Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Heating with propane in cold
<< . 1 . 2 .
gcrank1
# Posted: 12 Feb 2023 09:25

Diesel?
It has its own dis-stink odor. Some cant tolerate it. And if/more like when it gets on other cabin stuff you cant get away from it. Spills happen; btdt.
You can pay more for 'odorless' kero. Ime the 'odorless' is only 'odor=less'.

FishHog
# Posted: 13 Feb 2023 08:42

Quoting: Brettny
100lb tanks are bigger around than 20-40lb. Since the 20-40lb vaporization is different I suspect that the vertical surface area also matters. Also propane isnt filled to a pressure, its filled to a weight or volume.

Shows how long its been since I dealt with 100's but you are right 14.7" dia compared to 12", so like 26% more surface area. So that part makes sense.

Still have no clue how a 40 could be more than a 20 as I don't see how more vertical liquid can make a difference.

I do realize they don't fill based on pressure, what I meant was the pressure will be the same if the surface area is the same no matter how big the tank is.

Either way, my 2x30's manifolded together do just fine for my needs in temps as cold as I ever what to be at the cottage in.

Brettny
# Posted: 13 Feb 2023 11:22

Quoting: FishHog
Still have no clue how a 40 could be more than a 20 as I don't see how more vertical liquid can make a difference

More vertical wall or more mass in liquid would be the only difference I could see. I'm not really sure on why/how. The chart is correct and matches others. This is just an easy chart to follow that I have saved.

Fanman
# Posted: 13 Feb 2023 12:09

Quoting: Brettny
More vertical wall or more mass in liquid would be the only difference I could see. I'm not really sure on why/how. The chart is correct and matches others. This is just an easy chart to follow that I have saved.

More liquid mass means it will take longer to cool, but also longer to recover.

ICC
# Posted: 13 Feb 2023 13:05

Info link

I can vouch for the fact that we have a portable construction heater that fails to operate on a 20# cylinder, at some temperature I can't remember, but will work at the same temperature on the 40# and bigger cylinders.

NorthRick
# Posted: 13 Feb 2023 15:10

You guys are making this harder than it needs to be. I heat our cabin, in Alaska, with nothing but propane. -15F, -20F, -25F. I don't do anything special.

First off, you want a two stage regulator. My guess is that this is the OPs primary problem.

While I run 100# tanks, I still get propane into the heater when the tank is less than a third full. I also use 40# tanks for cooking and it works just fine with both burners blazing.

Try a new two stage regulator because 10*F or 17*F isn't even all that cold.

Brettny
# Posted: 13 Feb 2023 17:41

Quoting: NorthRick
I also use 40# tanks for cooking and it works just fine with both burners blazing

Cooking is such a infrequent use you almost dont need the chart. Where you do need the chart is typicaly heaters. There high draw for long periods of time.

shingobeek
# Posted: 15 Feb 2023 21:22

I agree here, Northern MN ice fisherman for over 40 years......propane gells at like -40f.....no matter tank size....bigger tank, more surface area to turn to gas....but I struggled for a long time before I realized the 2 stage regulator. I have migrated my experiences ice fishing to my off grid cabin, but it is a water access and those 100# are tough...so I have three I run out there but I am slowy moving to 40 or 30#...anyway, 10-15F is not cold you should have no issues in those temsp gotta be regulator

We run the wood stove and a 60K BTU propane Mr. Heater (25X25 ft cabin) and it mostly rises the inside temps 10 F degrees an hour in anything below 10F.......solid log walls, no insulation in cieling....just takes time to warm up

Go slow, you will learn your shack, shabin, cabin, cottages quirks and figure them out, be safe!

Upperparadise
# Posted: 20 Feb 2023 14:24

Hmm 2 stage regulator interested ill look online learn more. I combined w adaptor on amazon 2 for 1 25lb tanks and it worked better. Fed wood stove a lot and sealed more that helped too. Was 45/50f in when 17 and windy out not bad. Ill look more into the regulator maybe see if there is one for 1lb tanks and for the 25lb tank. I thought about the diesel heater and having the quiet is an important aspect thats why i dont have generator or anything that makes noise for most part. Maybe for the next bigger cabin it would block out the sound so onto the next one going to start foundation this spring.

Nate R
# Posted: 20 Feb 2023 14:59

Hmmm, not sure myself if a 2 stage regulator would help or not....shouldn't change the evaporation rate of the tank if that's the problem.

I bought this 2 stage one for my cabin stove: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OKNWUGA/

But, I haven't hooked it up yet.

gcrank1
# Posted: 20 Feb 2023 16:21 - Edited by: gcrank1

I pulled a couple 2-stage regs off a couple huge honkin bbq grills thrown in the metal recycling at our township site (I always carry a few tools suitable for 'salvage work'). I have a good relationship with the attendant there .
Ive used one already, works fine and the price was certainly right.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.