Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / I think I'm gonna get a tractor
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Just
# Posted: 14 Feb 2016 13:40

Traded my 8N for a Kubota B7100 4wd HST IN 1980,, still have it, great little tractor , could use power steering , only thing I would change It has over 5000 hours on it now . We farm for a living so we have lots of tractors ,they all have their good and bad points .

bldginsp
# Posted: 14 Feb 2016 21:17 - Edited by: bldginsp

Not many reasons to choose Deere over Kubota or vice versa, from what I can see. They are both the most expensive of small tractors and have the best reputations. But it seems these days all the Japanese and South Korean tractors are well made and reliable. The only ones that aren't are Chinese tractors and Belarus. So it seems that you can get a good S Korean tractor like LS, Kioti, Branson, or a Mahindra (Mitsubishi engine) for a lot less than a Deere or Kubota. Resale on D and K is better, parts more expensive. I think a lot of it is what dealers are near you for parts and service. I'm considering Mahindra or Branson just because there is a dealer of those close by.

Deere are Yanmar, Kubota makes their own but I think some of it comes from S Korea.

Grey market tractors have a bad reputation and some deserve it, but I would consider a grey market Yanmar rebuilt by Frederick's of Alabama. DONT get a rebuilt grey from Vietnam, I've always been told. They do a lousy job. Frederick's has an excellent reputation for superior rebuilding.

In Japan the farmers are encouraged, if not forced, by tax advantages, to buy new tractors even when they don't need them. Many Japanese farmers only need and use their tractor for a few weeks a year to cultivate before planting rice, so many farmers have 20-30 year old Yanmars that have not been excessively used when they trade them in for a new one. The old ones get shipped to rebuild shops in Vietnam or the US where repair is done. The Vietnamese shops do a hack job with mismatched parts, poor engine repair, etc. But it looks like Frederick's does a high quality job. The end result is a very well made tractor in like new condition for far less than a new one. No hydrostatic transmissions, but they do have shuttle shift.

The big Japanese makers like Kubota and Yanmar tried to discourage this practice because they felt it undercut their sales. So the told their US dealers that if they serviced grey tractors, the dealer risked having his franchise license pulled by the manufacturer. But these attitudes seem to be softening. Yanmar is selling under their brand again in the US and they want to sell parts for any Yanmar. Don't know what Kubota's attitude is now.

I will consider a Frederick's Yanmar when the time comes, but I have two major reservations- no hydrostatic and no frame mounted backhoes. They have 3 point hitches, but a 3 point attachment to a backhoe is weak and you can tweak stuff. You want that hoe solid on the frame.

Oh, and today I bought the 1950 Farmall Super A for $1500. Runs like a champ after 66 years. And yes, it is hard to get in and out of. Sickle mower is bizarre- like some nightmareish midaeval torture implement for indigenous vegetation.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 14 Feb 2016 21:53

bldginsp

My family owns an Ag equipment dealership. I worked there for years. You my friend, understand the grey tractor market. Thanks for sharing such wisdom. I didn't think anyone understood it like my dad.

Another point, many have metric tires that can be a challenge to find at a local tire store. Also, cross referencing part number can be a pain.

Salty

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 14 Feb 2016 22:11

Quoting: Salty Craig
Gary O

Lol

Shave the moustache and you would pass for Amish!!

And for crying out loud, feed the poor animal pulling the plow. He is skin and bones.

bldginsp
# Posted: 14 Feb 2016 22:14

Looks to me like Gary is pushing the cow, rather than vice versa

Gary O
# Posted: 14 Feb 2016 23:10

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
And for crying out loud, feed the poor animal pulling the plow. He is skin and bones.

Just bones now.
A bit stringy, but the rice was good.
Gettin' a tractor

cspot
# Posted: 15 Feb 2016 19:25 - Edited by: cspot

Quoting: bldginsp
Oh, and today I bought the 1950 Farmall Super A for $1500. Runs like a champ after 66 years. And yes, it is hard to get in and out of. Sickle mower is bizarre- like some nightmareish midaeval torture implement for indigenous vegetation.

