Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Sharing my cabin costs
<< . 1 . 2 .
builtacabin
# Posted: 6 Mar 2024 20:43 - Edited by: builtacabin

In Western NC up in a mountain... where carpenters are booked out a year or two in advance, I just received our final inspection in January 2024 for a small 500 sq ft rental cabin I began in early 2022. As someone not in the construction field but rather an insurance agent, I couldn't find a general contractor for our projects, so I got licensed as a GC myself. That license hurt me more than not, as I can pass a test but had no idea what the hell I was doing. And as a GC I was mostly expected to know. Wow lots of suppliers and other people told me to ask my GC. At least I'm slightly more prepared for the next one, but it didn't come easy.

Reviewing these other figures in this thread leaves me feeling foolish. I set out to build what you all describe. But all my expenses were at least double, mostly triple, and a lot quadruple, compared to others. The plans alone cost more than $2k, rental scaffolding was going for $100 per buck per month not including planks - if they had any (usually they didn't), and since it's up on a mountain on a fire service-type road, shuttling materials delivered by semi in town up to the building site on smaller trucks cost an additional, I think, nearly $8k! The cabin dealer estimated a crew would cost around $30k for assembling the shell, a service he neither provided nor knew anyone for. Eventually, he secured someone for $55k, nearly double the initial estimate, but instead, I did it with day labor from a local employment agency. The exorbitant costs were crazy. But once I started, I really had no choice but to continue until it was done.

I was so disgusted about 6 months ago, I stopped entering expenses into my spreadsheet. It's an obscenely embarrassing number. But as I unpack the events that unfolded and update my numbers, I'll be documenting and sharing all my expenses and experiences. I'm thankful the outcome is undeniably beautiful, but it took a serious toll, financially, and overall. More details to come soon...
Construction Photo
Construction Photo
Putting in micro vent soon
Putting in micro vent soon
Looking down from behind
Looking down from behind
Looking up
Looking up

gcrank1
# Posted: 6 Mar 2024 23:14

Eagerly awaiting your thread on that magnificent build!

Brettny
# Posted: 7 Mar 2024 10:32

Wow it sure does look like the location and build site also added to alot of the price.

FishHog
# Posted: 7 Mar 2024 10:46

looks beautiful, but agree with the above, the location alone added significantly to your costs and there is not really anyway to avoid that.
You should be proud you got it done and it looks fantastic.

builtacabin
# Posted: 22 Mar 2024 15:56

I'm going to be putting up individual youtube videos on our cabin costs. Already have surveyor and draftsman shorts up. Is it good to post youtube channel name here?

DaveBell
# Posted: 26 Mar 2024 23:16

Quoting: builtacabin
Is it good to post youtube channel name here?

If it benefits the forum members and cabin folks, no problem. Links to products to promote sales for the member or political ads are both deemed spam and will be deleted along with membership. Posting links to products in response to questions or help requests are okay.

gcrank1
# Posted: 27 Mar 2024 09:39

Now "blown past our budget"...., BTDT! More accurately Am There Doing That, lol

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.