Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Metal roof ventilation
<< . 1 . 2 .
ICC
# Posted: 21 Jun 2021 16:20

Quoting: Brettny
Even a shed with walls wouldnt condense

Unlikely but not guaranteed. It seems to me that paulz reported lots of condensation inside his shop once when he returned after being absent a while. I believe it is metal roofed w/o sheathing and underlayment and was not heated in any manner. I don't recall all the details, though.

paulz
# Posted: 21 Jun 2021 17:45 - Edited by: paulz

Yes that did happen (good memory!) but the shop has a 5/8 plywood roof that only had plastic sheeting on top then. Only happened that one time. I have a 20 mil membrane up there now.

I had a wood/shingle shed at my old house with a bunch of motorcycles inside. They used to get wet sometimes. As I remember it had something to do with the morning sun heating and the dew point.. never been able to understand how that works.

Brettny
# Posted: 22 Jun 2021 06:09

Quoting: ICC
Unlikely but not guaranteed. It seems to me that paulz reported lots of condensation inside his shop once when he returned after being absent a while. I believe it is metal roofed w/o sheathing and underlayment and was not heated in any manner. I don't recall all the details, though.

I believe paul had an issue with the things in the building and condensation not the actual roof.

I even get things in my garage to condense when it's cold in the building and warm/humid outside and I leave the door open.

paulz
# Posted: 22 Jun 2021 10:47

Yes that's correct Brett, at my old house shed when I opened the doors in the morning it is when I got the wet motorcycles.

And the one time at the new shop I had opened the doors without looking inside, gone up to the cabin and come back to find the condensation on the stuff inside.

I have a metal roof shed now, one of those Tuff Sheds a friend gave me, was in the way of his addition. 8x20. I took it apart, flopped it on a trailer and brought it out here, probably 5 years ago. Amazingly, it is in the darkest, wettest area and it's always bone dry inside. The panels are screwed right into the rafters, no perlins, the panels are sideways.
0404171255.jpg
0404171255.jpg

rpe
# Posted: 22 Jun 2021 17:42

Paul, that is either one huge tree, or one tiny shed!

paulz
# Posted: 22 Jun 2021 20:54

Lol, well that's a 50 gallon drum sitting there..

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.