Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Anyone Going to thier Cabin this weekend?????
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
wakeslayer
# Posted: 6 May 2012 11:07

Hey TB,

Yep, we leave tomorrow !! Not getting to the cabin til Wed though. As much as I want to check out the other town, I would be more than happy to just go straight there. This means we actually need to bring a couple articles of clothing and toothbrushes... Something we have not done in years.
Even if there is snow on the last corner of our drive that only leaves a couple hundred feet that we would have to hoof it. I am thinking it will be gone. Driving through it is sometimes an option. I could always spool out the winch and hook up before to take the crap your pants factor out. I almost put the Jeep down a ravine last year on the main road. As fun as big tires are, they are terrible in snow and slush.
We got over 3 inches of rain here yesterday and last night. Imagine it came right over to you afterwards. We are putting my dock in today. It is a 14 section manual install. Up to our necks in 52* water. I don't think my friends or kids like me very much today.

trollbridge
# Posted: 6 May 2012 12:13

I haven't heard what our rainfall total was but it came down hard and for a long time! Lost power for a while. What lake are you on? My folks kept a boat on Lake Minnetonka for many years...would spend all summer out there with friends. It was a blast! 52* is a bit cold! LOL!!!! Our 8 year old keeps begging to open the pool...she started about a month ago! I keep telling her there is probably still ice under the cover!!!! She isn't quite sure if she should believe me or not! Kids are funny.

I hope you have no issues at your cabin this time. Your running water should work so showers will be nice!!!! Good luck getting up the driveway-hopefully you will make it the whole way in the jeep with no YIKES moments...okay...maybe just some baby yikes for a little thrill-------don't need to end up in the ravine or anything!!!

Have a great time together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wakeslayer
# Posted: 6 May 2012 18:23

We live on a small semi-private lake about an hour NW of the Twin Cities.

Dock is in!! Record time, straight and all. it was a pretty decent day to do it. about 60, and no wind. We have drysuits so water temp doesn't matter for a couple hours.

Have a great week everyone, I know we will.

Mike

Rob_O
# Posted: 6 May 2012 21:10

Quoting: trollbridge
More storms over night..............very,very soggy here.............lost power............I feel like Rob_O!!!

Last nights big storms went... somewhere other than here. Timed it so I hit the checkout of the grocery store at 12:59:30... and was on my property 20 minutes later sipping a cold adult beverage

The forest was still a muddy mess but the clearing was dry enough to mow the weeds. There were still a few patches of standing water, I'll work on those with the box grader when it finally stops raining every other day

Rolled out my 150' of #10 extension cord and tested the AC unit, little more voltage drop than I'd like to see but it's going to work just fine.

Not a bad way to spend the day

trollbridge
# Posted: 6 May 2012 21:25

Glad you had an enjoyable day at your place Rob_O!!!

Rob O
# Posted: 12 May 2012 00:33

I'm at my camp now. Bobcat will be here in the AM to dig out some stumps and smooth out some rough spots. Going to be a great weekend!

naturelover66
# Posted: 12 May 2012 10:00

I'm leaving to head to the cabin this morning. Gonna be a great mothers day . My first at the cabin !!

Rob_O
# Posted: 17 May 2012 20:02

Quoting: Rob O
Going to be a great weekend!

It was Great Friday night. Rain came in Saturday night and we got 2" Sunday

Skid Steer arrived as expected and finished some areas I've been working on

Small brush pile

Now a big brush pile

Can you find the skid steer?

New View

New View

trollbridge
# Posted: 17 May 2012 20:37

Well thank goodness you got done before the rain came----you would have a muddy mess otherwise! Beautiful land btw! Is this where the eventual cabin will sit?

trollbridge
# Posted: 17 May 2012 20:39

We will be home this weekend-----gotta whip this place into shape! It is really hard to keep up on two places!

Rob_O
# Posted: 17 May 2012 21:27

Quoting: trollbridge
Beautiful land btw! Is this where the eventual cabin will sit?

If you look at the last picture, the cabin will be to the left of the trailer and the big house will eventually go just right of center back in the woods a little facing the trailer

I'll be going out this weekend to finish it up with the box grader and lay some seed. No rain forecast for this weekend, hope it stays that way

trollbridge
# Posted: 18 May 2012 12:38

It will be awesome...when are your plans to start on the cabin?

Rob O
# Posted: 18 May 2012 23:28

I'm on the "pay as you go" plan so it might be a year or two before I build. The trailer cabin is starting to feel small but it's warm/cool/dry as needed so it's doing the job until I can afford to make a real upgrade

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 28 May 2012 13:31 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

Hi guys. I have a remote cabin in SE Aitkin Co. Way off the grid, and yes a bit wet lately. I have five game cams out and that's great intertaiment. Here's my camp and some of the wildlife.

Owen
camp
camp
game
game
game
game
game
game

ErinsMom
# Posted: 28 May 2012 15:45

OwenC,
tell us more. square footage, photos of the inside, etc.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 28 May 2012 16:06

The main section is 12' x 20' 7' walls with a second floor and a 2' knee wall and 12/12 pitch roof and one dormer. A hatch and swing up stail ladder to get upstairs. There is a 10x 12 one level addition for the entry, closet and bedroom. The covered porch is only six foot wide. The cabin has only LP for lights and cooking. Wood heat and a LP heater for back-up. Four single beds upstairs and a sofa bed in the main room make it possible for sleeping of eight. That's mostly grandkids. We also have a 12x 12 guest house for real company. That's well insulated and had a camper funace for heat.

