Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Todays "Firewise" improvement project
<< . 1 . 2 .
toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 Nov 2023 13:31

ICC, do you have ponderosa pines? I get lots of needles falling, really see it when I get there in spring.

My son in law ga ve ne a real nice Stihl pack pack blower, he used it to clear all my gravel of the needles, then all campsites and gravel drive. So he left it behind for me.

It takes me several hours in spring, but looks good when done.

Notice lack of needles except under truck and trailer.
packingup.jpg
packingup.jpg

ICC
# Posted: 11 Nov 2023 13:57 - Edited by: ICC

Quoting: gcrank1
a Lot of rakin

Yes a lot of raking.

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
ICC, do you have ponderosa pines?

Mostly ponderosa. Before the fire some doug fir, white pine, gambel oak, aspen. Aspens are coming back. Some gambel oak is recovering.

We tried blowing needles several years ago. Sometimes, in some places that would work. Part of the problem is the almost constant drought. Much of the time, like now, it is so dry, that dirt blows away too. The pictured area has some grass but it is in clumps with bare ground between. If it gets a little moist the dirt will not blow away. Several tons of crushed stone would be one solution, but I also like the native grasses.

It is so dry I raise an impenetrable dust cloud behind the truck on the 6 miles of dirt in and out. There is not much traffic so mostly I do not eat others dust. Thankfully. The engine and cabin air filters can get dirty in a hurry.
-izzy

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.