Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / I think I'm gonna get a tractor
. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
bldginsp
# Posted: 12 Feb 2016 12:56

Eventually I need to get serious tractor, but for right now I think I'm going to get a Farmall Cub or Model A just for fun, and hopefully to do a little grading on the road to my cabin.

What are your tractor experiences?

I've zeroed in on the smaller Farmall models because they look cool, and because they have belly mount blades for them that can be used as a grader or mounted up front to push snow.
Farmall Model A, 1951
Farmall Model A, 1951
Farmall Cub, early 1950s
Farmall Cub, early 1950s

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 12 Feb 2016 13:26

i have a Kubota BX-1860.... high quality, but wished i had a bigger model.

For example, I picked up a big tree stump with the front end loader... and the weight of it tipped the tractor. Whoops!

Your Farmall looks like a ton of fun!!!!

Just
# Posted: 12 Feb 2016 13:34

A" A'' IS A EXCILENT TRACTOR , BUT I would go for something with a live power take off and live hydraulics [ meaning they work when the clutch is in ] and a standard 3 point hitch . much more versatile a 414 international or ford jubilee , Oliver 550 , case 430 , massy 35 ,john Deere 1010 ..

bldginsp
# Posted: 12 Feb 2016 13:37

Yeah Rich- it really pays to do your homework on choosing a tractor for serious work. These Farmall tractors won't do any of what I need except some grading and a little snow pushing. The Cub won't be much use clearing snow on 1/2 mile of road, but the A would. Eventually I want to get a 30-40 hp 4x4 hydrostatic diesel with loader and backhoe, but that's far in the future. For now, a fun toy.

Those little bx models are very limited, but a big advantage to them can be their small size. Big tractors are heavy and cumbersome, and don't maneuver well in tight spots. But those bx models are really expensive, almost as much as a larger one, so I'd think long and hard before getting one.

bldginsp
# Posted: 12 Feb 2016 14:24 - Edited by: bldginsp

Yes Just, you have a good point. I'd certainly be better off with more features like the live pto and hydraulics. Also be better off with more power and a diesel engine. While I'm at it might as well get 4x4. I'd really prefer to have a hydrostatic over a gear too. And what's a tractor without a loader? Mid mount pto is handy if you want to put a snowblower up front. So now, let's see, add this all up, I started with a 1951 Cub at $1000 and ended up with a Kubota L40 4x4 HST with loader, backhoe, box scraper, post hole digger, snow thrower and self-leveling cup holder (critical equipment for my Starbucks) at $43,000. Whoops.

I'm going back to the Cub.

No seriously I do plan to get a modern, powerful unit in a few years. The Cub is just so I can think I look good while driving it.

creeky
# Posted: 12 Feb 2016 15:26

a small tractor was all i needed. everybody says. oh, for just a few thousand more you could have got the next size up. but it was already many thousands. so. And I have never felt I had to have the bigger tractor. Though, in 5 years I've only built 1,200 feet of road. Plowed a few acres. Auged a few dozen holes. Dug a few hundred feet of 2-3' trench in heavy clay. Dug a 200 foot ditch. Carried a few hundred tonnes of materials.

when you're just using it for "camp" use. Ya, you use it daily. But it's not like you're full time/paid by the job.

and my little massey 2410 does it all. for the fel (front end loader) I got pallet forks. Almost never come off. So useful. Got the mower; the backhoe (almost never use it. Super useful when you need it, but that ain't often. probably should have skipped it); 2 furrow plow; snowblower; auger.

watch for used. you can save a bundle. paid 600 for the snowblower. and it works perfect.

real hard to find a used good quality tractor tho.

as for:

4x4: Try turning a corner on wet ground with the 4x4 off and a full loader. . Now you know why you need 4x.

Hydrostatic: so pleasant. Specially when you're going back and forth and blowing snow and ... no whiplash.

but more powerful than 23 horse. in a diesel. why?

Have fun with your Farmall A. It'll still plow and scrape. What else do you need? Okay. a FEL. but.

RedTailHawk
# Posted: 12 Feb 2016 15:49

Depending what you get, you'll want to check out these forums too:

TractorByNet
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/forum.php

Kubota Tractor forum
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/

rayyy
# Posted: 12 Feb 2016 17:34

Something with a bucket,,,I so kick my self in the azz for not going with a good tractor with a good bucket in the first place.Had a masy-fergoson To-20,,,2 ford 8N's nice tractors but no bucket and finally a little JD with bucket,brush hog,belly mower,scraper blade,diesel,hydrostat,4x4,,,,what a difference!!!Iv'e done more work with that bucket tractor than all of the other tractors combined!

