Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Framing nail gun
. 1 . 2 . >>
Rick004
# Posted: 7 Jan 2014 23:50

I have a technical question ? I just bought a mastercraft ( canadian tire brand ) framing nail gun . It takes 2 inch to 3 and a half framing nails . In the manual it says that it requires 6.3 cfm to operate . So it looks like I need at least a 30 gallon compressor to run it properly ? Does anyone have any experience with these ??

MtnDon
# Posted: 8 Jan 2014 00:24 - Edited by: MtnDon

Do the specs list what duty cycle that 6.3 SCFM is needed for? What about the air pressure? The air pressure requirement is more important than SCFM. It is the air pressure that drives the nail, the SCFM capacity (volume) only comes into play if you are on a production line where you are pretty much continuously driving nails. The tool uses a certain volume of air per nail; if you are a typical DIY person you will drive a few nails and pause as you move to the next place to nail. Even pros nailing sheathing or installing shingles don't move fast enough to need more than a small compressor.

In fact from what I recall most air nailers list pressure range but don't touch on SCFM capacity.

I use a small pancake compressor of 2.6 SCFM capacity with all my nailers. I never have any issues with air volume. Air sanders, chisels and grinders are another matter, though. They use a lot of air volume and the big shop compressor is best with them to avoid standing around waiting for the air to build back up.

So I am simply puzzled by their claim to need 6.3 SCFM.

Rick004
# Posted: 8 Jan 2014 07:04

Thanks MtnDon. ! The manual states the operating pressure at 70-110 PSI and SCFM requirement of 6.63 cfm@ 90psi .

bldginsp
# Posted: 8 Jan 2014 08:57

6.63 cfm must be a continuous use spec. They have to list that to satisfy the needs of the few that will use the tool that way. I agree with MtDon that in a DIY situation you wont' need any near that.

I'm off grid, and got two gas powered nailers, a Paslode framing nailer and a Paslode finish nailer. Now I wonder if I would have been better off getting a small compressor and air tools, since the air tools are a lot cheaper. But that means running a generator to run a compressor. There are nice high cfm gas powered generators too, but expensive.

The gas nailers are fun because they are like a pistol when they go off.

Rick004
# Posted: 8 Jan 2014 09:14

Hey bldginsp !! I can definately see the fun in a gas powered nailer in the bush !!! I will be using the framing nailer mainly for building the 2x8 logs in the other thread on this site " cheap easy log cabin " so I doubt I will be nailing constantly !! I really hated the thought of carting a 60 gallon compressor up to the lot !

Rick004
# Posted: 8 Jan 2014 09:47

Hey MtnDon ! Out of curiosity , what is the benefit of a pancake compressor as compared to a hotdog style or upright ?? Thanks !

MtnDon
# Posted: 8 Jan 2014 12:48

Just a different way to make a small compressor. What counts is the Max PSI, SCFM rating and tank size.

Rick004
# Posted: 8 Jan 2014 13:09

I have a big stationary compressor for my impact and air tools but it's too big too lug up to the lot that's why I wanted to know how small a compressor I could get away with. ?

MtnDon
# Posted: 8 Jan 2014 13:33

One big difference between compressors is whether or not it is an "oil free" or a oil lubricated piston and cylinder type. Oil free are usually cheaper and make lots more noise. Piston types run quieter and good piston designs cost more as a rule.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 8 Jan 2014 14:28

Rick, I bought a Porter Cable framing nailer that shoots 2 to 3.5" nails also (21' full round head) and it runs perfectly on my Porter Cable 6 gallon compressor which I might add runs on my Honda EU2000i generator

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 8 Jan 2014 14:31

Quoting: Rick004
Hey MtnDon ! Out of curiosity , what is the benefit of a pancake compressor as compared to a hotdog style or upright ?? Thanks !

I like pancake because they are usually a diaphram type compressor. Diaphramn type is much lighter, They are much quieter than a piston type and also do not require the bigger start up torque to get them going. Another plus is there is never oil in the lines. Critical if you ever paint.

Rick004
# Posted: 8 Jan 2014 14:53

Thanks for the advise ! My nailer shoots clipped head framing nails only !

Dekagoldwingers
# Posted: 8 Jan 2014 15:30

I have a Campbell hausfield nail gun, shoots up to 3" clipped head 34 degree nails. My pancake canadian tire brand compressor works great, can fire 10 nails without the compressor restarting. Set pressure about 100 psi.

Dekagoldwingers
# Posted: 8 Jan 2014 16:01

I checked the compressor. It's a 2 hp 6 gallon delivering 2.3 scam at 90 psi.

Rick004
# Posted: 8 Jan 2014 17:22

I think that will be my next purchase when it comes on sale at CT !!!

davey25
# Posted: 8 Jan 2014 22:24

The paslodes are great..way better than having a genny and compressor..but if you already have that there no biggie..for your nail gun master craft has 100 and 125 psi compressors..just make sure it's the 125..like said previously scfm shouldn't matter..even the little 2 gallon as long as it's 125 psi it will do..

