Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Framing nail gun
<< . 1 . 2 .
cbright
# Posted: 10 Jan 2014 13:36

Rick004 I have the same framing nailer and run it quite happily with my 6 gallon compressor.... the compressor will run for a bit (10-15 seconds) after every ten or so, 3 1/2" nails.

Malamute
# Posted: 10 Jan 2014 15:03 - Edited by: Malamute

I have a Hitachi framing gun and compressor. They've been good tools so far since I got them in about '05. For siding or other applications that you want to limit nail head depth, get a flush nailer attachment that goes on the head of the nailer, over the safety trigger. It sets the heads about flush, and doesn't scar up the wood from the teeth on the regular safety tip. Mine attaches with 3 small allen screws. Its much less frustrating than trying to get the depth set by air pressure, at least with mine.

I think the high speed compressors used in construction recover much faster than the shop type compressors at their lower motor speeds.

Someone mentioned torque required to start certain types. When my compressor was cold, it would often pop the overload breaker on the compressor trying to start. I started putting a heater blowing on it before starting, or purge all residual air from the tank so there was less it had to work against at first. Both seemed to help. After it fired up the first time and was used enough to keep it warm, it seemed to do fine.

Some tools specify air hose ID. My Hitachi manual specified 3/8", which I've used most, but the 1/4" works fine also, at obviously reduced volume. I don't like how unruly the 1/4" line is though.

Another compressor thought, mine didn't like running off of an extension cord at ALL unless the cord was 12 ga. It refused to start many times with a light gauge cord, even when it was fairly short.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.