Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Woodstove Install/Chimney Stack, steep metal roof and snow!
toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Jan 2010 14:24 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

OK, I have build me a nice little cabin I built last summer (this is my first ever real building project, ie pulling permit etc) . Finished the shell last fall. I'm going in the spring to do plumbing, wiring, insulation and woodstove addition. I have a steep metal roof (7.5X12 pitch) and the stove location will put the chimney stack near the lower part of the roof. I'm worried about snow sliding down and tearing the chimney away or damaging it. I know there is support legs I can add. I'm at 3,500 feet in elevation and we do get lots of snow in the winter. I'm about a 5 hour drive away, so a routine check on it isnt an option. I dont want the chimney to poke out a gable end wall, just looks ugly IMHO. So thats not an option. Any ideas? What did you guys who are in heavy snow areas do?
I will include pictures of the cabin and a artist drawing of it with the chimney in about the same place I planned on installing it. I have seen some metal roofs with a "wedge" made from roofing metal. I was thinking of making a tall wedge to mount in front of the pipe to split the snow as it slides down and deflecting it on either side. Made if this plate steel. I have all metal working equipment, ie MIG welders, chop saws etc Be nice to hear from others who ran into the scenario and was able to correct it. Thanks. Oh, the stove will be in the corner, just as you come in the door, hard left. There is also a small space between the kitchen and bathroom, the woodstove may fit there (centrally located) but the flashing may be too wide and would interfere with the ridge cap. I ws thinking if the chimney was closer to the ridge, this would not be an issue. But it may not be possible.

TMT
Front Photo
Front Photo
Side Photo (chimney view)
Side Photo (chimney view)
Cabin Drawing
Cabin Drawing
Floor Plan
Floor Plan

Moontreeranch
# Posted: 30 Jan 2010 16:42

check out this thread

http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/2_121_0.html

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Jan 2010 17:21 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Wow, perfect. I liked the "snow guard"

http://www.metalroofsnowguards.com/Vent-amp-Chimney-Guard_p_21.html

This fits the bill perfectly. Thanks.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.