Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Firewood time of year again...
Nobadays
# Posted: 21 Aug 2023 18:44

A little early, or late but we got gifted a bunch of dead spruce from a couple neighbors. Couldn't turn it down. Some was cut green a year ago, still a little high on moisture content but it's far enough backmin the woodshed we probably won't even get to it this winter. The rest was standing dead or dead that had been fallen.

About 2 more cord for the woodshed to fill it up and another 1 or 2 to fill the racks for next year. We burn ~3 cord a year and with the woodshed holding a full 5 cord we try to always have another 1.5/2 cords on the racks. Always at least a year ahead.... I know anal
IMG_0868.jpg
IMG_0868.jpg
IMG_0871.jpg
IMG_0871.jpg

Brettny
# Posted: 21 Aug 2023 19:21

That is some beautiful stuff. Do you cut it with a chop saw and stop to get them all the same length?

Nobadays
# Posted: 22 Aug 2023 08:59

Quoting: Brettny
Do you cut it with a chop saw and stop to get them all the same length?

Yep it's pretty nice wood, especially considering we just went down the hill 300 yards, cut lengths and hauled it back up on the tractor forks.

No chop saw, we use a marking stick so most of the blocks are within a 1/2" in length. They look exact but they aren't!

Alaskajohn
# Posted: 22 Aug 2023 09:25

That sure is a pretty stack of spruce. My wood shed is no quite so picturesque.

jsahara24
# Posted: 22 Aug 2023 11:56

Always feels good to be a year ahead on firewood!

Woodshed looks great, I could use some help getting mine cleaned up! haha...

ICC
# Posted: 22 Aug 2023 12:30

Yeah, it is that time of year. I like nice neat stacks. I use a measuring stick or gauge the length with the chainsaw bar. Since installing the heat pump mini-split system that is able to run off stored solar energy I only burn ceremonial or what-the-heck-lets-have-a-fire, firewood at home. But I do keep a small stock ready for use. Yesterday I split some to refill the small woodshed.

No pictures of the shed, but here is a photo of my new splitting maul and proof that it works.
new maul
new maul
it worked
it worked

Nobadays
# Posted: 22 Aug 2023 18:51

Quoting: ICC
photo of my new splitting maul and proof that it works.

You're a better man than me! We use an electric 7 ton splitter, works great! Today I cut the biggest of the logs, nearly 18" through.... had to work at them with my 16" bar... Couldn't believe that little electric splitter busted them but it did! I've got three more logs left to cut and I'm not sure how they will split. They were from a green blow down a little over a year ago. Might still be a bit green. If green it will go on next years rack.

ICC
# Posted: 22 Aug 2023 20:29

After I joined the retired from paid work crowd I found myself doing strange things, or at least things that I used to consider so... In town, I park a good distance from the door rather than hunt for a close-up position... Walking or riding a leg-powered bicycle the 3/4 mile to the mailbox on the county road instead of driving or riding an ATV (weather permitting)... Included in that is splitting firewood. Of course, it is not the 4 to 5 cords it used to be. Now a cord will last a couple of years.

Splitting wood with a maul uses a number of muscles. I do take breaks and take longer to do the task than I did 10 years ago. That is no big deal anymore as I am first responsible for myself and can't assist others if I can't look after myself. As long as I don't take on something foolish I believe it helps keep this body working better than if I didn't do stuff.

I passed the gas engine splitter along to family. I'll buy an electric one whenever I want or need to.

Nobadays
# Posted: 23 Aug 2023 09:08

We have done more hiking and backpacking since retirement than we ever did before... oh, then we bought a cabin and do more working around here than hiking or backpacking! I think you're wise to add a bit of exercise to everyday tasks.

Being a one armed guy I find splitting wood horribly traumatic to an already over used arm. I did it anyway until we bought the cabin and wood became the sole source of heat, not just the fireplace for ambience. The electric splitter is a God send for me!

This year, having had shoulder surgery in May, I'm still strengthening the surrounding muscles. The chainsaw is helping with that!

gcrank1
# Posted: 23 Aug 2023 09:45

Muscles, use em or lose them!

Nobadays
# Posted: 23 Sep 2023 14:46

Well just about done filling the woodshed, less than a half a cord to go. It hold a full 5 cord and we only burn around 3 cord a year so almost 2 years of wood. I usually try to fill my outside racks as well, about another cord and a half but that may not happen this year.

Took a fall while stacking wood about a month ago. I had a block in my hand and of course reached out to break my fall.... the block of wood hit the floor and shoved my thumb back towards the back if my hand. I looked down to see my thumb at right angle to my hand, I couldn't move it. First thought was I broke it and will have to go to town....nearest urgent care is over an hour away.... as I looked at it I decided it was probably just dislocated so stuck it between my knees ( I only have one arm so no other hand to help) .... tried to relax and just pulled out on it until went back into place. I didn't even pee my pants, close but I didn't! Wrapped it up with an Ace bandage and finished stacking wood. The swelling wasn't too bad, ice for a few days kept it in check, and the bruising was way less colorful than I expected! Got into town a few days later and got a brace to support and sort of immobilize it.

A month later, it's better but still hurts if I am not careful how I pick up things. Went out last week and cut a load of wood. The limbing, undercut and felling, any movement where I have to turn the saw sideways just hurts...then for 3 days I can't hardly use my hand. Sucks!

One of my neighbors is stacking a log home, with logs that set outside, uncovered for 5-6 years. Some of the logs have some rot in them and is throwing those aside... said I could have all of those and all of the cutoffs that are too short for him to use. What a God Send! He is just down the hill from us so I can go down on the tractor with the forks on and bring them up to my wood lot! So far I've gleaned over a cord of wood from his cast-offs! As you can see in the pictures Some have a lot of rot, often not too far back from the ends. I would say they are 75% rot free, 15% a little punky but fine for firewood and 10% just junk.

He is only 8-9 rounds up with an expected 20 rounds to finished height, a story and a half. So I might get another cord + from him before he is done!
IMG_0922.jpg
IMG_0922.jpg
IMG_0923.jpg
IMG_0923.jpg
Finished blocking up
Finished blocking up

Nobadays
# Posted: 23 Sep 2023 17:16 - Edited by: Nobadays

Woodshed is full, and I still have a nice pile of rounds left to split. Feeling good about winter coming!

That said we have decided to migrate south to AZ the first or second week of December this year so we won't need as much wood as usual.
71719601703__F09608C.jpg
71719601703__F09608C.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.