Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Another new central WI cabin intro
LDamm
# Posted: 1 Jan 2013 11:22

Hi, Been lurking for about a year, seems like a great place.
For my mid life crises, instead of buying a sports car, I went back to the woods. Started backpacking again, and doing some camping up north.(UP) After finding this site (u all's fault) I started looking for some land for a cabin. Of course I wanted a 100 acres on a lake with no one around, but soon came back to reality. Found a few acres on a small lake within 45 mins of home. Family liked it so the battle was all ready won. Its not what I dreamed, but its close so I get there often, and has most of what I really need vs what I thought I wanted. I'll throw some pics in the projects fourm of what I got done this fall. (12x16 storage shed)
Lee

trollbridge
# Posted: 1 Jan 2013 21:18

Quoting: LDamm
Of course I wanted a 100 acres on a lake with no one around, but soon came back to reality.

Welcome! I saw your storage shed and it looks awesome...I like the way it is tucked into the trees! Where in Wisconsin? Our place is south of Superior, Wi. I'm excited to watch your progress and pretty land btw!

LDamm
# Posted: 2 Jan 2013 07:07

Quoting: trollbridge
Welcome! Where in Wisconsin? Our place is south of Superior, Wi.

Thanks, I've been following your cabin progress for the last year. Congrats on your new cabin dweller.

I live in Oshkosh, work in Fond du Lac, and the cabin (shed) is in the Waupaca area.

My grandmother lived south of Superior, just across the line in Cloverton, MN.

Dillio187
# Posted: 2 Jan 2013 10:04

welcome to the site. My place isn't all that far from where your grandmother lived, nice area!

trollbridge
# Posted: 2 Jan 2013 11:37

yes, we are thinking our "little cabin dweller" might get her first visit to the cabin this weekend-unless the desire to watch the Packer/Viking game becomes too strong for Mr. Troll Probably won't do any work other than clearing snow from the driveway in and the essential paths to the front door and outhouse. We mainly want to check on the place since we haven't been up in so long.

I remember going to a hockey tournament years ago when our oldest son played in Waupaca. Nice area-is that covered bridge still standing? It was very quaint and beautiful.

Soooo...I'm assuming you aren't "dwelling" in your storage shed! Lol...what restrictions do you have in that county? We didn't dwell in ours either...we just occasionally "stored" ourselves there!!!

LDamm
# Posted: 3 Jan 2013 06:43 - Edited by: LDamm

Soooo...I'm assuming you aren't "dwelling" in your storage shed! Lol...what restrictions do you have in that county? We didn't dwell in ours either...we just occasionally "stored" ourselves there!!!

I'm zoned rural residential which means I have ALL the restrictions you can think of. Plus, its lakeshore so they add a few more. I was, however, able to build the accessory building before the primary residence. Shed rules are typical, no plumbing, food prep or sleeping, so no, I'll never sleep over. I am allowed to use my camper on the land for 30 days a year. When I build the real cabin in a few years it has to have a minimum dimension of 22 ft. I was planing a 24 x 30 so I'm good.

trollbridge
# Posted: 3 Jan 2013 16:05

Yes...that is the same zoning we have as well. Our cabin is 24 by 26...larger than we originally wanted to build but the square footage min. requirements changed before we started-same with setbacks from the creek. Those went from 75 feet to 150. I agree at least the accessory building was allowed before the primary residence, so many members here can't do that.

Will your cabin be similar in looks to your storage shed? Will you have water, electricity...indoor bathroom?

LDamm
# Posted: 4 Jan 2013 14:52

Will your cabin be similar in looks to your storage shed? Will you have water, electricity...indoor bathroom?

Cabin will be sheds big sis. Hope to use the shed to pic out siding and interior wood and stains we like.
Would have had electric already but missed the deadline for winter install rates, first thing this spring. Will also try to pound a sand point the spring. Cabin will have full facilities.

trollbridge
# Posted: 4 Jan 2013 15:56

Great! I look forward to watching it all happen...I'll bet you are very excited!

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 10 Jan 2013 21:43

Hello LDAMM...we are central Wisconsin as well! Waushara County...Where is a pic of this shed you built?? TB seems to think she has seen it somewhere?? Or...maybe the drugs haven't worn off yet!

LDamm
# Posted: 11 Jan 2013 06:42

Quoting: Sustainusfarm
Where is a pic of this shed you built??

http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_2966_0.html

Hello central WI. I've been watching your project. Sure how I don't lose all my pine like you did.

rayyy
# Posted: 12 Jan 2013 14:38

Ah-know whatcha mean,Ld,I looked at dozens of potential lot's all around my area for years but each lot seamed to have a cetch.To far away or not private enough or to close to somthing like the thruway or airport.Surounded by neighbors or on a busy road.It was tough going until this lot come along.4 acres 1/2 woods,1/2 field.Has a flowing creek,is very secluded on a secondary road.Price was right.3 miles from town and work.Not that 100% perfect but still workable.The more I looked over this land,the more potential I could see.Most my friends and family thought I was nut's but now they come to visit and are just humbled and shocked.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.