Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / My Barkon Log Cabin ....i have no draw in my woodstove ..help Please
. 1 . 2 . >>
TheRealNorthernOutdoorsman
# Posted: 8 Oct 2020 21:40

My 9x9 Barkon Log Cabin ....i have no draw in my woodstove and its starting to get cold
Can I get some help please???

Fanman
# Posted: 8 Oct 2020 21:54

Describe the stove and the piping.

ICC
# Posted: 8 Oct 2020 22:07

Did it ever work? If so, when was it cleaned last?

Re Fanman's response, when you answer include pipe size out of the stove and up as well as what size pipe is recommended by the stove manufacturer, number of bends or directional changes, height above roof ridge, etc, etc. The user manual will usually list recommended pipe size as well as the maximum length of single wall pipe.

Brettny
# Posted: 9 Oct 2020 06:14

Some stoves or chimney pipes really benefit from rolling up a few news papers, lighting one end and sticking it up in the chimney opening in the stove. This works for a cold start.

If your not getting a draft when it's all hot you may have a clogged chimney or cap or the building may be to small or sealed to well.

Bruces
# Posted: 9 Oct 2020 08:18

At less than 90sq ft. almost every wood stove will be too big ,hopefully you have a cubic mini or something like that .

# Posted: 9 Oct 2020 08:37 - Edited by: TheRealNorthernOutdoorsman

So it feels sealed to well...it feels like even with the window and wall vent open that not much air flows threw the cabin...its the 6 inch pipe recommended...its 3.5 feet past the peek...ive tried newspaper to heat it...I cut all the small trees down within 12 ft....next I wa thinking about cutting a vent in the floor for some airflow up as the cabin sits on bloxs
I also wondered about the stove being too big but I've seen pretty big stone fireplaces in these size structures and they burned fine
....this is where I'm at

Bruces
# Posted: 9 Oct 2020 08:56

What stove do you have ?

FishHog
# Posted: 9 Oct 2020 09:05

Open you cabin door and light it. If it works much better then you need an air vent to the stove. If not it’s a stove pipe issue

Pictures would help

# Posted: 9 Oct 2020 14:10

Its a Regency

# Posted: 9 Oct 2020 14:15 - Edited by: TheRealNorthernOutdoorsman

Here's a couple pics
20201009_142757.jpg
20201009_142757.jpg

# Posted: 9 Oct 2020 14:17 - Edited by: TheRealNorthernOutdoorsman

Another pic
20201009_142502.jpg
20201009_142502.jpg

# Posted: 9 Oct 2020 14:20 - Edited by: TheRealNorthernOutdoorsman

Another pic
20201009_142449.jpg
20201009_142449.jpg

# Posted: 9 Oct 2020 14:32 - Edited by: TheRealNorthernOutdoorsman

The pipe is clear...no blockage...its all bran new

...if I hold burning newspaper up the chimney it has a bit of a draw...when I pull it back into the stove it burns but all the smoke comes into the cabin....playing with the damper and adjusting the opening of the stove door doesn't help

DaveBell
# Posted: 9 Oct 2020 17:21

I'm thinking the cold pipe and cold air and length of pipe and single wall pipe are too much to overcome to get a draw going.

DaveBell
# Posted: 9 Oct 2020 17:25

https://fireplaceuniverse.com/why-wood-stove-not-drawing/

Fanman
# Posted: 9 Oct 2020 17:53

Yes, the black pipe outside may well be the problem, it cools too fast. Black pipe should only ever be used inside, it should transition to insulated chimney pipe before it passes through the roof.

ICC
# Posted: 9 Oct 2020 19:00

Quoting: Fanman
Yes, the black pipe outside may well be the problem,

Yes, that is likely making this installation not work well. Single wall is also dangerous if it was used to penetrate the roof. Do the install right and it should work right.

# Posted: 9 Oct 2020 21:52

I'm not looking to get a roaring fire going...its just a hunting cabin to get the cold off us for a bit....i couldn't find a smaller stove in my situation...I was thinking of filling the inside walls with firebrick to make the space smaller ..enough room for a small fire to get the chill off for a few hours.

