Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Exterior siding , what you used and why ?
. 1 . 2 . >>
Shadyacres
# Posted: 29 Apr 2014 19:46

Hello all , I am so undecided what kind of exterior siding to use. On one hand I want to use wood for appearance but than I think vinyl or cement siding would be better for less upkeep. Please let me know what you used and what was your reason for doing so ? Thanks mrhayes ( 20X30 in central PA )

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 29 Apr 2014 20:03

on my southern camp ( 20' x 30' ) ...I used board and batten HEMLOCK...is was cut in North Carolina....

on my Northern hunting camp in Maine...I used Hemlock as well...reasonable priced and looks great!!!

buksnbears
# Posted: 29 Apr 2014 20:20

cedar or redwood if cost is no problem.

davestreck
# Posted: 29 Apr 2014 20:22

White cedar shingles.

stickbowcrafter
# Posted: 29 Apr 2014 20:27 - Edited by: stickbowcrafter

I am also considering cement board siding for the wood grain look without the maintenance. I cannot bring myself to use plastic (vinyl) siding on my beautiful farm.

-Brian

MJW
# Posted: 29 Apr 2014 20:37

Rough cut oak board and batten. let it dry for a couple of weeks and applied Thompson's.

I like the look and it will last for a LONG time. Pretty cheap, too.

Heavy.....very heavy. Putting it up aged me 20 years.

Shadyacres
# Posted: 29 Apr 2014 20:51

Would you guys have any pictures that you could post ? Thanks for the ideas.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 29 Apr 2014 21:23 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

I use a lot of Southern Yellow pine T1-11. It last a long time and adds a lot of strength to your walls. If I use any lap type siding , I use OSB under it to make back the strength lost with lap siding.
canadian cabin
canadian cabin
sauna
sauna

Shadyacres
# Posted: 29 Apr 2014 21:37

Very nice OwenChristensen .

MJW
# Posted: 29 Apr 2014 22:01

Here you go...
IMG2013090200216.j.jpg
IMG2013090200216.j.jpg
DSCN0668.JPG
DSCN0668.JPG
IMG2013091800226.j.jpg
IMG2013091800226.j.jpg

MtnDon
# Posted: 29 Apr 2014 22:13 - Edited by: MtnDon

Cement fiber (Hardi) lap siding over #15 building felt, over OSB sheathing nailed to the studs.

Because it is fire rated.
Because it is insect resistant.
Because it is not going to rot.
Because it holds paint well; better than many wood siding materials. Good paint will last decades. Clear finishes and semi transparent stains do not last nearly as long, so we wanted paint for lower maintenance.

It comes in widths from 5 1/4 to 12 inches so you can pick your look.

We used the Hardi perforated/ventilated soffit material and fascia as well as window, door and corner trim.

old243
# Posted: 29 Apr 2014 22:38

at our hunt camp we used colored steel, roofing. no maintenance, looks good. old243

cbright
# Posted: 30 Apr 2014 14:26

I used Hardi board lap siding ... 6" boards.

Reason. Didn't want to use vinyl, didn't want the up keep of wood.

Got a good deal on a bunch a builder had left over from a job.

Looks good... takes probably triple the amount of time to put on a vinyl, but worth it for the end result.
20131119_135119.jpg
20131119_135119.jpg
20131119_135054.jpg
20131119_135054.jpg
SideTrim.jpg
SideTrim.jpg

Shadyacres
# Posted: 2 May 2014 05:19

Right now I seem to be leaning toward cement board siding , probably the lap. I think I would like the vertical but I wouldn't like it that my fasteners would not be covered and may be a problem area. I have house wrap on now. Would it hurt to place felt paper over top of house wrap ? By the way , everyone thanks for all the pictures you posted. They all look great.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 2 May 2014 08:50

T1-11 in plywood (4X8 feet, 8" grooves, no chip board) in 5/8" thick.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 2 May 2014 09:23

A lot of the cement siding has been shrinking and pulling nails, also the so called perm. color has failed. So much so, that they haven't been honoring their warranty.

