Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / A question about exhausting my generator
<< . 1 . 2 .
MtnDon
# Posted: 19 Oct 2011 22:13 - Edited by: MtnDon

My thought is that since warm air rises, and with CO being a product of combustion and therefore warm or hot, a passive vent out the top of the wall or roof near the generator would be a good bet.

bobrok
# Posted: 24 Oct 2011 19:57

Well, we're back in civilization after a week + up on the mountain. I have to say that overall I'm very pleased with the way the generator-in-shed combination works and I would recommend this as an option to those of you interested.
I'd say the most unexpected occurance was the noise from reverberation inside the shed; I had thought it would be extremely quiet and I got a little noise but nothing to be irritated over, and certainly I wouldn't think any reason to insulate the shed.
Be sure your exhaust is pointed downwind.
CO2 levels never rose above 51PPM ('cept for that reset fiasco I suffered thru mid-week) and temps never rose above 65 F inside the shed w/o any ventilation at all as the outside temps hovered in the 40-50 F range.
With what was said about operating inefficiency in extreme cold temperature I decided to keep it non-vented and if/when we go up in the middle of winter see how warm it stays inside.
Come warm weather next year I'll experiment with the passive vent and if that doesn't work I'll move toward power venting.
Thanks for everyone's help.

trollbridge
# Posted: 24 Oct 2011 20:55

Thanks for the update. Glad you had a relaxed time away!

btlman37
# Posted: 25 Nov 2011 19:05

Larry, go to www.generator-line.com This company produces exhaust shrouds for the honda EU series as well as a wireless remote control for the EU3000is. I have the EU3000is exhaust system but not the wireless control. The exhaust system was simple to install, came with all the materials. The beauty of it is that it channels out both exhaust and cooling air. My issue was wanting to leave the generator at the cabin and securing it in the shed and now I can run it in there out of the weather and now I really can't hear it.

bobrok
# Posted: 28 Nov 2011 15:01

btlman37,

Thank you for sharing this link. I didnt know an 'aftermarket' line existed for Honda EU's.

Very nice. And that is what this forum is all about!

bob

rickyd58
# Posted: 29 Nov 2011 19:37

Found the solution to enclosing my Honda EU3000is and running in the tool shed at www.generator-line.com Such a simple concept but someone certainly put in some effort to design the exhaust covers. works great and I just attached the aluminum tube to a dryer vent. Very clean install.

MtnDon
# Posted: 29 Nov 2011 22:16

Those are very nifty exhaust/cooling kits!!

bobrok
# Posted: 17 Oct 2013 23:40

I thought I would bump this old thread because I recently purchased and installed one of those Honda shroud vents from Generator Line and I have to say so far I'm impressed with how well it works. I wasn't happy with all the makeshift efforts at ventilating my shed and keeping the generator cool and just plain decided that purchasing one of these was worth it to protect the investment in my Honda generator. After speaking with Rick, the owner/designer/fabricator I was convinced that it was a good decision, and I don't regret it.
All exhaust and heat is vented directly outside through the shroud. It is recommended that you connect the 4" exhaust vent through a metal dryer vent apparatus which mounts through the wall, which is what I did. There is NO measurable heat rise inside my shed while in operation, where before, as you read in an earlier post, I had around 15°F temp rise. I did install passive gable venting for circulation, as was recommended above, too. So I wanted to share my experience here and make a recommendation of this product to anyone who may be considering it.
Bob

jaransont3
# Posted: 18 Oct 2013 00:19

This is what I did for our generator shed....

The large louvered grill down low is for the exhaust. You can just make out the under-eave intake vents up high between the rafters. I have screen in all the openings. You can also see the small hinged access panel down low on the right. This gives access to the key and choke and outlets of our Honda EU3000i. It also eliminates the need to entire the shed to turn it off. Reducing any risk of CO poisoning.

Here is a shot from the inside. The generator sits in the corner.

The only thing I haven't installed yet is the vent fan. I plan to have a simple electric fan ducted to the large outlet. I will simply plug the fan into the generator and leave it on. the only time I need a fan is when the generator is running....and if it is running I am producing 110V. With 3000W available...I have plenty of power available.

mjmmessina
# Posted: 18 Oct 2013 00:28

I built a small generator shed with vents facing away from my cabin, insulated the walls with acoustical ceiling tile and mounted a roof ventalator fan on top of it. It has worked great and cut the noise level to almost nothing.
IMG00154_2.jpg
IMG00154_2.jpg

Truecabin
# Posted: 18 Oct 2013 00:39 - Edited by: Truecabin

takes care of the sound but does anybody mistake your generator for a....... oh nevermind

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.