I don't have access to the proper supplies either ...im kinda limited 😕

ICC
# Posted: 9 Oct 2020 23:10

Adding firebrick inside may help but will also likely make it longer before the stove starts to give heat off to the inside of the cabin. It will then also hold heat and give it off longer after the fire dies down. Could be a mixed blessing.

# Posted: 9 Oct 2020 23:54

Thanxs ICC.....you give me hope!

DaveBell
# Posted: 10 Oct 2020 00:06

Do this. Buy MAPP gas torch like this and pre-heat your pipe on the inside for 20 minutes, then try to start a fire. You may need to replace you pipe with double wall, and move the stove to the high side of the roof.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/tools/welding-and-soldering-tools/welding-acc essories/2197408?store=09745&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0u6Q-JGp7AIVCZ2zCh2StwAqEAYYASABEgKXbv D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

DaveBell
# Posted: 10 Oct 2020 00:08 - Edited by: DaveBell

The torch has a hold on function so you don't have to hold it. Stand it up on the inside and let it get a draft going. Not the blue bottle, the yellow bottle. MAPP gas burns hotter than the blue bottle gas.

DaveBell
# Posted: 10 Oct 2020 00:18

If this works, then you still have a problem that can kill you. In the early hours of the morning when the wood has burned down, the cold will overcome the heat and reverse the flow, putting carbon monoxide into the inside air. That's why we use double wall pipe. The warm insulated pipe keeps the draft flowing out. The fire brick will also help, creating a heat mass and giving your stove longer life.. You should ask us for design review before just winging it.

darz5150
# Posted: 10 Oct 2020 00:23

Black pipe has been around and used for probably a hundred years before double wall pipe. I have all single wall pipe through a wall thimble, 2-90 degree elbows, with a total run of about 15 feet or more. No problems, and have never had to replace 1 piece for 9 years.
Heat rises. If you can't get the heat to rise from the stove up a straight pipe. I would think the problem is with the wood stove. Too air tight maybe?
Quoting: ICC

Adding firebrick inside may help but will also likely make it longer before the stove starts to give heat off to the inside of the cabin

Without a fire, fire bricks are just bricks in your stove.

Brettny
# Posted: 10 Oct 2020 06:44

You need to light the news paper and leave it burning up in the chimney hole. What's happening is your chimney is cold and cold air sinks. You need to raise the temp I side the chimney enough to make hot air rise.

DaveBell
# Posted: 10 Oct 2020 23:51

Darz, he is in Canada and you are in the Midwest U.S.
A lot of temperature difference.

ICC
# Posted: 11 Oct 2020 00:27

Quoting: darz5150
Without a fire, fire bricks are just bricks in your stove

Yes. Agreed. How true that is.

After a fire is started though, those extra bricks have to heat up before the stove metal warms and begins to radiate heat into the room. So it will take longer to get the interior warmed. Additionally, once the metal and brick mass is heated, the greater mass will continue to radiate that stored heat for a longer time. Small spaces can be difficult to moderate heat from a wood stove at the best of times. More hot mass may make it worse. Or if the fire size can be controlled the extra mass may be beneficial. Hard to say. Something to think about.

darz5150
# Posted: 11 Oct 2020 00:43

Quoting: DaveBell
Darz, he is in Canada and you are in the Midwest U.S.
A lot of temperature difference.
Quoting: ICC
Yes. Agreed. How true that is.

After a fire is started though, those extra bricks have to heat up before the stove metal warms and begins to radiate heat into the room. So it will take longer to get the interior warmed. Additionally, once the metal and brick mass is heated, the greater mass will continue to radiate that stored heat for a longer time. Small spaces can be difficult to moderate heat from a wood stove at the best of times. More hot mass may make it worse. Or if the fire size can be controlled the extra mass may be beneficial. Hard to say. Something to think about.

I agree on both posts.
My point is if you have a clean straight stove pipe, and can't get the smoke out, there probably isn't a problem with the pipe.

Firemike
# Posted: 11 Oct 2020 11:57

Just for fun, take the chimney cap off and try it without a cap. Hard to tell from the picture but everything else looks right, the cap looks a little odd from what I can see in the photo, the design might not be allowing enough draft, especially if there is no breeze blowing.

Love the cabin by the way...

DaveBell
# Posted: 11 Oct 2020 16:21

Above the logs and the ceiling not insulated.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.