Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Escaping the crazy
Nobadays
# Posted: 26 Mar 2020 19:43

We have been back at our primary home in AZ for less than a week.... can't believe how wacky folks have been here! I'm not saying the stores were fully stocked in CO but not clean out like here. The small independent grocer in our nearest town was pretty well stocked and had an army of folks helping him get shipments back on the shelves... Wally's and Safeway were trashed but it wasn't cleaned out. Here in AZ... small mountain community.... Wally's and Safeway are cleaned out... not entirely but I've seen stores in third world countries with more on the shelves!

We are pretty much loaded up... the Tracker, the Campervan that pulls the Tracker, the pickup and I have a trailer load of plywood and solar panels to tag along behind the pickup. We are moving up to the cabin. Wife had already planned to stay through New Years 2021.... who knows if we will come back other than to check on this house. If this place wasn't such a good place to live when we get really old... I'd sell it!

Got lots of projects in mind for this year.... firewising is pretty well completed, some juniper brush to pull and chip..... eve storage in the loft, half bath in the loft, shop/woodshed, greenhouse and three cold frames. Oh, rain and grey water water collection systems. The list will undoubtedly grow!

Stay healthy... we plan to!

frankpaige
# Posted: 26 Mar 2020 22:17

I wish you a smooth and safe transition to the cabin. Lord knows how we all enjoy the peace/quite. I keep itching to be there for the summer. Usually it is tax day before I can drive up the hill to off load the gear. My to-do list is small this yr. Outlet on the deck for LED lights. Tired of running extension cords. Past that, it is waiting for the ice to melt off Tarryall and Elevenmile.
Have fun, be safe, Enjoy!

Nobadays
# Posted: 26 Mar 2020 23:07

Than! Amazingly we were able to drive up to the cabin last week.... no snow to speak of since. 4x4 needed, hoping the pickup gets up there loaded like it is!

Terrace reservoir, and I'm sure Platoro are still iced over. We gave up fishing after not catching a thing last year.... just not good at it I guess. Since we are out of state it is now over $100 each.... that's a lot of fish from Safeway!

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 26 Mar 2020 23:16

we will be heading to the cabin soon. We can fill our car in the city drive to the cabin and walk in without seeing a single person. That's my kind of social distancing! The stores in Toronto are 80-90% stocked as normal, streets are very empty.

Nobadays
# Posted: 26 Mar 2020 23:39

Wow.... 80-90% stocked! Glad people realize supply can keep up with demand if the demand isn't crazy hoarder high. Our nearest full time neighbor is a mile and a half away. We have two neighbors that border opposite corners of our property... but they are rarely there, maybe once a month for a few days. Thatvsaid, one of them says they are going to spend the summer there this year. We'll see.

Atlincabin
# Posted: 27 Mar 2020 09:31

Sad for us this year. US/Canada border is closed so we're stuck not getting to the cabin unless/until it reopens.

Nobadays
# Posted: 27 Mar 2020 10:25

Atlin.... ouch! Hopefully things will settle down by summer.

hattie
# Posted: 27 Mar 2020 13:27

Best of luck Nobadays! Stay safe and healthy.

Nobadays
# Posted: 27 Mar 2020 15:49

Thank you Hattie!

We spent all morning getting our low flow watering system back up and running here in AZ... finally no more leaks. Flowers, trees and shrubs all drought tolerant but many have only been in the ground a couple of years so we have a drip system them hydrated. All zones connected to Orbit solenoid valves and them to an Orbit B-hyve wifi controller. We can turn it on and off and adjust the zones from the cabin based on weather and suggestions from our neighbor.

Rigs are packed so just taking a breather until shoving off bright and early Sunday morning.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.