Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / New to Wood Stove Heating. Could someone review installation photos?
<< . 1 . 2 .
Old_Skewler
# Posted: 25 Oct 2021 09:37

Quoting: Tim_Ohio
In that case, it looks like you will have to remove the rain cap on the roof and run a properly size round chimney brush down through it.

Tim, I had found this brush device in the basement in the cabin and I didn't know what it was for.

Now I suspect this was used to clean up the chimney.

It has a brush head and two fiberglass rods, each 4' in length.

Could you confirm this is for cleaning up the chimney?

TIA!
Brush.jpg
Brush.jpg

Old_Skewler
# Posted: 25 Oct 2021 09:50

Quoting: Aklogcabin
Cleaning your chimney is not a big deal. You have already been on the roof. A brush of sorts is sold that screws on to extension rods. You just take the chimney cap off.

I believe I have found the brush the previous owner used to clean up the chimney. I only have a few lingering questions before I have the courage to do this task:

1. How to remove the chimney cap? are those usually twist or pressed in place?
2. should I use any chemicals to clean up the chimney cap? Any spray chemicals?
3. I suspect I need to leave the vent damper open when cleaning from the top? What if things get stuck at the damper?
4. I have two fiberglass rods, 4 feet each. That means if cleaning from the top I would be able to only reach about 3/4 of the length. Is that okay?
5. Any other steps after cleaning the chimney with the brush? How is the first fire after cleaning?

Quoting: Aklogcabin

Burning wood is not rocket science and you look to have a good setup. Don't be afraid of it

Thank you, it is a bit scary but I believe I am doing the best I can!

Thank you very much for your reply!

ICC
# Posted: 25 Oct 2021 09:51

Yes , it is a chimney brush. I like the ones with the fibreglass wands. Use from roof top

Old_Skewler
# Posted: 25 Oct 2021 09:57

Quoting: gcrank1
Replacement black (Never use 'silver' pipe!) stove pipe comes in a few different gauges, get the thickest you can.

Very clear, thank you.

gcrank1
# Posted: 25 Oct 2021 14:36

The stove-pipe damper pivots a circular flap on the rod, the brush cant make it past; best to close the damper and must brush down to it several times.
Btw, Ive found it best to kinda 'jig' the brush, that is go down a bit then an upstroke, down further and jig up, repeat. This keeps the brush from getting hard jammed deep down in too much crud.
The damper on old style stoves is usually located within arms reach on the pipes close to the stove so you have quick and easy control of it. You clean down to it and are likely to be replacing the pipes there anyway. Keep the damper! You install it in the new pipe after drilling two holes 180* apart in the pipe.

Brettny
# Posted: 25 Oct 2021 15:54

I would replace all that black stove pipe. Flaking off rust isnt good on them. Since your going up on the roof to clean that chimney cap I would just bring the brush with you and clean the chimney. The brush should be plastic for a SS chimney.

I just cleaned my chimney yesterday. It's a good time to inspect everything..even the stove.

Your chimney looks a bit tall to not have a roof bracket.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.