$1,500 is a good deal with the implements. You should be able to get your money back out of it in a few years if you decide to get rid of it.

bldginsp
# Posted: 15 Feb 2016 21:13

cspot- I have been keeping an eye on Craigslist and when this popped up I figured I should jump on it. Though several of the tires are shot, the rest seems in decent shape and I was surprised at how complete it is- original headlights, gauges, switches, seat etc. all there. Front grill is mostly straight- you know how those get twisted up. Should be a good runner and move some gravel on my road.

ClimberKev
# Posted: 17 Feb 2016 16:57

I've done my best to kill this 1958 Massey Work Bull 202. Leveled several roads, cabin area, and pole shed site. I only wish it had quick connect hydraulics and 4 wheel drive. I use a scraper plow for snow which can be a bit of a challenge when it gets deep. It also came with a Woods finish mower. Easy to fix and parts are available.
82813_016.jpg
82813_016.jpg

creeky
# Posted: 17 Feb 2016 18:19

You scored with the sickle mower. Man, it's one tool that I totally don't need but that I would like to have for my tractor. Even if it's just for the sound; it's worth it.

I think you got a pretty good deal there. maybe you can find a non-runner with good tires.

bldginsp
# Posted: 18 Feb 2016 18:18

The sickle mower is kind of interesting. It has a flywheel/ connecting rod setup that makes the blade reciprocate. The blade is 7-8 feet long and looks scary. The whole thing is very well made and engineered with robust castings, connectors adjustments. I'm sure it would cut a lot of weeds- but on my 5 acres of forest there are no large areas of weeds to cut. I'll keep it just cause it is intriguing.

And it does make a neat noise- a kind of soft, continual scissors action. The seller said it puts him to sleep.

Mountain Madness
# Posted: 23 Feb 2016 17:20

Skid Steer's are handy. You can make a lot of cool attachments at home.
Coupled with a D4 Cat there isn't much you can't do. "Especially for snow".

I have a 7U Cat that has been instrumental in my projects and cabin building.

Next to a skid steer .

I would think a back hoe would be the most universal machine you could buy.

Whatever you get build or buy ROP.

cspot
# Posted: 23 Feb 2016 18:37

bldginsp,

Get a chance to put some hours on the tractor?

smilie59
# Posted: 23 Feb 2016 22:42

Rayyy...what year and model is your John Deere??

bldginsp
# Posted: 24 Feb 2016 09:05

cspot- not yet, it's being delivered by a trucker next week. First thing I have to do is change all the fluids, etc. then I'll take it out on the gravel road and see how much gravel it can move.

I'm happy with what I got because it has the grader blade, but now I'm finding out that it may be pretty hard to find other implements. I'd like to put another blade up front to push snow, and have a box blade on the rear with rippers to loosen gravel before grading it.

Before all the tractor manufacturers started using the universal 3 point attachment system, each manufacturer had their own system. Problem with that is you can only use their implements. So to put a box blade on the back of this tractor I have to find the hitch system and the box blade. So that's the down side of buying a 65 year old $1500 tractor, even though it's in good running condition.

For anyone considering getting a tractor- remember- look at implements first, then get the tractor that will operate the implements.

cspot
# Posted: 24 Feb 2016 19:14

They do make an aftermarket adapter to convert it to 3 point hitch. Still a fair amount of implements out there that fit them as well. Downside is you have to catch them on Craigslist when you do. Fortunately since you do have a blade you do have some time to look for a deal.

If you get a box blade, you won't need anything else for the driveway. I have a 60 HP tractor with a front loader and the only thing I use to straighten up the driveway is the box blade. I don't use the rippers for it as simply using the box blade it will grade it up. The only time when I have used the rippers is to loosen up dirt.