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 8 Jan 2014 23:10 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

I'm certain (I think) my Porter Cable is closer to 150 PSI. I set the regulator to bump down line pressure to 100-125ish. I can use that to also adjust nail depth in addition to my adjustment ont he framing nailer. Most cabin owners will have a generator, if not for the air nailer, to run saws, drills etc. So the addition of a pancake compressor is nothing. The Honda will run the diaphram units easily on the "eco mode" which is a little above idle and 48db or so.

Rick, I ended up buying every nailer made that runs on air from framing, pallet/siding/coil roofing, pin nailer, brad nailer, crown stapler and finish nailer. I also have the Bostitch palm nailers The small and the larger one (50 and 100). These are a dream for doing joist handers, hurricane hangers etc.

But out of all those, if I could only keep 2, it would be the framing nailer and the 16 gauge finish nailer. Those 2 were my real workhose nailers. I became so spoiled, I will not built anything without air nailers and unless I have too. The framing nailer can use short enough nails to install siding too. You will need to adjust the tip and can tweak the air pressure down or both. Home Depot has a special on the pancake compressor and finish nailer combo kit (Porter Cable). for I think $179ish.

Rick, you will throw rocks as your hammers. But save them, you need them to move or adjust wood during squareing things up.

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 8 Jan 2014 23:39

Hey Rick

I have that exact nail gun and run it off a very small "hot dog" type compressor. No issues at all.

Keep the gun oiled and check all the screws are tight, we had issues with screws coming loose.

bldginsp
# Posted: 9 Jan 2014 08:48

I have the Paslode framing and finish gas nailers, because I'm off grid, but now I realize that I'm going to need to get a small compressor to blow out the water lines at my cabin. So, instead of getting the gas nailers, I could have gotten the compressor and a couple nailers for the same or lower price. Then, I'd have the compressor to use during construction for other purposes. Have to have a generator on site anyway for the Skilsaws.

6 is one half dozen of the other.

Used quality air guns are readily available on Craigslist at reasonable prices usually, gas nailers more rarely.

Rick004
# Posted: 9 Jan 2014 09:41

Actually I just picked up my mastercraft framing gun for 80$ on Kijiji !! It was never used , still in the bag with all the manuals and oiler and stuff intact !! There's 2 porter cable 6 gallon pancake compressors on there as well I have my eye on now. !!

bldginsp
# Posted: 9 Jan 2014 12:47

Makes the $400 I spent on a new Paslode gas frame nailer look bad in comparison. But the gas nailers are very handy, you don't have to mess with cords or turning the generator and compressor on every time you want to shoot a few nails, so it will make life easier.

razmichael
# Posted: 9 Jan 2014 13:13

Quoting: bldginsp
you don't have to mess with cords or turning the generator and compressor on every time you want to shoot a few nails

I love my Paslode gas framer - the key being that I did not have a compressor or any tools anyway and wanted the flexibility and portability of the Paslode. I've used mine to build the cabin but also doing a toboggan ramp, tree house and various other projects where I would not have wanted to draq out a compressor. Slightly off topic but I also have numerous Ryobi 18V tools (some at home, some at the cabin) and recently picked up their new cordless brad nailer - it is amazing! I have not put enough nails through it to comment on long term reliability but it works really well! I would never say that Ryobi makes the best cordless tools but I love the fact that the older 18v tools and batteries are all compatible with the new ones.

bldginsp
# Posted: 9 Jan 2014 13:29

It's hard to go back to corded tools once you are used to cordless. I don't like spending $45 each for NiCD batteries on my Dewalts, only to find that they only last a few years. I'd like to switch to lithium, but that means replacing all the tools as well as the batteries, a big chunk of change.

razmichael
# Posted: 9 Jan 2014 13:35

Quoting: bldginsp
but that means replacing all the tools as well as the batteries

These new batteries are not cheap! I still have my original old Ryobi drill (about 8 years old I think) and even a couple of the original 18V batteries that still work. Put the latest 18V Lithium+ battery into the old drill and it runs better than than it did originally! Not that I would do it but the old battery will run the latest brad nailer (although for a limited number of nails). I ended up going with Ryobi by chance - my brother gave me the drill as a gift.

Rick004
# Posted: 9 Jan 2014 14:17

I still have a few ryobi tools !! I've had good luck with all of them so far !!

razmichael
# Posted: 9 Jan 2014 14:20

Hey Rick004 - Glad you commented! Felt like we were hijacking your thread but you just broadened the topic officially!

Rick004
# Posted: 9 Jan 2014 18:41

There's nothing better than good tool talk !! I'm a mechanic but my carpentry skills aren't the greatest !!

PatrickH
# Posted: 9 Jan 2014 20:04

You can easily add volume to a small compressor by adding longer and larger air hoses/lines I've had the best luck with the red rubber hoses some large factories use no tanks at all and simply size the pipe system to fit their needs

leonk
# Posted: 9 Jan 2014 21:45

there was a decent compressor on sale, I think at Lowes and it was Porter Cable (Canada). I have smaller nailers from CT and they're crap, dunno about the framing one. I'd rather use a hammer and if I had a big job to do, I'd buy a good one.

razmichael
# Posted: 10 Jan 2014 09:01

Quoting: Rick004
There's nothing better than good tool talk !! I'm a mechanic but my carpentry skills aren't the greatest !!

I think this calls for a new thread on favorite tools - coming up.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.