of this virus. It is very contagious and a killing machine for the elderly and those with underlying conditions.

naturelover66
# Posted: 15 Mar 2020 21:21

Thinking positive thoughts for all of us during this very challenging time.
We must be kind and take care of each other.

Lisa

monkeydeck
# Posted: 16 Mar 2020 00:48

maybe Brettany has her reasons, 90 rolls lasts her 2 weeks, thats a lot of butt wiping....thats like 7 rolls per day, hmmm...................
i did see an A&E special once where this one lady was
addicted to eating dryer sheets so maybe its a mental health thing? Aint no time to hate, if she wants to eat toilet paper who are we to judge?

DaveBell
# Posted: 17 Mar 2020 01:08

OZZY OSBOURNE's Son JACK message to idiot TP hoarders:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ozzy-osbournes-son-jack-blasts-people-for-toilet-pa per-hoarding-chronic-stting-isnt-a-symptom-of-corona/

DaveBell
# Posted: 17 Mar 2020 01:15

LOL
nottoiletchipotle..jpg
nottoiletchipotle..jpg

Gary O
# Posted: 17 Mar 2020 07:41

Out of the several big grocer chains here, only one had TP.
And they are the only ones that rationed it.
Two to a customer.
I was rather proud of them for that.

All this false shortage stuff reminds me of the false (created) gas shortages in the '70s.

Seems folks reveal their true selves during these times.

And the funnies in this thread do rock.

We have a couple big packs of the good TP.
I read on the pkg that one roll of the good stuff lasts about a week.
So, we're good for 48 weeks.
Longer if we run outa food.

I think we're good on food too.
Since I'm rather fond of rice and beans,
but need to go back to the store for enough sriracha to cover it all.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.