Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Steep stair options
. 1 . 2 . >>
Link44
# Posted: 25 Sep 2022 11:35

I'm having a dilemma decided which way to go for stairs. I have a 88in rise to the loft subfloor. I have a 84in length from the stair support to the wall.

I am looking at ship stairs that would fit in my 84 in space with 24in at the bottom of them to get lined up to start going up or more traditional stairs. The traditional stairs would have 1 step to a split landing, winder, turn left and ascend the rest of the way. I'm getting numbers around 8.8in rise with a 8.66 run. 10 rises and 9 runs.

They would go in the space where the ladder is. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks Chris
20220919_081544.jpg
20220919_081544.jpg

spencerin
# Posted: 25 Sep 2022 20:28 - Edited by: spencerin

How often will the steps be used, how tall are the people using them, and how old are the people using them?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 25 Sep 2022 20:58

Shipmans steps/ladder, rails and make underside area a closet for storage (door already in place)

ICC
# Posted: 25 Sep 2022 21:18

Quoting: spencerin
how old are the people using them

...and young people get old. Mostly. Also it is not so much age as ability. That is one of the reasons the stair guidelines/rules in the codes have evolved to what they are.

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 25 Sep 2022 21:20

Not sure it would work for you but this was my solution for loft stairs.
200671E1EE4E4E68A.jpeg
200671E1EE4E4E68A.jpeg
EF1BABCC43194DFEB.jpeg
EF1BABCC43194DFEB.jpeg

Link44
# Posted: 25 Sep 2022 22:07

Spencerin, The room behind the ladder is the main bedroom. The loft will be overflow sleeping and probably where my wife will go hide to read her book. We are mid 40's and I don't plan on going up there much but want it as safe as possible for guests and someday grandkids 🤞

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
Shipmans steps/ladder, rails and make underside area a closet for storage (door already in place)
I plan on a pantry under the stairs however they turn out.

IG, I like the attic ladder but I don't think that will work for me.

I have read about the guideline of rise+run=18 and risex2+run=25. Pretty close on 1, not so close on the other. I plan on a railing. I'm just trying to figure out which idea in my available space will be more user friendly. I would really like to be able to go down the stairs forward.

Thanks

Kaznats
# Posted: 25 Sep 2022 23:29 - Edited by: Kaznats

may I suggest you build a ship's ladder with alternating tread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaOngzL4vNQ

I built one for my 16x20 cabin that has a loft and I couldn't be happier with it and I'm nearly 70 years old.
alternating tread
alternating tread
ship's ladder
ship's ladder

Link44
# Posted: 26 Sep 2022 08:57

Kaznats, that is a beautiful ladder. I am considering a ship ladder. Has it been used by younger children and how well did it work for them?
Thanks

Kaznats
# Posted: 26 Sep 2022 09:29 - Edited by: Kaznats

Thanks. It only cost me about $120 to build and I can easily go up and down it even using no hands. I doubt it is safe for very young children but I have a friend who has severe MS with kyphosis and she was able to go up and down the stairs (okay I had to give her a boost from behind but as I said we are friends). Check out the links for the safety of alternating tread stairs for children to determine if it’s suitable for your particular needs but in my experience adults have no problem using alternating tread stairs once they overcome the fear of heights. The hand rails provide plenty of safety and I’m not sure if it shows, but I even built a cage at the top using black iron pipe to add extra safety when beginning the initial descent.
Stair cage
Stair cage

spencerin
# Posted: 26 Sep 2022 09:40

A ship's ladder will save you more space, but it'll be harder to go down forward. Your other option will be the opposite - likely able to go down forward, but will take up more space. Also, if you go with the latter, make sure you build it so you don't hit your head in the corner where the ceiling is the lowest.

Brettny
# Posted: 26 Sep 2022 10:15

I would go up that wall on the right and then make the turn towards the top of the ladder. Did you plan out stairs in the plans prior to building or planing as you go?

Link44
# Posted: 26 Sep 2022 13:54

Brettny, a little of both. I planned for the stairs to be there with a landing at the bottom against the right side wall so you could turn left and head up. They are looking steeper than I was wanting in real life vs paper so I'm trying to modify on the fly. I did plan for the stairs to rise with the rise of the gable roof. The loft is just barely 72inches at the peak.

I have room for a step before the landing and not have it in front of a window and was thinking about having the landing be a winder with 2 steps to lessen the angle.

I'll be back up there this coming weekend trying I get the rest of the roof on so I can stare at it a little harder then.
Thanks

travellerw
# Posted: 26 Sep 2022 21:52

Reminds me of my dilemma... I originally planned a ships ladder, but after much deliberation, I ended up with stairs. I went back and forth many times, but stairs just made the most sense. We have dogs, so now they can get up there, the loft is more used as its easier to get up, bringing stuff up is much easier, ect ect...

If it was me, I would do lots of thinking and planning to make stairs work. It looks like you could modify that endplate and wall (below where the steps would be) to add 1 additional step. That would probably solve all your problems. However, that would lower the ceiling in that small hallway.

Link44
# Posted: 26 Sep 2022 22:12

I think you're right about the stairs and we also have a dog that follows my wife wherever she goes. I'm going to measure and stare more this weekend. I think in the end that is the best plan.

Thanks all

Thelar
# Posted: 27 Sep 2022 09:10

I had a similar amount of space. I turned the stairs in the corner.
camp_stairs.jpg
camp_stairs.jpg

Brettny
# Posted: 27 Sep 2022 09:37

Those look great!

Dont guess use a stair tread calculator. Theres a calculator for everything now.

Link44
# Posted: 27 Sep 2022 18:14

Those look close to what I need. What kind of rise and run did you have? Are they easy to come down facing forward?

