Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Cabin Foundation Question
<< . 1 . 2 .
Aklogcabin
# Posted: 2 Aug 2022 10:38

TN, I'll help all I can. I drilled the holes with a 2 man auger down 4' .put the post in with some tar paper over wrapped around them. Backfilled the holes with reddy mix concrete.
You could use the 6x6 treated posts. Id wrap them in felt/tar paper. You could pour some cement in the bottom and throw some coat hangers in for reinforcement. If you backfilled with small gravel you will help keep ice n frost from heaving it. The compression strength of a 6x6 is large. If you could get a beam from a local sawmill 6" wide to set on top with treated wood 2x6 on each side to hold it. Use galvinized nails n screws.
Manufactured floor joists can be bought that is 30' long. And if memory serves you can span the 15' and get by with 3 rows of floor support beams under them. 16" centers. Use 3/4" TnG over it. Construction adhesive to glue the 3/4" plywood to the floor joists. Don't skimp on the adhesive.
I'd suggest trying to build your dreams. I don't like thinking about how I wish I would have done things. It's your cabin, your choices. Great luck n stay positive, happy

gcrank1
# Posted: 2 Aug 2022 12:50 - Edited by: gcrank1

+that!
My 1st build in '83-'84 had some fairly big 'mistakes' in retrospect; mostly because the structure grew larger than I first thought it would/could be. That meant my 'bottom end' should have been done better.
But, it is still standing, sound, straight and square and has lasted to this date in much the same condition as built so long ago (reroofed only once).
So, maybe go overkill on the piers and deck?, just in case.....

spencerin
# Posted: 2 Aug 2022 22:24

Menard's is a big box, and the closest to TN is in KY, so I figured you might have to drive. But, it seems like it could be worth it once for the savings on the 6 x 6s.

The Lowe's description said they're good for burial, too. Protect the buried ends with tar or paint or those sleeves, and you'll die long before there's any real risk of rot.

In regards to your foundation setup, there's more than one way to skin a cat, especially if code enforcement isn't something you need to worry about. What you described can work fine if done correctly.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.