Owen
guest house
guest house
sauna
sauna
camp truck
camp truck

trollbridge
# Posted: 29 May 2012 13:15 - Edited by: trollbridge

Quoting: OwenChristensen
I have a remote cabin in SE Aitkin Co. Way off the grid, and yes a bit wet lately.

A bit wet? We are two counties over in Wi and listened to those thunderstorm and flood warnings all weekend long!!! We almost floated away, but the bridge and driveway did well and on the bright side - at least we aren't paying the high taxes for our lake front cabin!!! LOL! How did you fare?
100_8819.JPG
100_8819.JPG
100_8821.JPG
100_8821.JPG
100_8825.JPG
100_8825.JPG

Dillio187
# Posted: 29 May 2012 13:43 - Edited by: Dillio187

Quoting: wakeslayer
We live on a small semi-private lake about an hour NW of the Twin Cities.

nice to see some fellow Minnesotans and Cheeseheads here. My cabin is in Pine County in east central MN, and has been a total mess to get back to with all this rain. My rain gauge at the cabin was full at 10 inches, it's only been 2 weeks since I've been up there. Ugh. I did get some good work done inside the last few days, about half the floor is done, and the AC wiring is just about done. STOP RAINING PLEASE!
roadflood.jpg
roadflood.jpg
water.jpg
water.jpg
mud.jpg
mud.jpg
piper_bed.jpg
piper_bed.jpg

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 29 May 2012 14:44

Yes , it is nice to here from like minded Mn and WI wanabe hermits.
I've been spending a lot of time wrecking beaver dams. Most of the time I like them guys, but I need to keep a close eye on 'em or I won't have a dry way to get back on my land. Here's me getting tough on them.

Owen
JD in water
JD in water

trollbridge
# Posted: 29 May 2012 14:58 - Edited by: trollbridge

Welcome to both of you!! It is nice to have fellow Minnesotans and Wisconsonites to share the skeeters with!!!

I wish I could get an accurate rainfall total for our place...just when I thought it may stop it would just burst from the sky again! Unreal. Two things that we realized we're going to NEED to be necessities at the cabin #1. An umbrella for making the mad dash to the outhouse! and 2. rain-boots for everyone! We had not a dry shoe in the cabin!!!

Dillio187
# Posted: 29 May 2012 15:14

I used my rubber winter over boots extensively last weekend. I wish the dog would wear some, I've had it with washing her paws off every time she needs to go outside

trollbridge
# Posted: 29 May 2012 15:17

We made a last minute decision to leave our dog at home with our daughter............all I can say is "thank goodness!!!!!"

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 29 May 2012 16:36 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

We have a bridge too.

Owen
bridge
bridge
pond
pond
screenhouse by pond on back 40
screenhouse by pond on back 40

trollbridge
# Posted: 29 May 2012 17:29

Very cool! We have to cross our bridge in order to get to our cabin and by Sunday we were debating whether or not we should go move all our trailers and vehicles to the other side in case it would wash out. The radio kept talking about floods of epic proportions, equivalent to the flood of 1973- whatever that was!!!! LOL!! We decided to just stay put and take our chances. We were very pleased with how everything held up. When my husband opened the door to go out to pee during the night he could hear the water splashing against the side of the bridge making him wonder how it was holding up. It is a sturdy bridge made out of train bridge timbers-we had to fight the county like no other for the permit because they revoked the original permit we obtained as a condition before closing on the land- pretty nasty way for them to play

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 29 May 2012 18:49 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

I don't ask. We lived at a home that had a bridge my dad built. After a doctor bought the place the bridge washed out. The county didn't let him have a permit. Now they have an ugly culvert. They should have fixed the bridge right away and kept their mouth shut.

Owen

trollbridge
# Posted: 29 May 2012 19:06 - Edited by: trollbridge

yeah...had we known the issues we would have I'm sure it would have made us pause. I believe now that we have the permit we could replace the bridge any way we wanted to. Part of our problem was we had the DNR and FEMA both wanting it their ways...but both ways different from each other so it became a mess and we were kinda like 'pig in the middle'. The dumbest requirement was that the bridge be wide enough for two emergency vehicles to be able to pass each other while crossing the bridge. We got out of that by building our driveway minimum width by code-so if the driveway was not wide enough for two vehicles than why did the bridge need to be???DUH! Silly things they try to enforce!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 29 May 2012 19:36

I don't even have a fire number. If the cabin burns , I want it to burn all the way. Oterwise I'd need to do it later. That's a good reason to be off the grid too.

Owen

trollbridge
# Posted: 29 May 2012 19:58

Yes. We are off grid too but they just watch everything you do so darn closely. We decided in the long run it was better to just do everything legally. Cost us more but at least we don't have to worry now. Our cabin is a far cry from what we first set out to build and WAY more $$$ but God willing we will be able to enjoy it for many, many years to come!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 29 May 2012 20:32

Our cabin's twenty years old now and My grandfater bought the land in 1914. No officials have been here in fifty years.

owen

trollbridge
# Posted: 29 May 2012 22:10

LOL!!! That was the good ol days when you could do more and nobody cared! I think that now that we have had our final inspection with the building inspector nobody much will care...at least that is what I hope! In our county(Douglas) all vacant land is looked at every year and appraised physically by the assessor. They are so determined to catch all building anybody does. By county codes all structures no matter how small need a permit-----if that was followed you would need a permit to build a swing set or even a bench! Bogus!

BTW...the cabins you build are beauties! I love that there are enough folks out there who want a small cabin like that cause there certainly are a lot of McMansion cabins out there....and many for sale right now that can't be sold!

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.