Link44
# Posted: 27 Sep 2022 20:06

Thelar, btw before moving to Oregon I grew up in Brunswick and spent several days last summer at Rangley.

Thelar
# Posted: 28 Sep 2022 10:06 - Edited by: Thelar

I built those almost 10 years ago. I think the rise is 8", run to the wall is 104', platform is 24" wide, run down to platform is 80". 8 stair treads are 10". Platform is 24" high. Rise is 8", run is 30". 3 stair treads are 10".

I used this product which are not sold any longer. I didn't have any experience cutting stringers.

https://www.jlconline.com/products/ez-stairs-makes-stair-bulding-faster_o

The stairs are easy to come down. It looks like your stair space is smaller. You can build the platform higher, so the stairs are not so steep, or turn them 180*.

I have never been to Oregon. I imagine it is similar to Maine. Love the Rangley area. We are north of Bangor in Lincoln.
Stairs_180_turn.jfif
Stairs_180_turn.jfif

Kaznats
# Posted: 28 Sep 2022 23:40

please remember that alternating tread stairs are in fact STAIRS. They actually may be used by pets if designed properly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6-8ni2fPlE

the ship's ladder is not the same thing as alternating stairs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX7k1-NMdJU

combining the attributes of the ship's ladder with alternating tread stairs not only works well and is an easy build but it has one additional plus that works in small places, the stairs are OPEN, you can see through them and they become an aesthetic in addition to being just a structural design. Here is a good video that shows just how easy it is to climb both up and down these stairs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taDr8zy7yd4
and i have to admit they are also fun to use!

Link44
# Posted: 2 Oct 2022 23:31

Thelar, thanks for the specs. I measured and thought some more this weekend and I think I have a plan. With 2 steps prior to the 2-step winder I can squeeze 9in run and a 8in rise with conventional stairs. It will be very similar to your just with the winder for the landing.

Kaznats, that guys videos are great. I will someday build alternating tread stairs but with thoughts of grandkids and dogs I think the conventional stairs will be better.

Thanks all

Thelar
# Posted: 3 Oct 2022 09:49

Good luck Link. Post some pics when your done. Can't wait to see what you build.

Brettny
# Posted: 3 Oct 2022 09:56

Could you make a landing with a stair on it thus limiting your rise and run for each stair. 9in run is prety shallow tread depth.

Are you also calculating the top step as the floor of the loft and not another added tread? If not these are two ways to add to your run.

ICC
# Posted: 3 Oct 2022 14:06 - Edited by: ICC

Quoting: Brettny
9in run is prety shallow tread depth.

A nine-inch tread is bordering on making descending risky, IMO. An 8-inch height is more than the US standard range, but I believe Canada stretches that to 8-1/4 max height.

Link44
# Posted: 3 Oct 2022 19:54

I have read books that stretched the stair dimensions from 8.25/9 to 7/11 rise/run. Of course my favorite is the book that aligns with my space requirements .

My father in law loaned his United States Department of Agriculture Wood-Frame Construction book revised 1989. It had the spec of 8.25in rise with a 9in run. I can barely conform to this with my space I have allowed for the stairs.

ICC, what is your feeling of alternating tread stairs?

This is a very quick sketch of the idea.
16648410546459168600.jpg
16648410546459168600.jpg
16648411486616500580.jpg
16648411486616500580.jpg

Brettny
# Posted: 3 Oct 2022 20:10

7/11 rise/run sounds alot better. Why the different tread width above and below the landing?

ICC
# Posted: 3 Oct 2022 20:34 - Edited by: ICC

Quoting: Link44
ICC, what is your feeling of alternating tread stairs?

I've seen them in industrial buildings, such as a location where a staircase was needed to provide access to a utility room that did not require frequent access. I tried them out a few times. My impressions are:
-they are not child friendly.
-also not good for some older people.
-I found them more difficult, more thought needed when descending than ascending.
-if used I believe there should be a very sturdy handrail on both sides of the staircase.
-I am not sure they are well suited for a staircase with a winder.

Would it be possible to add a tread to the lower section, before the winder? I know that will encroach on the lower floor space, but I try to think about safety as being of utmost importance.

FWIW, it has been found that winders configured with the treads at the inside of the corner cut to a point have more accidents than winders that have a minmum inside of corner tread. 6" is the normal minimum at an inside corner. That does use more floor square footage too so in a small space is a possible problem.

Also, FWIW, the above comment is why good (read code compliant) spiral stairs sometimes use an inner handrail that is spaced out to force people to walk further out where the treads are wider.

Stairs are a b*tch in a small home/cabin; one reason why I personally avoid them like the plague. But not everyone can.

ICC
# Posted: 3 Oct 2022 20:41 - Edited by: ICC

Stairs with a 90 degree direction change can be advantageous at times. They break up a long single run so in case of a fall the fall distance is shorter. But that is best done with a landing, not a winder.

gcrank1
# Posted: 3 Oct 2022 22:13

Ive used a few winders (used, not built with them) and ime when comfortable to use they were too big and when made small enough for small place, Too Tight.
I do not like them.

Link44
# Posted: 3 Oct 2022 22:39

I have been thinking about how to have a hand rail on both side. The inside is easy since there is a wall right there. A short post, for the hand rail to land on, cut into the corner of the winder would force the path of travel to the wider part of the step. I found some examples, not my dimensions but visual aid anyway.

I drew on the cabin floor the layout for the winder. I was trying to envision using the winder and it seemed like I had 2 left feet.
gcrank1, I can see what you mean.

The floor space is valuable but it would also have stairs start in front of a window which seems odd.
16648508048091568584.jpg
16648508048091568584.jpg

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.