The grader blade you have will work ok for snow provided you don't get a large amount. You should look into getting chains for the rear tires as well.

bldginsp
# Posted: 24 Feb 2016 20:32

Yes chains are high on the list for doing snow removal. Hope I can get a front mount blade to make snow removal easier. Maybe it's easier to switch the blade from middle to front than I think. I'll scour craigslist for whatever I can find.

I've heard that it's not easy to get a smooth result with road grading with a box blade. It's not really a grading tool, but a dirt mover. But I've read that with skill and attention you can do a good job with a box blade. The center mount blade is ideal- it cuts high spots and fills low spots like a larger grader, but not on the larger scale. Perhaps the center blade will prove to be the best finishing tool, and a box blade the rough mover.

I was thinking of rippers to loosen gravel on the edge of the road and then use the center blade to move it toward the center of the road to put a crown on the profile. Box blade could do it as well.

cspot
# Posted: 25 Feb 2016 16:44

The box blade is a really great grading tool. The "box" keeps material in it and fills in potholes and lowspots. It also keeps stone from going out around the blade. The one thing it wouldn't do is give you a crown in the middle or at least not very easily. You could use the middle blade for that. I would smooth with the box blade and then use your middle blade to put in your crown.

With a little bit of fooling around with it you will be able to get it done. Like you said it isn't a large grader so it will take some time. That being said that is part of the fun.

bldginsp
# Posted: 26 Feb 2016 14:53

Reality is I just want to drive a tractor while looking like I'm accomplishing something.

cspot
# Posted: 26 Feb 2016 19:24

Reality is I just want to drive a tractor while looking like I'm accomplishing something.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 27 Feb 2016 10:10

Men are all alike when it comes to "power tools". Its a good sign your testosterone production is still to the good bldg insp.

I told the wife i need one too. Probably end up with a Kubota 25HP, I told her I will just dig a hole, move dirt, when done, move dirt back into hole. Or move said dirt to a different hole. Play musical dirt holes. I will have loads of things i could use this tractor for on my 40 acre timber farm.

bldginsp
# Posted: 27 Feb 2016 14:37

Only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

Eventually I plan to get a larger tractor with loader and backhoe etc, but I was surprised how inexpensive these older tractors are, in running condition, and this one will do what I need for the moment. But it is starting to add up a bit

$1500 tractor
750 hauling
200 replace all fluids
300 rear lifter for hitch
450 aftermarket 3pt hitch
750 front mount blade
15 self leveling cup holder (critical equipment)

Adds up to close to $4000

Well, I'm having fun.

rmak
# Posted: 28 Feb 2016 17:05

15 self leveling cup holder (critical equipment)

One thing I'm not going to miss on my old Ford tractor is there are no safety features. I like my new riding lawn mower at our house because it shuts off when I become absent minded or do something stupid.

I've actually had to chase my tractor down after accidently slipping it in gear when I was working on it while it was running. These old machines are not forgiving and you have to be aware all the time. Tipping over on a hill, throwing yourself off when a rear tire goes into a groundhog hole, etc. could have dire consequences.

Lot of guys have maimed themselves and worse over the years around here with farm equipment. Our neighbor, a lifelong farmer, killed himself with a combine about 20 years ago.

bldginsp
# Posted: 28 Feb 2016 22:40

Wise words rmak. Here are a couple unpleasant reminders of what can happen:

-The pto shaft on the back of the tractor powers mowers and other tools with an exposed extension shaft on U-joints. People have gotten a loose sleeve caught in the spinning shaft, which pulled their arm around the spinning shaft, which pulled them in at 540 rpm.

-Story I heard locally was that an operator was mowing the median strip on a highway when the rollbar on the tractor hit a utility pole support wire, causing the tractor to flip up, dropping the operator into the spinning jackshaft behind.

And you hear about lifelong experienced farmers who didn't return for dinner, they found them with their tractor killed one way or the other.

Ouch.

