Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Lumber Prices Article
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
paulz
# Posted: 25 Feb 2021 09:24

Builders also use metal studs now right? Are there alternatives to plywood sheathing?

snobdds
# Posted: 25 Feb 2021 11:02

Quoting: paulz
Builders also use metal studs now right? Are there alternatives to plywood sheathing?

Denseglass sheathing.

But last I looked, it's within a few dollars of wood sheeting.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 25 Feb 2021 12:32

My cabin on a mountain is surrounded by Amish. My Amish are into wood. They either cut down tree, mill wood or build with wood. They aren't aware of price increase.

The last load I pick up from my closest sawmill (and there's a few to choose from) I tipped the guy. He thought I was crazy and try to give me the money back.

Amish lumber tends to be green so you have to account for that in construction or stick and stack it for a while. Board and batten is what the Amish do mostly as far as structures. Amish lumber isn't engineer stamped so you take your chances using it for any work that needs to be to code. But I find it to be good wood. Mostly Douglass fir, maple and oak by me.

NorthRick
# Posted: 25 Feb 2021 13:50

Holy moly! I knew prices have gone up but last weekend was the first time in a while that I actually bought some.

$8.50 for an eight-foot 2x4!

paulz
# Posted: 25 Feb 2021 13:53

Yipes! $36 for 1/2 plywood. Fortunately I have a lot of lumber rat holed, and probly fire up the mill in a few months.

lburners
# Posted: 25 Feb 2021 18:49

I just bit the bullet and bought 15 sheets so it should go down now

Curly
# Posted: 25 Feb 2021 22:25

The high price of lumber has me considering tearing down my cabin and selling the parts for big bucks!

snobdds
# Posted: 26 Feb 2021 00:38

Interesting article about lumber prices...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/lumber-prices-are-soaring-tree-growers-miserable-1161417 7282

ICC
# Posted: 26 Feb 2021 09:16

WSJ paywall

snobdds
# Posted: 26 Feb 2021 10:21 - Edited by: snobdds

I forget that the WSJ does that...

In summary.

The landowners supplying the trees are not seeing a price increase for their raw material. In fact, they say there is such a glut of trees wanting to come to market, mills have their choice of buying only the cheapest, which drives down the price.

The mills, they say, are the ones reaping the economic windfall of the price increase. Profits in corporate mills are at all time highs, despite the smaller capacity due to a lot of mill fires lately.

Transportation companies are also reaping a large windfall with the huge demand in lumber since COVID started.

End retail sellers have kept their margins on wood relevantly the same.

This high priced wood is now starting to affect home starts and remodels. The experts thought interest rates would be the catalyst to disrupt the housing and selling boom. However, it might be the one thing no one saw coming...high lumber prices.

They see the high prices well into the 3rd quarter of 2021. It's going to be a hard summer to build cabins.

ICC
# Posted: 26 Feb 2021 11:19

Quoting: snobdds
The landowners supplying the trees are not seeing a price increase for their raw material. In fact, they say there is such a glut of trees wanting to come to market, mills have their choice of buying only the cheapest, which drives down the price.

Too many trees planted in response to tariffs on Canadian lumber???

paulz
# Posted: 26 Feb 2021 19:12

Quoting: lburners

I just bit the bullet and bought 15 sheets so it should go down now

Atta Boy! Support the economic recovery.

Today I used up 90bf of the free 2x12 I got last year, building a solar panel platform. And I have leftover redwood deck boards for the top. Hope those solar panels enjoy living in the lap of luxury. Better put out..
Screenshot_2021022.png
Screenshot_2021022.png

lburners
# Posted: 26 Feb 2021 19:36

Bring those suckers to the East coast and I will buy them too.

pauld8511
# Posted: 4 Mar 2021 20:40

These prices have got my juices going! Going to have to get creative. My cabin was going to be 400 square feet, now it will be 14 x 16, 224 square feet. And I have eliminated the wood floor, no, not a slab of cement.

