Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Cabin Fever, Inverted....
toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 16 Apr 2023 21:45 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

OK, I tell people I have inverted cabin fever. I get it about this time every year. Most people cooped up in a cabin all winter and want to get out, I have been out of my cabin all year and want to get back.

So I head over in 5 days, first time for the year, snow is melting off fast, we have over 3 feet this year.

Get over there, see how all help up over the winter all closed up. Run fence line, clear blow-downs, repair fence if needed and doing some upgrades.

One is meeting with power company engineer, installing my new oven/cook-top, security door with screen inserts, so I will now have a screen door, but it will be secure too.

Spray all the graveled areas, campsites, drives for weeds.

I had a brand made that burns into wood, in a 1.5" design and a 3" design. Its like a large solder iron, but a thick brass logo. The logo looks like the image below.

Anyway, I will take pictures and add them into "My Project" thread.

Oh, working on a new wallet, will stitch it in the evening over at the cabin, in the log shelter as the sun goes down.
RFTB
RFTB
Branding iron
Branding iron
Branded Leather
Branded Leather
Burnt into leather
Burnt into leather

gcrank1
# Posted: 16 Apr 2023 22:48 - Edited by: gcrank1

Hey Toy, pretty much the same with us , but we have been able to do day trips for about the past month, especially the past two weeks since we have had 'instant summer'. Just yesterday we were there at 82*f in shorts and tee's and today we had 37* and snow/below freezing tonight. WI weather is skitzo!.
Got things running, installed the new utility water rain barrel, cleaned up some winter storm damage and did the first load of slash for the new burn pile (was able to get a special burn permit for last years pile early April just before the No Burn went into effect; conditions were good).
And since you mentioned 'inverted'...yesterday I made toast there with the old home toaster off the LFP battery and a 750w msw inverter for the first time. Resistance heat like that has no surge current and doesnt care a bit if msw. Kinda nice to not have to set up and run the genny to make toast.
So much to do, so little time.......

Steve_S
# Posted: 17 Apr 2023 08:04

Geez, Cabin Fever hit me so hard this year and I am going nuts. It's the worst I've had in a very long time, I think likely because last year I was so terribly sick I couldn't do a damned thing and now everything is so changed. The worst part, is I had winter to ponder what we are going to be doing now that I am gonna live a few more years... Ohhh boy that is a whole new game because I didn't think I'd be on this rock past last year and I did everything accordingly.

Projects, Expansions and new builds... Fortunately I met another local Cabineer who is also a carpenter and he has a few projects that could use hands too, so we may have a beneficial relationship to develop there, already looking at updating his patchwork Solar System (which TBH is scary - no safeties and mismatched bits). Poor guy got suckered by a slickster...

Slow start as I only began to recover after the entire hospital adventure & recovery was seriously slowed over winter, so start slowly and build myself back up while I do the projects... so I can't plan timelines which really makes me crazy... Ohhh well, at least I am still here and can do things moving forward.

Nobadays
# Posted: 17 Apr 2023 09:35

We are sitting in our home in North Central AZ, weather here has just started to warm, been in the mid to upper 70's the last couple of weeks. It was cold and snowy here most of the winter.

Really wanting to move back to the cabin, we were headed up there this time last year, but way too much snow up there to get back in yet. If the melt keeps up there we might be able to get back in by the middle of May. Except if the roads wash out. Have already had one creek wash over the main road, still passable we hear but very rough. Our area had nearly 200% of annual snowfall this year, there is A LOT still up there!

But, I tore up my shoulder last winter scraping snow off the roof... at least that's what I'm blaming it on, couldn't have anything to do with only having one arm for the last 33 years So I'm scheduled for surgery the 17th of May, debridement and shaving bone, or spacing the AC joint. Fortunately recovery time for this is pretty short May not even have to sling my arm. There are very minor tears in the rotator cuff that they will leave as I can't have my arm immobilized for 6 weeks.

Hopefully back up to the cabin by the first of June, latest arrival yet. My wife did point out that about all we will miss is a few nice days intermixed with snow and wind... lots of wind! Blows like stink throughout May and into June.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 21 Apr 2023 19:03

OK, headed out Sat 0500 for the cabin. Will update my thread with pictures of my upgrades when I get back.

gcrank1
# Posted: 22 Apr 2023 08:18 - Edited by: gcrank1

We are planning to go to ours this morning....and it is lightly snowing and sticking. Predicted high of 43*f.
Apr. 22 and snowing, but in Wisconsin it can snow any month of the year. We also know to carry at least a light winter coat in the car all year 'round.

Jackson
# Posted: 29 Apr 2023 20:33

I must have inverted inverted cabin fever. I haven't been to my land in almost 5 months and I have no real desire to go at the moment. I usually go once a month or so, but I have just been kind of meh about visiting.

Dunno why either, just burned out I suppose.

Go and enjoy your land for me.

gcrank1
# Posted: 29 Apr 2023 21:43

Jackson, if you want to break the 'meh' go to it asap. Dont let the downs control you (btdt).

Jackson
# Posted: 14 May 2023 21:28

Quoting: gcrank1
Jackson, if you want to break the 'meh' go to it asap. Dont let the downs control you (btdt).

Heh, still haven't gone... I'm making a point to go in a week or so though. I imagine the grass is very high and I like to keep the looks up so people assume it's occupied.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.