Brettski
# Posted: 2 May 2014 14:44

We wound up biting the $ bullet and used LP Smartside. 50 year warr on product and 30 year on finish. It is amazing what factory finishes can do these days.

mongo1
# Posted: 3 May 2014 16:44

I used cabin brown vinyl siding and soffit.Love wood but didn,t want the upkeep.My supplier gave me a great deal on it since it was for my own personal use.Easy to replace if one gets damaged also.Good luck deciding and have a fantastic day!!!!!Mongo

BaconCreek
# Posted: 6 May 2014 08:44

We used LP Smart Siding. It is primed and our goal is to paint/stain it eventually. I am thinking this should be low maintenance.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 6 May 2014 18:25

I'm sure it's fine, but it's made up here and it's just glued together poplar chips. It seems us locals are the only ones who dislike poplar.
My problem with it stems from years ago. They had a huge amount of failure. the reason it's primed, is it has to be.
Anyway I'm sure it's a good product now, but if I had built a year's worth of small buildings and had them fail, I'd have been forced out of business. A warranty wouldn't have paid for my time and my disgusted customers would have spread the word to ruin my life. LP had come to me and tried to get me to switch from T1-11 plywood. Thank goodness I didn't. I have almost no failure from T1-11 and I use over one thousand sheets a year.

Owen

Shadyacres
# Posted: 6 May 2014 22:01

Owen , can you get T1-11 in 10 ft lengths ? Thanks

MtnDon
# Posted: 6 May 2014 23:33 - Edited by: MtnDon

Quoting: mrhayes
T1-11 in 10 ft lengths

Yes. HD sells it in selected areas though usually you will need to go through a Real Lumber Yard. 9 and 10 foot lengths, same as OSB

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 6 May 2014 23:44

Anyone use reclaimed barn board? There are a lot of collapsing barns near me and I love the silver look. I would do board and baton.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 7 May 2014 07:44 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

Not reclaimed but, board on board. I have 1/2'' plywood under it for the storm bracing.
board on board
board on board

Kudzu
# Posted: 7 May 2014 21:46

cypress board & bat, or any other type wood that works in your climate.

Shadyacres
# Posted: 8 May 2014 05:28

Thanks again for all the input. I may be leaning toward hemlock board and batten now. I still have time to decide because I want to get the inside taken care of first.

timmy55
# Posted: 9 Aug 2018 16:31

I would suggest anything other than real wood. The upkeep for real wood is a huge undertaking. I myself got read a lot of articles on websites like conservation construction and anderson and they all agree vinyl is the easiset to mainatain and you'll never have to paint again. If you are willing to do the work you can save a bunch of money on labor. This is what I would recommend to you. I hope this helps.

rockies
# Posted: 9 Aug 2018 17:17 - Edited by: rockies

Even though the original post was from 2014 and the siding has long been attached, I went with burnt cedar rabbited siding for the lower half and cement panels for the upper section, under eaves and the fascia.

With all the wildfires happening each year there's no better choice than to use a fire proof product. Since the cedar siding has already been burnt with a torch it doesn't ignite again. Cement board (like Hardie panels) should be used under all overhangs since a fire can race up the wall and become trapped under the eave causing a roof fire.

And forget cedar shake roofs. Go with standing seam metal with a fire proof membrane underneath so the roof deck doesn't ignite.

https://www.gaf.com/en-us/roofing-products/residential-roofing-products/roof-deck-pro tection/fire-resistant/versashield
not my cabin
not my cabin

ICC
# Posted: 10 Aug 2018 10:05

Quoting: rockies
wildfires happening each year there's no better choice than to use a fire proof product. Since the cedar siding has already been burnt with a torch it doesn't ignite again.

Nitpicking I know, but fire-resistant would be a better term to use than fireproof.

from charredwood.com "we are effectively doing is burning off the outermost cellulose and leaving only the blackened lignin behind. In order for the charred wood siding or fencing to re-ignite requires much higher temperatures and much longer in contact with a flame source." Even the manufacturers of cement fiber board only call it fire resistant. Good stuff to use though.

Cs2074
# Posted: 10 Aug 2018 13:59

I am a big fan of Board and Batten siding I have used it on 4-5 building on my farm including my house.
I have used Hemlock from a local sawmill last time I bought it I paid .40 a board foot. that was a few years ago now price of hemlock was down because everyone was cutting it before the bugs killed it.

My house is going on 15 years and holding up well On the sunny side of the house you can see some fading in the stain.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.