Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / back from the woods
. 1 . 2 . >>
cabingal3
# Posted: 26 Jun 2011 15:38

We are back!
Talk about working! it was fun work though.
Today we are recovering.
We got to the cabin on Thurs.afternoon and set up camp.Gar headed over to connect the hand pump to the well.So we have water.He tested it and all seems good.We did not have a bacteria tester.So we just got water from the neighbor till we process further into finding out how to test for bacteria.
Then the second day we made a road in the middle of the new property to the old.SO later on we can just drive from one to the next and drop of building supplies easier than having to manually haul all the building supplies we will need to eventually build a bigger place...later on.
On Sat...wild man-decided to tear down an old camper that was such and eye sore and he did it.and drove the 5 hour trip home on top of this.
i made us a shower.we had a solar shower bag which we never have used.i set it up.The water got really hot sitting in the sun.Cool...but we left.So never got to try it out.
cleaned out my summer kitchen and made plans for the inside kitchen.
we did not do all we had on my list...but we sure did do some major good things.
We did discover alot of big ants n our cabin.We had to take a drive to Chiliquen.A very nice little town...small but way bigger than Chemult.we went to get ant spray.Got rid of those little buggers.
so that was our trip.so pretty out.saw lots of deers.
talked to the neighbors out that way.Gar made lots of bird recordings.
so we were busy...helping each other and our precious land.
Hattie...i found out the neighors water the fruit trees for those not living out at the woods year time.soo this was good to know.
hope all is good with all of u.cabi3
gar and the water pump
gar and the water pump

Gary O
# Posted: 26 Jun 2011 15:58

And the skeeters weren't bad either.
Actually they were quite friendly (as long as you had a cauldron of blood to offer......)
Bad? Naw, just overly friendly......
company
company

hattie
# Posted: 26 Jun 2011 16:46

cabingal3 - You made me tired just reading all that you and Gary O did....Sounds like it was a very successful trip. That is great that a neighbour will water fruit trees for you while you are away!! Tell Gary O to get planting. *S*

The skitters aren't too be here - yet.....But the blackflies are terrible. Luckily we get lots of wind and when it is windy it keeps all the nasty bugs away. *S*

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 26 Jun 2011 18:04

I'm glad you a had a good trip. Love the water pump! Happy you made it home safely.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 26 Jun 2011 18:50

glad you guys had a nice time, it's fun working on your dream!!!!!!
how deep is the well???.....and how many feet of water???? did you find any treasures in the old camperr????

Gary O
# Posted: 26 Jun 2011 19:11

Quoting: turkeyhunter
how deep is the well???.....and how many feet of water???? did you find any treasures in the old camperr????

Depth?
Not sure...hand dug with sand point, so can't be much.
Water is at 15'
Treasures?
Aside from tree rat deposits, there was a coffee can with several more deposits.....

Now to peddle the metal.....

Gary O
# Posted: 26 Jun 2011 19:34 - Edited by: Gary O

did you find any treasures in the old camperr????

Actually, the treasure was eyesore removal.....
Camper vs Crow Bar
Camper vs Crow Bar
Dropping top mattress, sweet dreams
Dropping top mattress, sweet dreams

Gary O
# Posted: 26 Jun 2011 19:40

more......
Break Time....you go girl...
Break Time....you go girl...
I gotcher Open Road
I gotcher Open Road

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 26 Jun 2011 20:13

Quoting: Gary O
Now to peddle the metal.....

you be suprised what the allum. camper siding will bring $$$
and the copper wire from the camper and the metal camper frame....
down here allum. 55cent per pound, and iron 13.50 dollars per hunderd pounds....and copper $3.85 per pound it adds up and will keep ya in cold beer in camp!!!!!!! ;-)

Gary O
# Posted: 26 Jun 2011 20:45 - Edited by: Gary O

down here allum. 55cent per pound

I hear ya TH, but after yarding on that thing all day, I'd pay a lot more per pound for someone to haul it off. I'm not a taker downer, and barely a putter upper.
Got another on the new property along with an old (thicker skinned one) ready for any takers.

However, I'm sure I've lost a few precious pounds of my own......

cabingal3
# Posted: 26 Jun 2011 22:03

here is the shower i rigged up.i pulled some kind of covering on the porch at the new property and put it along three trees and then put some plywood down to stand on and the solar shower bag.
well maybe we will get to use it next time.
shower
shower

Just
# Posted: 26 Jun 2011 22:41

congrats on the water .. about the fruit thing we found that summer berries and summer early apples work the best,, anything that rippens in the fall seemed to be for the deer ,as we tend to miss more weakends .

cabingal3
# Posted: 26 Jun 2011 22:47

Just.i believe it.my plan is tons of blueberries out in the meadow.
i was out back looking at the meadow and me and a deer met face to face.we both scared each other.It bounded off with me chasing it.
this is how scarce fruit and veggies are.
our old neighbor came over and looked all proud.she handed me a gift bag and something round wrapped up inside.i said what is it?she said open it.i did.it was a tomato.well i was actually thrilled but-the fruit up there and the veggies are lame.
well,Gar went to get apples and the apples were like crap apples.
and costly.i cannt wait to live out there and get my fruit and garden going.
thanks just and hattie for the good advice on fruits.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 26 Jun 2011 23:42

