Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Anyone Going to thier Cabin this weekend?????
. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
Patgreat
# Posted: 27 Apr 2012 11:26

Anyone going to thier cabin this weekend and what do you plan to doing there?

This will be my first trip to the cabin since Presidents day weekend. I was supposed to go up two other times already but had last minute problems at home that prevented me from going up. Weather looks nice, mid 50's and sunny in the day. I got a ton of work to do. I have to take back my yard(aka mow it), replaceall of my winter windows with summer windows, put my dock in the water, clean out my stove pipe, fix the flu on my chimney, do some spring clenaing and find time to get out bass fishing. Should be an awesome weekend.

Rifraf
# Posted: 27 Apr 2012 12:12 - Edited by: Rifraf

Yes indeed, I will finish all my electrical ( all plugs and lights will be live) , complete my soffit to ridge vent paths, and fully insulate my ceiling.

and i'll be finalizing payment to my well and well pump guys and the well will be there mid next week, septic guy the week after that.

Ill also make some time for some quality antiquing , on the lookout for old buffet & dry sink that I can convert into bathroom vanity and kitchen base cabinet.

wakeslayer
# Posted: 27 Apr 2012 12:50

Lucky you. Have fun !!

We finally get to go to ours on the 7th. Got word that my cabin site is clear of snow, and my water hydrant thawed out... (first time freeze occurence in January)
Still 2-3 feet of snow in the driveway. Crossing my fingers that melts by then.

Can. Not. Wait.

bobrok
# Posted: 27 Apr 2012 14:22

We are also going up for the first time this year. I have a lot of long visits planned this year to make up for the lack of time spent there last summer due to our daughter's wedding.
We are down to minimal stuff left to do; most remodeling and construction has been completed. This year its putting in stairs to the lake and constructing a small dock and deck area at the waterfront. I have to remodel one large floor to ceiling kichen cabinet in order to take better advantage of space. Gonna haul some dirt to fill in low areas where I constantly misstep and wrench my back when not being careful. I got a great deal on CL last year...bought a 16' retractable camper awning for $100. Installing that over back deck.
I am also going to bring up my carpet tubes and computer fans (from ceiling fan thread) and see just how effective this method will be in circulating heat. Going to try every which way...pushing heat down from the top, pulling it down through the tube with fan at bottom, pushing the cold air up, pulling cold air up, one fan per tube, two fans per tube. I am anxious to see some results.

wakeslayer: I thought we had it bad with cold and snow in the northeast. I don't think I could handle 2-3 feet of snow remaining yet in late April. Stiff upper lip; it'll be gone soon.

Good traveling to everyone!

wakeslayer
# Posted: 27 Apr 2012 16:24

The ski mountain near our cabin had almost 400 inches this year. I generally use a factor of x.6 for our snowfall. I am pretty happy to hear that is all we have left.

ShabinNo5
# Posted: 27 Apr 2012 19:26

We are leaving Saturday morning for another "Labor Camp". This weekend we hope to complete phase I of the crawl space under the building referred to as "Munchkin Manor". On the plus side home will be in the 40's with rain, while the Shabin will be sunny and in the 50's.

bobrok
# Posted: 27 Apr 2012 20:15

Ha! Thank God for those xtra 10°!
Means all the world, doesn't it?

trollbridge
# Posted: 27 Apr 2012 20:51

Actually bobrok it does!!!!! Have fun getting back to your place!

Our plans for the weekend just changed and it is really tempting to go up north and set up the bunk bed we have pre built at home. Don't know if it is worth the gas money to do that though?!?

Shabin...I like that term "labor camp"!! Good luck to you this weekend.

wakeslayer...it is coming up quickly and I know how excited you are!

Patgreat and Rifraf have great weekends too!!! Stay safe!

customrunner
# Posted: 27 Apr 2012 23:58

Heading up on sunday for the day, hope to finish the deck and get started on the cedar siding will be my last trip up till after Vegas trip, were we will spend our first overnighter for a hole long weekend at the property Ya!!!

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 28 Apr 2012 00:18

We're at our cabin NOW! LOL. And the game plan is to pre ride some routes for our bike rally that happens here in sept. I am the ride coordinator so I have work to do that is not cabin related. Always love coming here no matter what the reason.

trollbridge
# Posted: 28 Apr 2012 11:47

Bzzzzzt sounds like fun.....I agree no matter what the reason it is always fun to go to the cabin!

My husband is working this morning and then we thought maybe we would go north but we decided to save the money. Wish gas prices were not so high-we feel like we have to get a full weekend in if we are going to spend the $$$. It would have been about 100.00 cause we would have had to pull the trailer to take the bunk bed.

trollbridge
# Posted: 30 Apr 2012 15:45

Turns out we were selfish and irresponsible according to our practical sides and we went Up North afterall!!!!

The bunk bed fit into the van so we didn't need the trailer...which is how we justified going out to eat Saturday night at the cabin....you know-with all the $$$ we saved!!!! Oh how twisted our minds can be!!!!

cabingal3
# Posted: 30 Apr 2012 19:01

heading there soon.taking the grandsons with us.
i wanted to do paintball with the boys .hubby says he does not want paint all over.i suppose i just thougth of the fun of it all.so he is right.we dont.we are going in a couple of weeks.putting on shakes.excited about this.

trollbridge
# Posted: 30 Apr 2012 19:12

cabingal3,
...you must be very excited to go...I know you are! Instead of paintball you could do air-soft guns. They shoot little plastic beads. OR I've heard those marshmallow guns are a blast and I know someone who made them out of PVC piping. I'm certain the directions must be on line. My daughter "played" these in highschool at a friends cabin and said it was very,very fun!!! I've always wanted to have my husband make some but there are just so many other things to always do!!

