Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Almost buying a camper - deciding on a different course
<< . 1 . 2 .
MtnDon
# Posted: 8 Oct 2012 23:28 - Edited by: MtnDon

Quoting: optimistic
.....closed system with water that will come out of the wall next to the stove, connect to some copper hose....

Is this to have a circulation pump? No mention of a pump was made. I would not want to trust to thermosiphon action in a home brewed system because of the system being long and on one level and because of the next issue below.

The water has to move fast enough to prevent it boiling when heated by the stove. That could cause a steam explosion. Water changed to steam occupies 1600 times more space when at the same pressure.

Antifreeze used in such a system would have to be a non poisonous type in case of a spill. (That's the law everywhere I believe... Federal EPA I think.) Propylene Glycol is the common one and costs more than Ethylene Glycol (common auto anti-freeze). Antifeeze also derates the heat transfer efficiency by about 20% and the pump performance decreases by about 10% due to the increased viscosity compared to straight water.

Circulating air through some simple ductwork might be simpler, cheaper and lighter.

optimistic
# Posted: 9 Oct 2012 08:27

I knew something is off with that guy's (who builds those cabins).. When comparing his weight to tumbleweed's weight he is almost 50% heavier. The reason is that his are 11'5" wide.... No idea how he moves them around.

Anyway, mine should weigh 12600.

Don - I spoke with a PEX dealer and he said my idea might work... I will test prior to closing the floors. If it doesn't then I will add a pump.

tex
# Posted: 14 Oct 2012 10:12

I smell a creative idea, a freebee and frugal budgets here influencing the "idea" of a build/cabin.

To me; I would not be influenced by a freebee, and rationalize, options, if the freebee trailer was NOT available. A smaller cabin, properly built to code, and well designed interior is ALWAYS the proper process for any build. Not only controlling the budget and building time period, but, a safer, and better built building. That one now can sleep better for, and for future buyers, and users of this building.

I say weigh you options carefully, and always go with gut, and builder opinions and your mom, then decide.

Food for thought I would drop the trailer idea, to much risk, and buyers would likely be taken back by this "cobbled design/build".

Captain Winehead
# Posted: 23 Oct 2012 18:27

Optimistic you are one crazed madman. I think this is a genius idea, and you are attacking this full on. Keep going, we need to see some pics when you get the warehouse. Hopefully the prebuilt cabin won't fill up with derelicts & hobos in your Brooklyn warehouse before you can move it to the site.

Never mind the naysayers, if you dream of a rolling cabin then so be it. Lots of ways to lighten the load, and you could partially build then finish the siding & roof if need be.

Good luck, I for one hope this works!

Res ipsa loquat or

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.