Salty Craig
# Posted: 12 Feb 2016 19:26

I love my John Deere. Bought it new last year. 41 horse power.
John Deere
John Deere
Dead Deer
Dead Deer

Littlecooner
# Posted: 12 Feb 2016 20:23

I was lucky enough to grow up on a farm. My dad bought a Farmall Super C new in 1954 and we used it until 1993. I purchased a new John Deere 40 HP model 4020 that I use today. OK, you want to buy an old A or Cub, well, if that is what you want, then do it. What are you getting, a collector item and technology that is 65-75 years old. People pay and demand premium prices for the collector items. Simple fact. If you want a tractor to use, then buy either a new item or something made in the last 5-10 years. If you want a collector item, then buy a Cub or C or Super C or A and have a working collector item. It is like " I need a pick up truck" do you buy a late model with current technology or do I buy a collector item of an 1955 ford or chevy? That is what you must answer. Real people will buy a new state of the arts tractor of the horsepower that fits the needs. That is my humble opinion, O the Super C worked great and I used it from about 1960 until we sold it to a collector in 93

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 12 Feb 2016 20:45

my 1st farm tractor was a Ford 8 N gas..hated it...LOL

2nd tractor was Ford diesel compact tractor ==too small felt like a toy

3rd tractor --had it about 7 years a Massey Ferguson 35 Deluxe diesel ~~LUV it...I mow /bottom plow/harrow and use it a lot on my farm and the hunting club.
http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Massey-Ferguson_35

bldginsp
# Posted: 13 Feb 2016 07:40

Salty- how many horsepower is your dead deer? I know a live deer can mow a lot of grass, and vegetables, and flower beds.

jbos333
# Posted: 13 Feb 2016 08:11

A lot depends on what you would like to do with it.

BX/small 4wd with loader very handy for lots of things, including mowing the grass.

Bigger tractor, as mentioned, harder to maneuver in tight spots.

I personally have a 18hp 4wd tractor and a 60hp 4wd. They both have their place. Both have loaders. The smaller one is an International 234 and the bigger one is a New Holland TT60A.

Both have been great tractors. I've seen the 234 models with loader on Craig's and Ebay for $5000-6000. Less for 2wd. And the TT60A generally can be had for $15000-17000 with loader.

So, maybe a 35-40 hp 4WD with semi-ag tires would be a good compromise between the two. In my case, I couldn't find anything less than a 60 hp tractor with the loader weight capacity I was looking for.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 13 Feb 2016 08:31

bldginsp
I was around 10hp after eating a large plate full. Some jerky put me at about 12.

Salty

rmak
# Posted: 13 Feb 2016 11:18 - Edited by: rmak

Hi Bldginsp!
I've had a 1950 8N Ford for years. I'm looking at a compact John Deere at our local dealer with bucket, belly mower and brush hog. They have 72 months no interest financing, which is hard to beat. If my memory is correct it is their 2025 model. The old Ford was 20 horse. It did everything I wanted. I'm just in a place in my life where a new toy that would save my back from stress would be nice. The new tractor would be 25 horse or so. That seems like enough for what I do.

I have found some sweet deals on Craigslist for used compact tractors, but I don't like the financing options.

I'll make you a fantastic deal on my 8N.

neb
# Posted: 13 Feb 2016 15:49

I owned a model M International with bucket and 3 point. It was a great tractor really no job to big for it. I didn't pay that much for it and used it 15 years later and got 400 less then what I paid for it. It did a lot of work for 400 dollars. lol

old243
# Posted: 13 Feb 2016 17:29

I have a 3000 ford, 2 wheel drive , diesel . full cab,Front end loader, with a good dirt and snow bucket, have a tine bucket, big bale spear, fork lift . They all attach with a quick attach plate, depends what you want to do , which attachment you use. I paid 5000.00 almost 20 years ago, so it has served me well. Wouldn't want to be without , the live pto. Have brush hog, and snow blower. I think if you look around, and don't demand shine, you can probably find something that will make you happy , without breaking the bank. old243

rayyy
# Posted: 13 Feb 2016 18:19

what I've got now.
Picture0118161656_1..jpg
Picture0118161656_1..jpg

The Famous Grouse
# Posted: 13 Feb 2016 19:00

The Farmall Cub has a kind of cult following and unless you happen upon a real deal, to me they often seem overpriced for what they are. Obviously, everything depends on what you can buy it for, but I've seen Cubs go for a lot more money than newer and more capable tractors go for.

The Cub is relatively light weight and doesn't have a lot of power, so that limits what you can do and how fast you can do it. They're cute, but before you buy one think seriously about what kind of work and how much work you want to do.

Grouse

bldginsp
# Posted: 14 Feb 2016 00:20 - Edited by: bldginsp

Grouse- I agree. Tomorrow I'm going to look at a Farmall Super A, picture below. Cost the same or less than a cub, almost twice the hp, almost twice the weight. I like the looks of these tractors, but I also want to get some work done.