Gary, anyone ever tell you it looks like you should be on a Harley Davidson? :D

(Harley Davidson, the most effective way to convert gasoline into noise without the adverse side affect of horsepower) LOL

Hey, did you save the cooktop from the trailer for your cabin? Little sink??? How about the icebox or was it a fridge??? Hey, frame can make a nice 2 place snow-mobile trailer!

cabingal3
# Posted: 27 Jun 2011 08:24

Gar would look good on a Harley.
He is a handsome fellow.there is alot of that kind of thing up that way.
i was hoping to win the lottery to get him his much wanted and desired willies jeep one day.i guess first i need to purchase a lottery ticket,but since i am not much on gambling.i suppose it wont happen anytime soon.
I have a camp stove with an oven already.we sure did save those things.they will be for my new kitchen.
i think soon i may have an indoor kitchen...it was 30 degrees out when i was making coffee. i never started a fire.just went and worked out about the place and got warmed up that way.then we had hot coffee and it was such a lovely time.the mister is ready to go out there and start working somemore.
i told gar,if we lived out here full time-it would be a case of kill or cure.we would be skinny and gnarly in no time.

cabingal3
# Posted: 27 Jun 2011 08:31

There is a couple out there in our neck of the woods.We have admired so much.They moved to bare land last summer.This young woman with 3 or 4 kids..one a baby.Took the train from Chemult to Portland to work while the hubby stayed home and built up the land and their home and homeschooled the kids.
well then this woman got her job transfer to work in Kalamath.Its like 60 miles away.She gets up at the crack of dawn...and heads to work in ice and snow over hill and dale...to support her family.
they have built a home and barns and have goats and chickens...off the grid.i admire them so much.
well someone wanted a loan and the inspector came out and saw how people live out there and someone reported this family...
sort of sad...even though this person who wanted the loan has promoted going against the code and permits and such.All the regulars out there are against this family.one issue is the kids dont go to school.well u can homeschool your kids.i sure did.
I guess one of the things that happened was the christian fellow across the way offered to do a mess of nice things for them.and then he was also giving them water.and he wanted a cord of wood in return.well i guess they had a falling out.
this is the kind of thing i get very worried about .this is why i like to just go out to our woods and work and not be beholding to anyone.
what is your thoughts on any of this?

Gary O
# Posted: 27 Jun 2011 09:16 - Edited by: Gary O

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
Gary, anyone ever tell you it looks like you should be on a Harley Davidson?

Up until now, only a few hundred.........

Yeah, let the beard go a bit too long.
I usually let it go (grow) thru winter, and get to the fulcrum point of goin' for the Sonny Barger, or all the way to the Billy Gibbons look.........then do some shrub trimming.
And don't get me talkin' 'bout pan heads and their peculiarities.........It'd halfta be a different forum....w-a-a-a-y different.
Got too many friends that are no more, and cross town cousins (actual career bikers, of the unsavory genre) all crippled up to even think about hoppin' on one again. Seeing the look on cabi's face was enough, after I'd dumped mid wheelie, and was the last time I straddled one (long ago). Have enough trouble keepin' the Jeep rubber side down...
But appreciate the observation, T-tech.
My motto now: 'Born to be Mild'

Gary O
# Posted: 27 Jun 2011 09:18 - Edited by: Gary O

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
Hey, did you save the cooktop from the trailer for your cabin? Little sink??? How about the icebox or was it a fridge??? Hey, frame can make a nice 2 place snow-mobile trailer!

Icebox
Saved all that.

You betcha

naturelover66
# Posted: 27 Jun 2011 16:25

Glad you two kids had fun....... Nice Shower Cabi !!!
Hey, how is that cute little Red Building holding up ??

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 27 Jun 2011 22:13

Quoting: cabingal3
even though this person who wanted the loan has promoted going against the code and permits and such.All the regulars out there are against this family.one issue is the kids dont go to school.well u can homeschool your kids.i sure did.
I guess one of the things that happened was the christian fellow across the way offered to do a mess of nice things for them.and then he was also giving them water.and he wanted a cord of wood in return.well i guess they had a falling out.
this is the kind of thing i get very worried about .this is why i like to just go out to our woods and work and not be beholding to anyone.
what is your thoughts on any of this?

Cabi, that is too bad. I suppose they could of towed in an old clapped out trailer, parked a chevy van close to it, tied th e 2 together with OSB wood and all legal.

They act as if they are concerned about your safety. I think the permit just lets them know about it so they can up your taxes when its done.

Too bad about that family, what was the outcome, a fine and OK'd???

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 27 Jun 2011 22:15

Quoting: Gary O
Up until now, only a few hundred.........

Thats funny. I have a guy whom I have befriended and he also looks like he should be on a Harley. I told him that also. He keeps an eye on my place, so its nice to have a rough looking "biker" watching over it intimidating everyone.

