Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Windows 7 to 10 upgrade
paulz
# Posted: 12 Apr 2020 11:30

Anyone done this lately? I'm getting warnings that 7 is no longer supported.

I just read that it can be done over the internet, also maybe for free. Don't care about the cost as much as ending up with a down computer waiting for a disc or key in the mail.

razmichael
# Posted: 12 Apr 2020 11:56 - Edited by: razmichael

Technically the free upgrade ended a long time ago but general reports say it can still be done. One such recent (few weeks ago) zdnet however success does depend on having a current valid licence. Also you may run into issues with hardware compatibility.

Depending on your current setup (thus the amount of work to set things up again) it can be worth considering a clean install rather than an upgrade. Upgrading an old system comes with lots of old, outdated, unneeded, dangerous DLLs, applications etc.

A new key from microsoft for Home is around $190 CAD although you can also consider purchasing an OEM key for much less (with the expected risk).

paulz
# Posted: 12 Apr 2020 15:34

Thanks Raz. Ugh, think I'll stick it out with 7 for awhile.

Gary O
# Posted: 13 Apr 2020 23:06

I had to scrap my old desk top due to win7.
Down loaded everything I wanted onto a hard drive, and bought a mid range laptop with win10.
Fiddled with it some, then took to in to an independent computer repair place, and let them take care of it all.

I do hate change, but sooooo glad I did it.
For me, win10 is much better than win7, of which I've had for very long time.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 13 Apr 2020 23:26

Gary, i have a brand new Dell desktop powerhouse in the box, never opened yet from Costco. Mine was slowing down, so backed it all up on a 3 TB remote HD I have and now my old 8.1 unit is working fine, so new unit is still in the box.

Gary O
# Posted: 14 Apr 2020 00:12

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
Gary, i have a brand new Dell desktop powerhouse in the box, never opened yet from Costco. Mine was slowing down, so backed it all up on a 3 TB remote HD I have and now my old 8.1 unit is working fine, so new unit is still in the box.

And that's why yer handle has the term 'Tech' in it, and mine just has O'
...as in 'OH!'
It's all magic to me.
Been that way since around three years of age, and shoving a butter knife unto a socket

Gary O
# Posted: 14 Apr 2020 00:14

I do still have my desktop. It's in my shop, holding a few thousand pics.

paulz
# Posted: 14 Apr 2020 10:17 - Edited by: paulz

I must have a horseshoe up my ass lately. A day or two after posting this thread my pal (who helped me frame my cabin) was cleaning out the house of his in-laws who both passed away last year. He's given me a few things out of the garage already. Out of the blue he says "Hey how old is your computer.." So he's giving me their old one, which has faster everything, more ram and disk than mine. I'll pick it up when I get back from the cabin later this week.

I need to start wishing for bigger things while this streak holds out.

paulz
# Posted: 20 Apr 2020 11:20 - Edited by: paulz

Well I have Windows 10...

On a nice new(er) desktop my pal gave me. I am still switching over photos, passwords, bookmarks..

Changing operating systems is a hassle. Changing computers is a hassle. I would rather crawl under my cabin and check for spiders.

Anyhoo, so far findings things in W10 is a hassle. Things that were simple in earlier versions now have 20 different options, files that were 5 megabytes are now 500 megabytes. Employees at Microsoft must get paid on how much they can embellish and fatten up simple tasks. Example: the vertical bar you put your cursor on to scroll up and down? Used to be 1/4" wide. Now it is 1/64" wide, you have to put the cursor on it, then it widens to 1/4. But first you have to find it and get the cursor in that 1/64 wide line. My screen is 18" wide, I could live with the 1/4 bar.

But I complained when I upgraded from XP to 7, then got used to that. I expect it will be the same.

Be glad to get to the cabin tomorrow. Supposed to be in the 70s this week.

ICC
# Posted: 20 Apr 2020 11:57 - Edited by: ICC

Quoting: paulz
the vertical bar you put your cursor on to scroll up and down? Used to be 1/4" wide. Now it is 1/64" wide, you have to put the cursor on it, then it widens to 1/4. But first you have to find it and get the cursor in that 1/64 wide line.

?? With what program/app? I do not see that occurring. I mostly use things like LibreOffice, Chrome, Firefox, Thunderbird, Photoshop. They all have the normal old-type easy to find scrollbars. Maybe 3/16" wide; never measured/

ICC
# Posted: 20 Apr 2020 12:03

A search finds that there are ways to change this in the registry. I don't like going there for the most part.

paulz
# Posted: 20 Apr 2020 12:15

In Windows for sure, like I said I'm working my way through. Not a biggie in itself but when 20 things like that hit you at once when your just trying to find your photo file it gets old quick.

This, and at the moment I have a projector, radio transmitter, dvd player set up in the living room, along with my old PC to get at remaining stuff transfered. The dog thinks the cords are a hurdle track.

I do like the wonders of electronics, to a point.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.