Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Window dilemma
keastvol
# Posted: 15 Feb 2010 15:57

I'm building a small cabin and need advice on the window installation. I have finished framing the walls and now want to install a product called smartside panels. With the smartside panels you are not required to have a sheathing material installed prior to installation. I will be using the smartside as the sheathing material. The question is, Do I install the siding then cut out the window holes then install the windows over the siding then trim it out or windows first then siding?
framing2_004.JPG
framing2_004.JPG

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 15 Feb 2010 16:21

In my case, I first installed the siding, then cut out the window holes (using jig-saw), then installed and trimmed windows.

keastvol
# Posted: 15 Feb 2010 16:49

Thanks, I'm new to the site and just love all the information. Does anyone see a problem just using the smartsiding as the only sheathing material?

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 15 Feb 2010 16:56

Don't forget to put moisture barrier (Typar or similar) before nailing side panels.

Moontreeranch
# Posted: 17 Feb 2010 20:10

If the "span" rating of the panel meets your framing spec then you should be OK.

http://www.beconstructive.com/consumer/article_plywood.asp

you should be able to get these numbers from the manufacturer.

When I cut window openings I cut from the inside with a sawsall with a long blade I can follow the header, jack studs and sill. If you use a jig saw like cabin builder then you have to cut from outside and you cant see your framing.

Anonymous
# Posted: 18 Feb 2010 21:51

I'm really interested in shed roof cabins. Would you please tell us more about yours? Is it 12'x20' ? Any more pictures? Thanks

JRanch
# Posted: 20 Feb 2010 17:25

That looks to be 12x16, are you going to do a loft and if so, how big will it be and which way will you position it?

Thanks,
Keith

Moontreeranch
# Posted: 25 Feb 2010 00:25

I built my cabin with shed roof cabin is 11x20 (less than 200 sq feet inside...no permit for no plumb or grid elec.

I used BCI I-joists for rafters these are set directly on sloped (about12 degrees) angled top plates the studs are cut at the top with the same angle.

you can see pics in my project post

http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_169_0.html

the bci are light and easy to work with...they are a little more $$$ but worth it in my book

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.