Gary O
# Posted: 29 Feb 2016 08:52 - Edited by: Gary O

And you hear about lifelong experienced farmers who didn't return for dinner, they found them with their tractor killed one way or the other.

I know what you guys are sayin', but I do believe we've become a bit safety nuts.
Yeah, tractors have been killers, I know of an ol' boy that ain't no more, prolly everbody does, but seems the accidents were brought on by extreme not thinking.

Ya just don't get a wakeup call when operating some things.
Our fathers used to teach us this stuff;
'You do this and you'll die.'
'You don't do this and you'll die.'
'You do that again, I'll kill ya myself.'

Heh, my gas can has a 'NOT FOR STARTING FIRES' emblazoned on the side.
So-o-o-o, as I commenced to clip off that insipid screw cap lock notch, I had a little chat with it about it's intended main vocation.

Anyway, when a device like, saaaay a PTO is employed, the phrase 'Power Take Off' should be warning enough...you'd think.

I wouldn't be surprised if one day soon a warning will be on every shoe;
CAUTION! SHOES HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO LEAD YOU INTO DANGER!..LIKE WEDDING AISLES!!!!!!!! ....maybe a little alarm giving off a (precursor) whining noise when you near a church should be installed....

Anyway, y'all be careful, and be sure to read every warning label.
They.....are.....hilarious!
Careful with that too, could die laughing.

...and now back to our regular programming

rmak
# Posted: 29 Feb 2016 23:02 - Edited by: rmak

Yeah I hear you Gary.

I just seem more accident prone as I get older. I used to race motorcycles and do all kinds of crazy stuff without a care or a second thought. I don't think I'm as sharp and focused as I used to be. I have lapses. Also, I'm not as strong, agile and fast enough anymore to pull myself out of a jam like I used to be.

I don't heal as fast now when I injure myself. I broke my wrist four years ago when I slipped on the ice walking over to get a shovel. It's never really healed. It's the first break I had like that. I have enough pain from abusing my body all these years. I don't need any new pain added. I know guys on constant morphine drips because of accidents. I don't feature living that way with my remaining years.

I know you were being light hearted, so I apologize for my serious answer. More than ever I appreciate the guards on my chain saw, table saw and mower. I'll be looking for what safety feature that come with a newer tractor when I'm ready to buy.

Gary O
# Posted: 1 Mar 2016 00:43

Quoting: rmak
More than ever I appreciate the guards on my chain saw, table saw and mower. I'll be looking for what safety feature that come with a newer tractor when I'm ready to buy.

Oh I know.
Just an opportunity rant.

Some things, like tractors, saws, just can't have enough safety features.

I hurt too, man.
What I have found, is the older I get, the worse I feel, the more careful I am.
I no longer grab sumpm and wail away.

Truly

Y'all be careful

bldginsp
# Posted: 1 Mar 2016 07:50

As I get older, OUCH comes easier and hurts more.

bldginsp
# Posted: 7 Mar 2016 22:48 - Edited by: bldginsp

Well I got the tractor delivered and tore into it. Previous owner maintained it when he used it, but he stopped using it ten years ago when he got a Kubota, so it needed all the fluids changed. It was pretty clean inside, not bad at all, I think I got lucky. Here's a few pics;

I took it out on the gravel road once the fluids were changed and tried to move some of the loose gravel from the edge of the road to the center. It will grab loose gravel and move it, but isn't much at chopping up compacted gravel.

Haven't had this much fun since I used to mess with motorcycles
Engine close up
Engine close up
Blade set at skew
Blade set at skew
Carburetor side
Carburetor side
All put together
All put together

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 8 Mar 2016 07:15 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

fine looking FARMall....I always liked the little red tractor...my uncle had one ....and had a several acre garden...it was a rocky clay hillside ..but lots of fine veggies were grown with use of the Farmall....he made several attachments for his back in the day...enjoy you new tractor...be SAFE!!

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.