Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Insulation and water storage
<< . 1 . 2 .
spencerin
# Posted: 27 Sep 2022 17:35 - Edited by: spencerin

Nobadays, do these jackhammers need sufficient downward/perpendicular pressure placed on them in order to hammer? Or, do you simply pull a trigger? If I take this task on, some of the excavating will need to be done at angle to create enough depth, which could create issues if pressure is needed to operate it.....

Nobadays
# Posted: 28 Sep 2022 06:23

Spenc.... no doesn't matter what angle it is in and not a lot of pressure. Takes getting used to, hard to explain but you can't just pull the trigger and bounce around. It kind of has to be placed, then pull the trigger. If bouncing you have to let off the trigger until it starts to hit then have at it.

spencerin
# Posted: 29 Sep 2022 19:27

I'm gonna tackle it, instead with a rotary hammer drill with a clay spade or wide chisel bit. I have a feeling it's going to be brutal work.....

Nobadays
# Posted: 7 Oct 2022 16:23

Well the winter water storage project is nearly completed. Only thing left is to insulate the pipes for a little added security and tidy up the wiring.

Used 1" fill sloping up from the tanks to a handy spot near the front porch. A 1 1/2" pipe for overflow sloping down and to the outside where a 90* elbow directs the water away... the elbow has both flyscreen then 1/4" hardware cloth clamped over the opening. The tanks are connected by 2" pipe then a 3/4" valved outlet to the pump and currently a 3/4" valve for draining... that will be sized up to 1 1/2" next year (that should explain the reducers in the picture.)

The RV pump is of course in the box with a small pressure tank. I used drinking water safe Flexzilla hoses for connections from tank to pump/pump to PEX then a Sharkbite tee onto the existing copper. Two valves under the cabin can be opened or closed to switch from outside cistern to the winter tanks. The valves can be reached from outside through a small access door.

The RV tank sensors are perfect for the job. Put the first 125 gallons in then drilled right at the waterline. Second at the 250 mark and the third at 375 which is just below the overflow pipe. The monitor panel is under the stairway where our battery storage is located. A 120vac to 12vdc transformer provides the power for both the pump and level monitor.

Here are followup pictures.
IMG_7621_resize_18.j.jpg
IMG_7621_resize_18.j.jpg
IMG_7622_resize_89.j.jpg
IMG_7622_resize_89.j.jpg
IMG_7624_resize_8.jp.jpg
IMG_7624_resize_8.jp.jpg
IMG_7625_resize_93.j.jpg
IMG_7625_resize_93.j.jpg

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 8 Oct 2022 09:18

Hey good on you man. You had this project in mind n did it.

Nobadays
# Posted: 17 Nov 2022 17:59

We have been "unseasonably" cold the last week. Today was the first day in 5 days that the daytime temperature rose above freezing... hit 33F today. It has been single digits nighttime for those 5 days as well, one of those mornings was 0*F.

Two days ago the water system for the outside cistern froze so I switched over to the under cabin tanks. Sweet to have that in place! Yesterday the outside water thawed out so we switched back. There was a little over 200 gallons in there so we wanted to use it up. My wife did 3 loads of laundry. We'll this morning frozen again. Put a heater in the pump box and finally by noon got it running again. My wife did dishes and we both got showers then went out to winterize and drain the cistern. Pumped RV antifreeze through the pipes over to the cabin then commenced to drain the cistern. Just a pencil sizestream from a 1" pipe. Had a plug right where the pipe goes through the wall into the tank. Taking that plug out I got a finger in there.... ice right at the wall. Put a piece of pipe in where the plug was and filled it with hot water. Started to fill then the water just started flowing in. The down stream valve was off so the water gad to be going back into the tank. Sure enough, turned the drain valve on and a full pipe of water! Only about 150 gallons left so just letting in run out.

So glad we have the under cabin tanks! That was a bunch of work but I believe our winter water issues are over. I see the remote thermometer says it's 44*F under there right now!

ICC
# Posted: 17 Nov 2022 19:28

I don't like hard water any time of the year

spencerin
# Posted: 17 Nov 2022 20:34

And, I started my crawlspace excavation. I for some reason inexplicable to me even did not take a before picture. I'm not done yet, and with the holidays and cold weather here, I'm not sure when I will exactly, but after 5 hours of it I'd say I'm halfway done. I'm digging up to 18" down, loading it on a sled, and dumping it on low spots on my property. I've been fortunate in that the dirt's been fairly easy to break up, and I haven't come across too many roots or rocks.....yet. The final corner will be the deepest dig, so we'll see if I need to eventually bust out the rotary impact drill and spade. I'll post an after pic when it's done.....

Nobadays
# Posted: 17 Nov 2022 21:12

Sweet! You'll get it!

Yeah ICC, I'll take minerals over ice though! You guys must have been/are cold down your way.

ICC
# Posted: 17 Nov 2022 22:00

I've seen overnight lows of 6 and 7 F for the past couple of days. 22 F at present, though we hit 41 at noon before it went downhill. Mostly cloudy but no winds to speak of. Smoke from the hanger chimney going almost straight up.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.