I plan to leave a 8 foot wide opening, removable in the future for an adadditional Room.

lburners
# Posted: 4 Mar 2021 20:51

I mentioned it in another thread but maybe look into rough cut.

snobdds
# Posted: 5 Mar 2021 12:54

I would rather wait until prices normalize rather than sacrifice what I want.

gcrank1
# Posted: 5 Mar 2021 20:36 - Edited by: gcrank1

If you put up a 'pavilion' now you can add studs and enclose the walls later Just think of it as a glass cabin with a great 360Deg view but without glass.

DaveBell
# Posted: 27 Apr 2021 06:06

Softwood Lumber Market Update: Mar 2021 Madison's Lumber Reporter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSDRgwvfcYs

spencerin
# Posted: 27 Apr 2021 22:56

Do any of you, when you go into the stores, actually see any lumber out of stock? My visits are occasional and limited to 2 stores, but when I go, they're stocked from floor to ceiling.....

Curly
# Posted: 27 Apr 2021 23:46

I wonder what the price of plywood will be if we have a bad hurricane season this summer? Never mind, I don't want to know.

NorthRick
# Posted: 27 Apr 2021 23:48

Quoting: spencerin
Do any of you, when you go into the stores, actually see any lumber out of stock? My visits are occasional and limited to 2 stores, but when I go, they're stocked from floor to ceiling.....

I haven't had too much trouble getting what I wanted. But, I've paid for it. Not lumber, but out of 4 Lowes stores in our area, only one had the RockWool insulation I wanted. The rest were out of stock.

I friend was helping his parents build a new deck last summer and couldn't get the pressure treated lumber they needed on the first try.

jsahara24
# Posted: 28 Apr 2021 08:39

Quoting: spencerin

Last year we couldn't get PT lumber, but now it seems lumber is well stocked around my place in PA.

I was originally thinking that since supply appears to be increasing, hopefully prices will be dropping. Then I was wondering if what is actually happening is demand is decreasing due to price increases..... Regardless I paid 45$/sheet of 7/16 OSB....good times...

DaveBell
# Posted: 6 May 2021 08:04

https://www.vox.com/22410713/lumber-prices-shortage?utm_source=pocket-newtab

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 7 May 2021 17:55

I just saw this and thought that you guys would appreciate it...
Pic
Pic

paulz
# Posted: 7 May 2021 18:21

Lol!

$60 for 1/2" sheathing today at HD!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 7 May 2021 20:23

Quoting: paulz
Lol!

$60 for 1/2" sheathing today at HD!

I'll bet it wasnt even 1/2" but 15/32nds.
Which makes it even worse.

gcrank1
# Posted: 11 May 2021 11:56

Called my local lumber yard yesterday to check on Pressure Treated:
2x4x8' $11.18@, ONE available
2x8x8' $17.53
2x8x10' $22.89
5/4x6x8' $13.18
The 300sq.ft. L shaped deck around 2 sides of the cabin that we had planned to start this week is now not happening. Our 'deck' chairs, etc. will become the old style 'lawn' chairs.
We are going to put in a couple of nice big slider windows we bought last fall from the ReStore cheap. I will need some dimensional lumber but not so much.
I have decided that we are not going to contribute to this robbery any more than we have to.

paulz
# Posted: 19 May 2021 21:58

Friend gave me these 6x6 PTs today, little over 4' of good wood. I was going to cut them in half and make some dirt steps up to my storage shed but now I'm hesitant to cut 'em!
20210519_135539.jpg
20210519_135539.jpg

ICC
# Posted: 19 May 2021 22:20

Hmmmm. How long were the ends in the ground? I removed 6 - PT 4x4 the other day that I had set in the ground in the late 1980's. You can tell the ends had been buried but the wood is still solid enough for re-use.

paulz
# Posted: 19 May 2021 23:45

Don't know, they were there when he bought the house a decade ago. I cut the end off one just past the rot, good as new.

He also has a bunch of 2x12 PT, the retaining wall itself, that's too rotted to use. Told me the dump won't even take PT. Doesn't know what to do with it.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.