Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Building issues
<< . 1 . 2 .
Rickson2
# Posted: 13 Apr 2016 07:24

And to Julie2Oregon....yeah, our government can levy some hefty fines if they really want. I don't assume a person would be given that fine on a first offense. Maybe even a warning. I don't know. But that is legally what they are allowed to hand out. Yes it is crazy.

bushbunkie
# Posted: 13 Apr 2016 19:17

Hi Rickson,
If you put up a 100 sq ft Bunkie, would they be able to see it from the road?? We lamented about the same fears for a year then just decided to do it (build the Bunkie). I didn't advertise it, but when my neighbour asked, I was honest about it, but also made it clear that we are here to stay and this is just to get us started. A couple other neighbours found out and didn't care either...they would rather have nice responsible quiet neighbours who are investing in their local hardware stores!
You will also realize that most municipal bylaw officers only go looking if someone lodges a complaint...then they must act on the bylaw.
My wife and I decided that we would spend the $$ on the Bunkie, knowing there could come a time when we could be forced to move it...we just reconciled this as a risk worth taking and worst case scenario...have to get it put on a flatbed and move it. In that case, I would have sold it and still made most of my money back. Once we came to this point, I could relax and left it in the big guy's hands.

bushbunkie
# Posted: 13 Apr 2016 19:22

and another thing...I drove by the land I had previously owned around Balsam Lake (Lindsay) a few years back, with the same building restrictions...the guy who bought it not only put up a Bunkie...but had a pond dug out in front of it!!!! ...and everything seems to be cool.

Rickson2
# Posted: 13 Apr 2016 20:13

Hey Bushbunkie. That sounds like what I sort of thought would happen...a neighbour complaining. It was just the fact that I have been in email communication with building inspectors secretary I assume and have asked a lot of questions. Then when I saw the max fine upon conviction is $25,000....well that put the fear of god into me (even though one should not fear a god...ha...that's a whole other topic). But yeah, they have all of my emails and I couldn't claim ignorance to the law at this point - not that ignorance ever gets you out of a legal situation anyway. All I want is to park my 24Ft trailer several weekends during the summer. But they explicitly state that is an infraction of the bylaw. Stupid as far as I'm concerned...but I don't want a fine levied against me at the same time if you know what I mean.

Rickson2
# Posted: 13 Apr 2016 20:14

I definitely should talk to the Bldg Inspector face to face i think

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.