Rmak- beware of zero interest financing. To get it you have to pay full price for the package, no dickering. If you pay cash up front, you can dicker $1000 off the price or more. If you can't pay the whole thing up front, put down as much as you can and get the 6-7 % financing on the rest. Since that loan comes from a bank, you are paying the whole cash price for the tractor and you can dicker down the price $1000-1500. Then pay off the loan as fast as you can, so you pay a minimum of interest. You'll pay a lot less interest that way, less than the $1000-1500 you knocked off the package price.

The extra money you pay for the full price package with zero financing equals or exceeds the interest you would pay on a bank loan. As the saying goes, you pay for zero percent financing. But the Deere setup you are talking about sounds sweet indeed and I'm sure your back will thank you. One thing about Deeres. They guy who decided to paint half the tractor bright yellow should be tarred and feathered. Hurts my eyes every time I see it.
1950 Farmall Super A with sickle mower and belly blade
1950 Farmall Super A with sickle mower and belly blade
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

rmak
# Posted: 14 Feb 2016 02:42

Thanks, bldginsp. I was thinking only about what I could pay monthly in retirement. I might sell a few things and put up more of a down payment. The local hardware store that sells John Deere doesn't appear to negotiate, but I could look around.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 14 Feb 2016 08:06

Quoting: bldginsp
Farmall Super A

nice looking tractor you are getting...looks to be in good shape ..what is the story on it??...lot of history on those old tractors!!

my Uncle had one with a belly mower....and the sickle mower is nice for cutting under a barb wire fence or a sloped bank!!!

we need old old buddy or old buddy to chine it...they are into rebuilding vintage tractors!!!

Gary O
# Posted: 14 Feb 2016 08:43

I hate....you all

bldginsp
# Posted: 14 Feb 2016 10:47

Gary O- ha ha! But you don't spend much on gas, oil, filters, etc. you just gotta make a lot of hay.

Rmak- I bet they will deal if you can show cash. If not, go to another dealer- they might ship for free. And, I'm not saying zero financing is not an option, just be aware that they get their money one way or the other. I also wonder if buying from a hardware store is a good idea- just from the parts and service perspective- the guys on the tractor forums all say that choosing a dealer is as important as choosing the tractor, cause you will need service at some point.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 14 Feb 2016 10:56

Kubota h as 0% financing for up to 60 months.

A B will cost you under $17 a month per 1000K financed.

I'd probably get the B2650 with no cab. But that would be about $400 a month. Toss in a huge 10K down, good to go.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 14 Feb 2016 11:24 - Edited by: KinAlberta

He had an old Massey Harris Pony but hardly used it except for pulling logs. Eventually gave it to a local farmer who collected antique tractors.

We also have a late 70s Kubota B7100 tractor we bought new. It's been amazing. However it just has rear PTO and the belly mower is belt driven. I'd love to replace it someday with one with a roll bar and improved mower attachment. We use the front blower and the rotovator is amazing. Rarely have used the rear mount blade.

Prior to the Kubota we briefly had a regular riding mower but it couldn't handle the job and burned out after about three years. (Two to three acres of infrequently grass that could get very tall between visits, surface roots and rocks and scalping the grass/dirt just ruined the riding mower.) They might be ok for acreages where you can stay on top of mowing, but not for cabin properties where you might not mow for a month or more.

Just
# Posted: 14 Feb 2016 11:24

Getting" on and off" a A is not easy . try it with coveralls and snow boots before you buy .

cspot
# Posted: 14 Feb 2016 11:48

The old Farmalls, Fords, and Fergusons were good tractors and why so many are still in existence. For pushing snow and some light road grading they will do fine. I agree with the others that an A is alot more tractor than the cub. The C is a good one as well. I would also look at Ford 8N's or Ferguson 35 or something around there. I had a massey-ferguson 135 that was a good tractor.

One other thing you will need for snow pushing is some chains for the rear tires.

rmak
# Posted: 14 Feb 2016 12:47 - Edited by: rmak

I'm glad you gave a nod to the 8N, cspot. I've had mine for about 15 years and did a lot of work with it. I had to get some work done on the pto and some head work, but it's a trooper. I often wonder how many modern tractors will be around and functioning in 66 years. You can buy all the parts on ebay (probably made in Asia though).

My biggest issue now is fighting to get the brush hog lined up and attached with my arthritis and bad back. I looked at buckets for the 8N, but I feel it would be the same struggles hooking up and taking off. That's why a new tractor with fast and clean hookups is so appealing for me.

Any comparisons with Kubota and Deere? I think they both have Asian diesels. Why would someone choose one over the other?

Not trying to hijack the thread. Just interested in opinions since I'm looking too.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 14 Feb 2016 13:31

Gary O

Lol

Shave the moustache and you would pass for Amish!!

. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.