Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Working at home during covid lock down
bugs
# Posted: 27 Aug 2020 19:01 - Edited by: bugs

So back in March when our country/province went into the covid lock down my wife had to work at home for 4 days a week and one day on site at the university... (I have a home based consulting business so the lock down was just another day at the office save for having the wife working from home).. as the weather warmed she moved her "home office" on to the patio... much to the delight of some of our "yard residents"....
jays at work
jays at work
jays at work
jays at work
jays at work
jays at work

SE Ohio
# Posted: 28 Aug 2020 09:13

When life hands you a lemon, make peanut butter!

Cool bird expression! He looks like he owns the place

SE Ohio

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 28 Aug 2020 11:46

I'm in I.T. and have been working from home since March. Well my cabin is a "home", so I've been able to spend a lot of time up there. Working during the day and renovating on evenings and weekends. I'd do that for a couple of weeks then come home and resupply, do some pre-construction then head back up. It really moved my progress along much faster that otherwise would've happened.

My cabin is off-grid with no internet. My setup was a laptop tethered to an iPhone with a second monitor. The iPhone tether was phenomenal. I was doing full video calls and screen sharing with no problems or lag.

I feel fortunate that the Covid lockdown has been so smooth for me. It has been tragic, disruptive and stressful for so many others. My thoughts go out to them. Unfortunately, I'm expected to go back into the office regularly starting next week.

Stay safe everyone.
Cabin WFH Setup
Cabin WFH Setup

justins7
# Posted: 28 Aug 2020 15:24

I have to say the horrible pandemic has been great for this one thing — being able to stay full-time in my cabin. It's kind of a dream. I have a computer setup in my trailer, and I've been able to really make headway on tackling many construction projects while working.
Normally my wife and I need to go back to the city for work most of the time. But we've been here since March as well.

paulz
# Posted: 28 Aug 2020 17:16

Only thing that's changed for me is the hardware stores are a lot more crowded. My pal calls it "Shelter at Home Improvement".

sparky30_06
# Posted: 29 Aug 2020 09:17

working from home?? Whats that?? Folks that work with our hands and make the world go around can't work from home. Oil has to flow, it's the lifeblood of the world!!
Stay safe out there!

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 29 Aug 2020 09:35

Quoting: sparky30_06
Folks that work with our hands and make the world go around can't work from home.

I'm not sure in what context you comment was intended, but it feels like a jab against people that can work from home. We are actually doing valuable work that "makes the world go around" too. Invoices need to be paid, paychecks need to be issued, information needs to flow, computer systems need to be maintained. The world runs on information these days and reliance on fossil fuels will be waning soon. I find your comment a bit offensive. Anything that brings value to society and feeds your family is worthwhile.

FishHog
# Posted: 29 Aug 2020 17:38

I took his post the same way. But blue collar workers love to think they are the most important labour force. I heard it all the time in my management career right up until there was any kind of a pay check issue

sparky30_06
# Posted: 31 Aug 2020 10:12

wow guess we have a bunch of thin skinned desk folks around here.
enjoy you PJ's and your espresso

The world runs on fossil fuels, without them you won't have any information flow. Oil is in everything you touch and use in more ways that you can imagine.
Drill baby DRILL!!!!

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 31 Aug 2020 10:19

wow guess we have a bunch of thin skinned desk folks around here.
enjoy you PJ's and your espresso

This forum is usually such a nice place to visit. It's unfortunate that the occasional small minded idiot has to detract from the usual vibe.

Drill baby DRILL!!!!

Enjoy your hurricanes down in Texas and keep asking yourself why they are getting more frequent and more intense. Couldn't possibly be climate change. Maybe we should just nuke 'em.

Sorry for the snarky tone. Climate change is a touchy topic for me and deniers bring out the worst in me.

sparky30_06
# Posted: 31 Aug 2020 10:27

Quoting: KelVarnsen
This forum is usually such a nice place to visit. It's unfortunate that the occasional small minded idiot has to detract from the usual vibe.

I would expect that comment from a narrow minded Canadian that has spent too many days inside hiding from the cold staring at the walls.

FYI the climate has been changing from long before man was on the earth.

And nuke a hurrican, wow that really makes me want to believe you and your climate change touchy topic.

Think you have sucked on too many chemtrails. Have a great day, time to make the oil flow and burn some excess gas off.

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 31 Aug 2020 11:29

And nuke a hurrican, wow that really makes me want to believe you and your climate change touchy topic

Not me, your glorious leader: Trump Suggests Nuking Hurricanes. Must be fake news.

FishHog
# Posted: 31 Aug 2020 19:38

I’m not thinned skinned at all. Just never understand how people can be so narrow minded to think they have the most important job and proceed to tell people that

All jobs are important or they wouldn’t be jobs. How long would you keep going to work if the desk people stopped paying you?

How would you make out without grocery store clerks or the garbage man

We all have important jobs that contribute to society. I never look down on anyone’s career choice. But sure look down on people who think they are better than others.

ICC
# Posted: 31 Aug 2020 21:41 - Edited by: ICC

ICC
# Posted: 31 Aug 2020 21:46 - Edited by: ICC

I would expect that comment from a narrow minded Canadian that has spent too many days inside hiding from the cold staring at the walls.

Personal or nationalistic attacks such as this serve no purpose in what began as a simple topic about how work at home was being dealt with.

The rest of the posted message contained commentary of a belittling nature that was also totally unnecessary. Unfortunately this sort of behaviour is encouraged by some in positions of power.

ICC
# Posted: 31 Aug 2020 23:09

By and large Canadians are among some of the more open minded, caring and tolerant people I have met.

bugs
# Posted: 1 Sep 2020 13:57

working from home?? Whats that?? Folks that work with our hands and make the world go around can't work from home.

My father worked from home all his life...save 4 years during WWII when he served in England and North Africa... He was a farmer.....

bugs
# Posted: 1 Sep 2020 14:31

And just one more thing... Yes I work from home.. I started my own consulting business in the early '90's when I couldn't find a "normal" job due to the bad economic times... So "sparky30_06" if you want to tell me I don't work because I don't work with my hands well so be it...

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.