I still ride 2 wheels, loads of dirt bikes, but my only street bike now is a Kawasaki KLR650 dualsport. Like to ride this over to the cabin sometime when the cabin is fully furnished and I only need some clothes and a little food.

cabingal3
# Posted: 28 Jun 2011 05:36

toyota_mdt_tech,
whats so very funny about the family who moved in and u know...the husband was laid off.So i feel they have worked so hard to make a go of it all.There place is not messy or dirty...just alot going on.
the very funny and unfair part is-they have gotten on someones bad side.Out in those woods is one fellow who has a couple of lots just filled with so much junk and such an eyesore.Others have places clearly not to code and looking like it and its just sad.I think maybe cause they are so out in the open and right next to one of the fancy homes...
makes me glad we are off the beaten path...for sure.

Scott_T
# Posted: 28 Jun 2011 15:42

so much junk and such an eyesore.Others have places clearly not to code and looking like it and its just sad

Cabi, close to my land parcel are about a dozen or so acre-sized lots that are trashy, junk filled abodes. The sight of it was almost enough to dissuade me from buying there. However the people I have met so far seem to be nice, hard working folk just trying to cobble a living. In the suburbs we have a place to hide our junk --we call it a basement or a garage. :-)

cabingal3
# Posted: 29 Jun 2011 07:44

sort of sad...even though this person who wanted the loan has promoted going against the code and permits and such

Scott-i dont mean its sad there is people who have places not to code.ours is not...
and we have junk too.its sad that the very person who was projecting to not go by the code is the very one attacking that little family who has worked so hard.so so hard.NOW he needs a loan-snicker.political stuff.ya know?i am so glad we have kept our distance from it all.
i think people that move way out in the boonies...should get to have junk in there yard.hee hee hee.
i love junk and no code.its what u move out there for.peace,quiet n freedom.dont u think so.to an extent.everything has a limit.:)

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 29 Jun 2011 07:48

i love junk and no code.its what u move out there for.peace,quiet n freedom

A M E N----me too!!!!!

cabingal3
# Posted: 29 Jun 2011 09:17

turkeyhunter...u bet cha!:)

cabingal3
# Posted: 23 Jul 2012 01:32

Back from the woods.
the little grandsons had a heck of a fun time.they are older now.i stil had to babysit them.
They now are using B B guns.I did not know the 12 yr old who seemed to hit the can every time...had already been at his friends house practicing.The little one was a kick.He seems to be the tall skinny boy who can barely pump the gun.He starts out with the number 2 instead of 1 so he can be that much ahead in trying to pump the gun.
He seemed to be able to shoot anything way far but not the can close by.Made me think he was far-sighted.
a few times b b's ricocheted.The boys kept aiming things at us.they spent one day making homemade bows and arrows.and we kept telling them not to aim things at our face.They have no really had much in the way of lessons in all of this.
Gar worked like a wild man.made mesh screens for our doors so we could have these to keep bugs out and the breeze in and blowing thru our cabin.then he started on the windows and making screens for them.
then he headed to the one outer wall and put shakes on there.
i was sad to not get to help him much.i was too busy making sure the boys did not shoot or ax each other.
In the evenings we would play games and tell stories.
it got so hot.i tried to get the grandsons to take a solar shower.i did and man!it was great.
we go again in August.the boys never want to leave Oregon again.we got really tickled at this.we never left oregon.ha ha.it was so far i guess they thought we were in another state.
anyway...we go and get the living room on in august.
Gar was the one to walk the meadow in the early morning hours.i did not this time.we saw a cougar outside of Eugene,oregon on the side of the road looking like he wanted to cross.we could not believe it.
the boys dont ever want to go again.they said it was too hot.they did get to see the stars in the nite.they could not believe the sky.these memories for them,i hope will always stick...even if they are city boys.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 23 Jul 2012 06:36

So cool. It's funny to here the kids projects. My grandsons also were building bows last weekend. Those silly kids. I have to show you a pic.

Owen
Gavin_at_cabin.jpg
Gavin_at_cabin.jpg

cabingal3
# Posted: 23 Jul 2012 13:15

Owen thats a great picture.ours cut down tree branches and peeled them and whittled on the so called arrows and then the bows...oh so funny.big rope.
such fun times.such memories.the older grandson would not use the outhouse.ever!ha ha ha.
i took lots of pics! left the camera in the cabin.
we are getting better though.alot of times we get 20 miles away and realize we forgot to lock the cabin.so this time we locked the cabin but forgot the camera.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 24 Jul 2012 10:33

I don't have to lock up. No one can find our place. I know that sounds strange, but you'd have to see it to understand.
Our big problem now is getting the grand kids there. I used to have an eight passenger rig, but no more. At the most we can haul two and the dogs. Our kids, can't even afford the gas to get there. It's hard for us too, but once and a while we can take the car and the truck. I'm sure as the summer turns cooler we'll have some fun.

Owen
The two oldest
The two oldest

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.