Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Exterior siding , what you used and why ?
<< . 1 . 2 .
Cs2074
# Posted: 10 Aug 2018 14:00

Shadyacres
Where at in central pa I am hour north of Harrisburg and could give you some mills to call.

rockies
# Posted: 10 Aug 2018 17:19

Many wildfires will blast by a building very quickly resulting in a "scorched" appearance but no real structural issues. Some products in the "fire resistant" category are better than others but few people consider the shape of their cabin in regards to how a fire will affect it. Big porch roofs and overhangs will trap a fire ball under the eave resulting in a much longer fire exposure period. All under eave materials should be fire resistant.

If you must vent your attic or ceiling then use vents specifically designed to prevent embers from getting inside. Use a special underlayment designed for fire prevention under your standing seam roof. Design channels above your windows and doors so that fire screens can be lifted into place and secured.

Most of all, keep trees and dry brush well away from the cabin. Over 50% of cabin fires are caused by the fire racing along the ground and underneath the cabin, burning it out from the inside.

Jebediah
# Posted: 11 Aug 2018 11:27

The place I bought has cedar siding...its 40yrs old. I would love to try that burnt wood, seems like a popular option right now.

Fanman
# Posted: 15 Aug 2018 18:06

I know it's not an option any more, but our cabin is sided with vertical chestnut log slabs from all the trees that were cut down as "salvage logging" during the chestnut blight 80 years ago. Some people in the area have rebuilt using modern curved "log" siding in the same arrangement, though of course it's not as pleasing as the old rough cut logs.
Cabin_exterior_DSC01.jpg
Cabin_exterior_DSC01.jpg

Shadyacres
# Posted: 16 Aug 2018 05:35

Cs2074 , You have probably heard of Brubakers Lumber mill close to Meiserville. That is where I got most of my lumber.

Shadyacres
# Posted: 16 Aug 2018 05:35

I ended up going with vinyl siding.

Borrego
# Posted: 16 Aug 2018 10:40

Hardi panels, the 4 x 8' sheets. Our cabin is in the desert and I needed the most durable product, period. No battens as I don't like the look...

ICC
# Posted: 16 Aug 2018 14:37

Hardi cement fiber lap siding. Because it is fire resistant and holds paint very well. No blistering or flaking like can happen with wood. I also used their cement fiberboard trim, soffit and fascia material.

Plus I have some stucco because it is not lap siding. I wanted some walls with a different look. Plus I have friends who do stucco.

Part of the machine shed is a concrete block wall because it is fireproof and sturdy. Other sections are wood framed with metal panel sides because I wanted fire resistant and wanted to be able to expand in that direction if I wanted to.

snobdds
# Posted: 16 Aug 2018 16:33

I use hardie board plank siding. It's the most durable and trouble free option. The completed side we did last year, currently working on the front.
WP_20170827_001.jpg
WP_20170827_001.jpg
20180812_115335.jpg
20180812_115335.jpg

Borrego
# Posted: 16 Aug 2018 17:45

Yeah, Hardi holds paint like crazy.....5 years of desert sun and it still looks like new. I even ripped some of the panels and made 'covers' for the fascia. Only way to go......

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.