Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Found another option - storage trailer conversion. questions before I buy
<< . 1 . 2 .
ShabinNo5
# Posted: 26 Oct 2012 08:25

Optimistic,

Good luck with your endeavor. I have no experience with building on a flatbed trailer or converting a cargo trailer. So my advice will be more generic.

I have two observations:

1) You have limited construction experience.

2) Your personal tastes suggest high expectations.

My advise, expect your construction process to take longer than you expect, a lot longer. Since RV/Campers are not to your taste, I would expect that your requirements may involve more complicated building techniques. Be prepared to spend at least a year in the construction process. There is always the best of intentions then there is reality. Our project is in its third year. My original plan was to have the Shabin completed in two years (and I have construction experience). One of the biggest contributors to expanded timelines are the "Aha" moments that alter the plan. Your posting history contains a number of "Aha" moments; don't expect that tendency to go away.

Anonymous
# Posted: 26 Oct 2012 09:02

The biggest AHA moment being the fact that commercial trailers in residential areas in Brooklyn are prohibited.

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 26 Oct 2012 18:06

Quoting: Anonymous
The biggest AHA moment being the fact that commercial trailers in residential areas in Brooklyn are prohibited.

I believe he stated, more than once on page one, that it would be parked in a storage lot, which would be permissible as it is a commercial property.

Anonymous
# Posted: 27 Oct 2012 07:57

Earlier posts indecated it was in a yard next to his house in Brooklyn. Hopefully it is a place where a noisy generator and the sound of power tools won't upset the neighbors. A 52 ft semi trailer can go unnoticed and there is enough of a turning radius for backing.

rayyy
# Posted: 28 Oct 2012 19:08

Op,I have several shipping containers at work that I look at and think would be just to tough to make into a comfortable structure.Metal is cold,wet and rusty and nasty,not at all user friendly.I also have a 12x20 portable wood shed that would be the perfect Blank slate for you to work with to make into anything you want.If you could draw out and design the size structure you want,you could build it all out at home, load it on a trailer all broken down into 4 walls,floor and roof,hall it up to your land and put it together in a weekend.Your windows and doors could be all installed at home.That would sound like a fun project to me.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.