Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Buying a Used ATV
. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
spencerin
# Posted: 19 Mar 2024 11:50

I'm toying around with the idea of buying a used ATV, for recreational purposes as well as light duty purposes.

I'm wanting to stay at $2,000 or less. Any brands I should steer clear from? Any you recommend? How about minimum engine size? And is 4x4 that more beneficial than 2x4 on an ATV?

Brettny
# Posted: 19 Mar 2024 12:05

Fourtrax 300 4x4. Stone axe simple, they sold a million of them and still sell parts. They where mostly unchanged from the late 1980s to 1998-1999.

I bought a brand new 1998 fourtrax 300 4x4 in 1998 for about $3500..sold it a few years later. 2yrs ago when I was looking for a property quad that's what I bought. This one is a 1993 and with the original carb after sitting all winter it starts like I ran it yesterday. This machine was beat to hell too.

I have never owned any other brand machines so cant comment on them. We mostly have a fleet of honda stuff. 2003 400ex, 2008 400ex, crf100, a 2008 polaris rzr and the fourtrax 300 4x4.
I have also owned a polaris scrambler 500 4x4. That was chain drive, it's kind of there weak point.

FishHog
# Posted: 19 Mar 2024 14:00

Agreed with the above or a Yamaha. My 99 Yamaha is still going strong. 4x4 depends on what you’re using it for. But I wouldn’t be without it.

paulz
# Posted: 19 Mar 2024 15:33

I have 2, UTVs actually I suppose, both given to me by businesses after wearing out their good looks lol. Neither is worth touting about but they sure serve a purpose around my property, better than wearing out my daily 4x4 pickup.

Speaking of that, one is a 4x4, other 2x. As you can see, I added chains to the 2x, otherwise useless in the winter mud or climbing hills. That of course depends on your climate and intended use. And the beds are very useful, always filled with something.
IMG_2349.jpeg
IMG_2349.jpeg
IMG_2352.jpeg
IMG_2352.jpeg

travellerw
# Posted: 19 Mar 2024 18:21

$2000 is a pretty small budget these days (at least around here).

I would stay away from any smaller chinese brands like (Wilderness, hison, ect), especially in the early 2000s. They really had poor quality back then.

I would also steer clear of 90s era Polaris 2 strokes. While they are not terrible, they are loud and smokey. There are just better options in those years in a 4 stroke (90s Hondasand Yamaha are almost indestructible).

I have an 03 Honda 300 and while its super reliable and tough, it has a terrible ride compared to my other units. My Yamaha and Bombardier are like riding a rolls compared to it. However, for general duty and putzing I seem to use it more than the others.

gcrank1
# Posted: 19 Mar 2024 18:55

All you would get for $2k here is junk.
Even double that would be sketchy

Brettny
# Posted: 20 Mar 2024 05:45

$2k= junk..well that depends on what you consider junk. Also depends on how much you can fix your self. If a unit does everything he needs is it really junk?

I paid $800 for this fourtrax. It didnt run, needed a stator, brakes and some odds and ends. Those are original tires so I know it wasn't driven to much since 1993. It still could use a clutch and tires. Il be into it about $1500-1600 when all done.

If you dont want to or cant turn a wrench then yes $2k dosnt buy much of a machine.
Screenshot_20220906.jpg
Screenshot_20220906.jpg

spencerin
# Posted: 20 Mar 2024 08:27

I'm in southern IN. Prices are relatively lower. I can find what look to be decent used ATVs for $2,000 or less. Not a lot, but some.....

gcrank1
# Posted: 20 Mar 2024 08:35

Yes, 'junk' is a word that means diff things to diff people.
To me (and Ive spent most of my life, both work and personal, involved in maintaining and even rebuilding equipment) junk means 'requires significant work and/or expense to make it functional'.
Id like to say I have no illusions any more, that I don't get sucked into something by only seeing the 'potential' rather than the reality, but Im my own worst enemy.....
Guess 'btdt' wraps it up pretty good for me.

paulz
# Posted: 20 Mar 2024 08:47

Helps to ask around, not just read classifieds. These are the types of things that are often left alone to die for simple reasons. For example, I did some wood splitting for a widow a couple years ago. She called last month, has an ATV she bought for her grandson. Don’t know where he went but it’s been sitting there for awhile, key’s lost, battery dead, fuel bad.. Told her I would pick it up and get it going, she just wants it gone.

jsahara24
# Posted: 20 Mar 2024 08:47 - Edited by: jsahara24

I would say Honda is #1 when it comes to reliability in quads......

