Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / question about oil lanterns
Janemarie
# Posted: 9 Oct 2022 22:06

Hello Again Old Friends,
I bought my cabin going on four years ago, ended up living there full time during the COVID lockdown and loved the space and quiet. Even though my cabin has electric, with my wood burning stove, I can be mostly off grid for a lot. I have started using oil lanterns. Does anybody have any sources for nice and attractive new ones that are safe and throw off good light?

Brettny
# Posted: 10 Oct 2022 07:49

With the advent of LED lights and how cheap they are theres no way I would use an oil lamp for light.

ICC
# Posted: 10 Oct 2022 09:40

Traditional oil/kerosene burning lamps may have a certain ambiance that can be attractive, but none of them throw enough light for me. The brightest are the old Aladdin lamps with a unique wick. I have a couple that I keep as they have beautiful glasswork. I do have some fuel but the lamps are empty and have not been used in years. Ditto for a few std wick type lamps. Great nostalgic apperance but I won't light them.

Fuel burning lighting fixtures pollute your indoor air. Not to mention other potential hazards. LED lighting has come a long way. Color of led light has improved if one looks. Li-ion batteries retain charge and make better emergency lights than oil lamps.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 10 Oct 2022 10:01 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

We have oil lamps. They are for display only. No oil inside.
Used to use them before we cleaned and applied clear coat to our logs.
Notice the soot that is on the chimney even if you are careful with the lamp oil you are using and keeping the flame low? In time soot will be all over your logs.
Any lighting with a flame inside is dangerous and quite possibly could void your insurance if anything should happen.

If I had electricity I would just use it for lighting.
I would buy daylight LED light bulbs to get the most light and to save money on my electric bill.

If it’s the ambiance of candlelight you want, you could buy some battery operated candles that flicker. I use them every once in awhile.
If you are looking for emergency lighting buy a couple head lamps.
The electric that is already there is going to be less expensive to use than any other alternative.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 10 Oct 2022 10:19

I can understand the attraction to,using an oil lamp. The flame can be almost hypnotic. It doesn't hurt to go ol school once in a while. And if burned correctly they produce very little smoke.
So yeah I can understand why folks still use them. Guess it's kinda like me driving my old truck. No pollution controls and it has old headlghts in it.. Still a nice ride though.
Nothing wrong with taking a trip down memory lane eh

Janemarie
# Posted: 10 Oct 2022 23:53

I would like to hear about how you cleaned your logs

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 12 Oct 2022 01:24

JaneMarie. This is the product we use exclusively on the exterior and interior. https://www.permachink.com/
Hopefully you live near one of the dealers. If not certain times of the year they offer free shipping.

Calling your nearest dealer and speaking with them about the condition of your logs so they can offer the correct product for your needs is probably better than my recommendation since I do not know exactly which cleaning product and top coat you require.

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 12 Oct 2022 07:44

There was a thread previously that had a couple of posts about converting oil lamps to LED.

gwindhurst
# Posted: 12 Oct 2022 09:00

I too purchased some oil lamps several years ago by Dietz. Most lamp oils burn dirty, even when adjusted correctly. So then I discovered a nice clean alternative, paraffin lamp oil. Worked very well however, upon returning to the cabin one cold winters day, I discovered something I was unaware of, paraffin oil freezes! Yes— It’s a nice glow and nostalgic but I’ll have to agree with most others on this topic. I now use battery LED lighting. As others have mentioned, they’re dimmable, and you can change the color temperature from warm to bright sun light, and some to any color of spectrum. They’re very energy efficient, last forever, cheap and very SAFE!!!

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 12 Oct 2022 18:30 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

The oil for the lamps also freezes.
Found this out when my nephew stopped by in the dead of winter to do a check on our cabin.

Since we are debating oil lamps…Here is a photo of my most recent auction purchase. It is really old. My husband knew the people that owned this lamp. They had a farm. This lamp was in their parlor.
It needs some work. I’ve always wanted one in this style. It is for decoration only.
54600D7D7E4B4F43B.jpeg
54600D7D7E4B4F43B.jpeg

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 12 Oct 2022 18:33

Does anyone know how to turn the photo? Can’t see the entire lamp because it’s sideways.

ICC
# Posted: 12 Oct 2022 22:05

download, turn in image editor, upload
oil lamp
oil lamp

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 12 Oct 2022 23:35

Thank you ICC.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.