Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / 16g nailer for siding?
<< . 1 . 2 .
ICC
# Posted: 24 Dec 2021 14:46

Jackpot! Another. Same wall a couple of months later.
Still tight felt, no tears, etc.
Still tight felt, no tears, etc.

Brettny
# Posted: 24 Dec 2021 19:57

That's possibly the nicest tar paper job on a wall I have ever seen. Even used cap staples too. Did he do that with a gun?

ICC
# Posted: 24 Dec 2021 20:25

He did it with a claw hammer. Those are ring shank roofing nails with plastic caps. We bought them in 50 lb. boxes.

He did have his wife help with holding the strips. They unrolled and cut lengths to go down the side. Then each held an end up, he nailed a wood disk with a single nail in his top corner. Somehow. I don't recall the details. Then the other end was temp nailed to get the height of the strip set. Pushing, pulling it tight he worked from his end to her end. That was more or less what I recall being told. Nine foot OSB panels from top plate down over the rim joists. That is why there is a narrow strip down the length. 30 foot wall length.

It is one of the nicest paper jobs to be seen, all the more because he was a DIY homeowner who never worked in the building trades. However, that is pretty much what my brother and I would do regularly, but we did it with a 3 to 4 man crew.

ICC
# Posted: 24 Dec 2021 20:42

It was also a windless day I believe. About 2 months exposure between first felt installed and when the siding was started. He used true rough sawn 1x3 air dried pine from the Pueblo sawmill for vertical furring and nailed Hardie cement fiber 12" lap siding to that. 2008 was the year. Amazing that I found the pictures still on my phone but I do transfer everything from old to new when I switch phones.

lburners
# Posted: 24 Dec 2021 21:00

That puts my install to shame.

Brettny
# Posted: 25 Dec 2021 13:25

Quoting: ICC
It is one of the nicest paper jobs to be seen, all the more because he was a DIY homeowner who never worked in the building trades.

This is so true! Many people think they "cant" because they never done anything like this. But having seen some contractors work, no one will ever care about your project more than you

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.