I have an 06 Yamaha Kodiak 450 4x4, great machine and great ride comfort....Have over 6k miles on it and it has treated me well, but I've done some work to it and it could use some more....

Also have an early 2000s Honda 4x4 with the electronic shift. Haven't had it as long but seems to be a good machine as well, but doesn't ride as good as the yamaha....

We also have a polaris rzr 800, that machine has treated me well and we've had a lot of fun with it....have had to do some work to it, think I'm in the 3,500 mile range.

Recently bought my first new machine, a honda pioneer 700....Its a great machine for using on our farm, but not the best for trail riding"....

So I think it really depends on what you plan to do with it, you said recreation which sounds like trail riding.....these older 4x4 machines generally don't have the best ride....but if putting around is your goal with some utility work around your property they would work well for you....

gcrank1
# Posted: 20 Mar 2024 09:32

It is sounding like the really expensive part of these is that nobody can have 'just one', lol.

spencerin
# Posted: 20 Mar 2024 09:44

I have 20 acres of land, 85% cleared. I just want something I can play around with for 30-60 minutes if I feel like it (recreational), but also be able to haul tools (e.g. chainsaw) and wood around on, and likely even tow a 5' x 8' utility trailer with (utility). I doubt it'll actually get that much use in the long run, but it will definitely get *some* use.....

jsahara24
# Posted: 20 Mar 2024 13:13

Quoting: gcrank1
It is sounding like the really expensive part of these is that nobody can have 'just one', lol.

Fair point...haha.....

Quoting: spencerin
I have 20 acres of land, 85% cleared. I just want something I can play around with for 30-60 minutes if I feel like it (recreational), but also be able to haul tools (e.g. chainsaw) and wood around on, and likely even tow a 5' x 8' utility trailer with (utility). I doubt it'll actually get that much use in the long run, but it will definitely get *some* use.....

Based on that id recommend a honda or yamaha 4x4, or an UTV...

KinAlberta
# Posted: 20 Mar 2024 13:18 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Quoting: travellerw
I would also steer clear of 90s era Polaris 2 strokes. While they are not terrible, they are loud and smokey. There are just better options in those years in a 4 stroke (90s Hondasand Yamaha are almost indestructible).

My brother has a 90s Polaris. Totally agree on the noise and smoke. Also the smaller tires are now rather hard to find (10” wheels). However I’d say it’s been pretty tough and reliable. His polaris has some kind of oil reservoir oil injection system so no mixing of gas required.

A few good points in this article:

2 Stroke vs 4 Stroke ATV Engines: Which Is Better?
https://www.westshoremarine.ca/2-stroke-vs-4-stroke-atv-engines/

All the newer ATVs / quads are very heavy.

paulz
# Posted: 20 Mar 2024 13:58

Here is the one the widow has. Picking it up tomorrow. Looks pretty small, 50 or 100cc maybe.
IMG_2358.jpeg
IMG_2358.jpeg

gcrank1
# Posted: 20 Mar 2024 15:08

Oh...the Toy model

paulz
# Posted: 20 Mar 2024 15:39

Well I have no plans to keep it, although when I just need to shut my gate I ride an old Suzuki RM80 mini bike down there. Probably look like a bear riding a tricycle in the circus.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 20 Mar 2024 20:39

Quoting: paulz
Here is the one the widow has. Picking it up tomorrow. Looks pretty small, 50 or 100cc maybe.
IMG_2358.jpeg
IMG_2358.jpeg

That looks like the Yamaha 90 Raptor or a chicom clone (stolen intellectual property)

Get a 4WD unit if you want to do work with it, get shaft drive, 4 strokes only. Running board to keep your shoes clean, this is the section between back of front fender to front of rear fender. If tis open, you will have cold wet muddy shoes

Brettny
# Posted: 21 Mar 2024 11:20

have 20 acres of land

I find my self needing to get to places even on my 10ac property quickly so I just take the quad. I also pull a small yard cart with things. Pulling a 5x8ft trailer even full of wood isnt much of a stretch. You dont need to do 20mph, just get there.

gcrank1
# Posted: 21 Mar 2024 12:04

My glorified golf car Toro Workman (pre utv) that has a decent size & capacity dump box was my go to before the JD 1025r tractor.
The Toro has a new B&S Vanguard 16hp v-twin that alone was over $2000 a couple years ago .
And the Workman has NO suspension; it was made to work smoothish places. I go slow......
I bought it after looking for a decent/affordable utv and finding Nothing around here (everything decent was eye-popping expensive)

paulz
# Posted: 21 Mar 2024 17:16

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
That looks like the Yamaha 90 Raptor or a chicom clone (stolen intellectual property)