Just
# Posted: 30 Apr 2012 20:08

I' am off to our place on lake Erie to do some smelt fishing.i'll try to get some pic's. seems a bit early but we herd they are running .mmmmm bones and fins, not my favorite !!

nicalisa
# Posted: 30 Apr 2012 22:02

sigh, had hoped to go up this next weekend, but hubby has a business mtg ah well.....maybe next one! the next weekend we are there, I will be able to hang my cafe curtains that I made by sewing blue and white tea towels and adding bits of lace and red trim to them.

I sewed them over a year ago in anticipation of the window casing! it is almost time!!!

Rob_O
# Posted: 1 May 2012 00:04

I got rained out. Little storm came through Saturday night dropping golf ball sized hail!

cabingal3
# Posted: 1 May 2012 06:54

Quoting: Just
I' am off to our place on lake Erie to do some smelt fishing.

no smelt here anymore.i am so envious.they just went away one year.use to get free 5 gallon buckets full.sure helped feed the family.my dad use to smelt in Michigan when we lived there as a kid.
Quoting: trollbridge
I've heard those marshmallow guns are a blast

u know gal.we have some.i have to dig around in the pile of guns the little boys have.thanks for the idea.its great.
nicalisa-those curtains sound really cute.

trollbridge
# Posted: 1 May 2012 07:48

Rob_O...............are you in Mo. Too????? I saw there was large hail there over the weekend. You seem to have the worse luck with weather!!! Hope you can get to your happy place soon!!!!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 3 May 2012 19:28

This weekend my husband is going with our 15 year old son to hang Sheetrock up high on the gable ends. I have to stay home and take my daughter to two different birthday parties-one Saturday morning and one Sunday afternoon......I swear I think every 2nd grader has a spring birthday and they all are having parties!!

Oh well....sacrifices, sacrifices.....

Rifraf
# Posted: 3 May 2012 20:09

Lol, yeah my daughter is 13 and my son is 9. We drop off and pick up and attend more bday parties than I can count

I'm going back this weekend, finishing up all my roof insulation and hopefully laying down my flooring ( thanks Tim ! )

Trip after this one will be ceiling planks and drywall

justincasei812
# Posted: 4 May 2012 08:21

Went up to the cabin last weekend by myself for that same reason. B-day parties that could not be missed or her life would have been ruined. LOL Without all the distractions I did get a lot done!!!! Finished everything on my list and a couple more items. This weekend just the girlfriend and I are going to do some much needed relaxing and well maybe a little work if she will let me. The big stuff is done and now it is mainly the small stuff other than putting the generator in a cellar of sorts to dampen the sound down. Even a Honda in the middle of the woods is loud!!

wakeslayer
# Posted: 4 May 2012 09:31

We leave Monday for a week in Idaho. We are going to go to Moscow for a couple days to just hang in the town and see if we like it. We plan to move out there at some point, and need to start to get a feel for where we want our primary home to be. Much milder climate there versus two hours north.
We go to the cabin Wed AM and have no plans to leave once there until we come home Sunday. Our only projects are to tidy up after our winter trip, get some laundry done, and relax.

Got a snow melt update on the bottom half of my driveway as of Tuesday evening. Mostly melted with a couple patches. There is one turn up near the top that gets no exposure. That could be a problem, but won't know til we get there.

Can. Not. Wait.

trollbridge
# Posted: 4 May 2012 20:40

So excited for you wakeslayer!!!!! I hope you and your wife have a great time together and that you enjoy Moscow...good to test the waters before driving in!

Rob_O
# Posted: 4 May 2012 22:36

Rob_O...............are you in Mo. Too????? I saw there was large hail there over the weekend. You seem to have the worse luck with weather!!! Hope you can get to your happy place soon!!!!!

I'm West of Louisville, KY. There are storms in the area (again) this weekend but it's looking like the worst of it will be going North and South of me. The forecast is improving and I might get a night in this weekend

Rob_O
# Posted: 5 May 2012 10:58

Quoting: Rob_O
The forecast is improving and I might get a night in this weekend

I guess I cursed myself, not long after I posted the storm that was falling apart started building in intensity and we got almost 2"of rain last night

trollbridge
# Posted: 5 May 2012 11:03

Oh wow. Next time mums the word

Do you think you will be able to go today for the night???

Rob_O
# Posted: 5 May 2012 15:33

Do you think you will be able to go today for the night???

It will be a muddy mess today so I'm having a lazy day. If it doesn't rain tonight I'll be out there tomorrow to mow the weeds and cook some burgers

trollbridge
# Posted: 5 May 2012 18:03

Quoting: Rob_O

It will be a muddy mess today so I'm having a lazy day

It is 57 degrees here and thunderstorming and I've got one birthday party down, cleaned the house...well most of it, done laundry, already grabbed dinner at Wendy's for me and my daughter and now am sitting with nothing to do while my husband is up north grilling burgers, enjoying the screened porch and yes working too-----sheetrock sounds like it is almost done, vapor barrier installed, scratch coat for stone wall is drying and built in bunk bed is complete now with slats and board for mattresses to go down. Seems like he gets way more done when I'm not there. Hmmmmm....

trollbridge
# Posted: 6 May 2012 09:51

More storms over night..............very,very soggy here.............lost power............I feel like Rob_O!!!

Tons of rain up north too........bet my husband will report back that there is standing water everywhere. One thing we really need to do is get the tractor up there and work on drainage on the back of the cabin. Last year it looked like we owned lakefront property!

Tomorrow is the BIG day wakeslayer!!! Oh...and it is better to test the waters before diving in-not driving in!!! Freudian slip? Brain fart? Who knows???

. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.