Yep, got made in China right on it. Can’t find a brand name, need to order an ignition switch, or hot wire but 4 wires in the connector, red, green, black, black with white stripe.
IMG_2363.jpeg
IMG_2363.jpeg

darz5150
# Posted: 21 Mar 2024 19:31

Could be a Tao Tao. Check Amazon for parts.

paulz
# Posted: 22 Mar 2024 11:57

Thanks Darz. I looked at 50 switches online, same connector and wire colors but wires colors in a different spot. Not only that, my colors don’t match on either side of the connector on the ATV! I could take a chance and plug a new one in and hope. Chinese wiring at its best.
IMG_2380.png
IMG_2380.png
IMG_2376.jpeg
IMG_2376.jpeg

spencerin
# Posted: 26 Mar 2024 14:02 - Edited by: spencerin

I just can't decide on what to buy -

I'm thinking about buying a cheap Chinese-made ATV (a Tao Motor Rhino 250) - it'll be new, and parts are cheap. But, then I think I "need" 4WD, but I refuse to pay "new" prices. I can find enough used 4WD ATVs on FB Marketplace, but you just don't know the full condition of what you're buying from a private seller. I'm thinking most used ATVs are beat to heck even if they don't look like it. Interestingly, the 4WD ATVs I find are all around 20 years old, regardless of price; I rarely see any newer. Maybe that's a hint......

Again, it's not going to be used a lot in the long run, occasionally for recreation, maybe to haul something here and there (although I'm not sure what I would haul with it that I wouldn't/couldn't with my truck and/or trailer). My property is very much uphill from front to back, but it's also tiered - flat in the front, flat in the back.

In your opinions, does 4WD confer that much of an advantage over 2WD on an ATV, especially with those knobby tires?

ICC
# Posted: 26 Mar 2024 17:31

My property is very much uphill from front to back, but it's also tiered - flat in the front, flat in the back.

In your opinions, does 4WD confer that much of an advantage over 2WD on an ATV, especially with those knobby tires?

Is the planned use on established more-or-less civilized trails or roads or will you venture onto rocky terrain or terrain with loose soil or gravel on slopes? If the use will be over trails and roads that a 2wd car can reverse then a 2WD ATV should do. Otherwise, a 4WD.

And to add to the confusion, just like with cars and trucks there are 4WD and AWD types of ATV. I prefer true (selectable on-or-off with hi & lo range) 4WD like the Yamaha we have that also has a front locker. But my wife preferred the mid-80's Honda FourTrax that is full-time 4WD, more like today's AWD.

I'm thinking about buying a cheap Chinese-made ATV (a Tao Motor Rhino 250) - it'll be new, and parts are cheap.

I don't like things with cheap parts as that likely means the original parts are also cheaply made and more prone to requiring replacements and maintenance.

I just can't decide on what to buy -

It may be best to take a breather and let the idea sit on a back burner for a while.

gcrank1
# Posted: 26 Mar 2024 18:09

After having my aforementioned Toro Workman with 2wd, and having some rolling (not rugged) terrain, I can't recommend other than 4wd.
Once you have a load (in box or pulling a trailer) and get some wet grass you are seriously compromised.
Also, a winch is nice. Mine is on a bracket that quickly fits front or rear and powered by my 'spare' LA battery.

FishHog
# Posted: 27 Mar 2024 07:46

I don't know your conditions, but at my place 2wd would be next to useless for the work I do in all but the driest summer months.

jsahara24
# Posted: 27 Mar 2024 08:11 - Edited by: jsahara24

2wd ATVs can go a lot more places than you would imagine, but you end up needing to "work" the machine shifting body weight, etc.....With 4wd its a more relaxing ride.... If you add a trailer to the back I wouldn't get a 2wd, it will push you down your hill especially if things get wet/muddy....

I would advise against cheap Chinese brands....I know it sounds cheaper but you will zero resale value, and likely headaches throughout your ownership..

Do any of your friends have one that you could take up for a weekend and see how it feels on your property??

spencerin
# Posted: 31 Mar 2024 22:39

After a lot of back and forth, I decided to buy a new Tao Motor Bull 200. It seemed to best balance the pros and cons for me. If I remember to, I'll let you know how it works out in the long run.....

. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.