Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Piezo Torch
<< . 1 . 2 .
gcrank1
# Posted: 11 Feb 2024 17:34

I don't have one with a bleeder but when Ive watched the guys refill the 20# they let it fill until it starts spitting liquid, then off.

darz5150
# Posted: 11 Feb 2024 18:33 - Edited by: darz5150

Maybe the refill tank is bad. Possibly why someone tossed it?
If you have a regular bottle, even the tall skinny ones. Try the method that I had posted previously. It has worked on all types of bottles I have tried. I did have a couple really beat up old ones, that the top valve was too crappy to open or too gummed up to close completely.
I still recommend the brass caps if you get the fill rig figured out.

darz5150
# Posted: 11 Feb 2024 19:43 - Edited by: darz5150

Another thought. You might not be able to fill that type of cylinder with a knock off fill adapter. I wonder if you have to use that brand refill nozzle?

paulz
# Posted: 12 Feb 2024 10:25 - Edited by: paulz

Progress. I was using the 5 gallon off my grill. It was low but still ran the burners. I switched to a fresh tank, that did better. Also I had put the small refillable (photo above) in the fridge first, after filling it might have burned more slowly. This morning at room temp much better.

I also filled a Coleman tank, it’s fine. Did we figure out how to open the bleeder on those? Doesn’t seem to want to push in like a tire valve would.

darz5150
# Posted: 12 Feb 2024 10:31

Never figured out the bleeder. That's why I just purge out the air, to make room for the lp.
I wonder if the valve pulls out since it's a relief valve?

paulz
# Posted: 12 Feb 2024 11:25 - Edited by: paulz

You’re right, pulls out. I snuck some needle nose in there. Now, what good? With my adapter the bottle sits sideways. I could maybe tilt the mess sideways a bit to position the valve near the top, if it did any good.

darz5150
# Posted: 12 Feb 2024 11:25

I just tried the valve. Couldn't push or pull it.
Tried 2 sizes tire valve tool. Nothing to grip on.

gcrank1
# Posted: 12 Feb 2024 11:28

Yes, the valve pulls up/out; watched a u-tube a few years ago on that. Iirc the guy used a small tip needle-nose pliers. A handy guy (like so many of us here ) could maybe make a little tool with groove to each in and snag that stem.

paulz
# Posted: 13 Feb 2024 10:08

Quoting: darz5150
I just tried the valve. Couldn't push or pull it.
Tried 2

It took a pretty hard pull once I finally got the needle nose gripping good. Definitely springs right back once you let go.

Not sure the value of doing it though. Torch worked good this morning without.

FishHog
# Posted: 13 Feb 2024 10:16

the valves do pull out, but they are very prone to leaking after messing with them. Set the small cylinder upright, and remove your fitting. Push down in the center on the main valve and you can purge air out and they seal back up much more reliably. That's all I do to purge air out and then top back up to max them out to listed weight.

darz5150
# Posted: 13 Feb 2024 10:22

Quoting: FishHog
Push down in the center on the main valve and you can purge air out and they seal back up much more reliably. That's all I do to purge air out and then top back up to max them out to listed weight.

That's how I do it, and it works well.

paulz
# Posted: 13 Feb 2024 11:46

Can’t you just turn the torch feed on without lighting?

gcrank1
# Posted: 13 Feb 2024 12:12

Too easy

FishHog
# Posted: 14 Feb 2024 07:57

Quoting: paulz
Can’t you just turn the torch feed on without lighting?

sure, but its slow compared to a few second blast by sticking a screwdriver down the hole. Plus you need to thread on the torch and then remove if your still filling

paulz
# Posted: 14 Feb 2024 10:50 - Edited by: paulz

Quoting: FishHog
the valves do pull out, but they are very prone to leaking after messing with them

Got that right. Last night the dog woke up barking, heard something outside. After I gave him a kick, went to check the fire. I could smell LP, and when I lit the torch and held it at the fire, it started burning from the bleed hole I had earlier messed with! Well that’s the end of that bottle, and messing with the others.

On another note I spent yesterday morning playing with that piezo one last time, just because something that simple had me stumped. I have an identical unit for the city stove, same dang spark, same gap and location, starts every time at any trigger valve opening. So I took it apart, redid all the connections, switched bottles etc., still nothing. Finally gave up and installed a lighting mechanism that works every time.
IMG_2196.jpeg
IMG_2196.jpeg

gcrank1
# Posted: 14 Feb 2024 11:16

Great 'hack'

darz5150
# Posted: 14 Feb 2024 12:14

Lol.
Necessity.... The Mother of all inventions.
Don't give up on the refills yet.

paulz
# Posted: 22 Feb 2024 13:36

A friend who frequents the recycle yard gave me this LP tank, full! Went to hook up my genny, oops, no external threads. First one I’ve come across, old? Would it have an OPD valve?
IMG_2230.jpeg
IMG_2230.jpeg

darz5150
# Posted: 22 Feb 2024 14:33

I wouldn't think so. But not positive.
That's one you take to the exchange place when it's empty, and get a new one.?
Or try to use it to refill the 1 #. If it works better, then I would keep the tank and have it refilled at your regular place. Either way, it's a win.

travellerw
# Posted: 22 Feb 2024 14:34

Quoting: paulz
A friend who frequents the recycle yard gave me this LP tank, full! Went to hook up my genny, oops, no external threads. First one I’ve come across, old? Would it have an OPD valve?

Typically, no external threads, no OPD. There are exceptions though in the early days. Usually, if it is an OPD valve it has that embossed on the valve control (the turny part that opens the propane).

gcrank1
# Posted: 22 Feb 2024 15:52

Those are the old style that Will Not give you trouble getting something running!
They do make adapters that screw in to make your big external thread fittings work. I am glad to have a couple of 30#ers and an adapter around.
Refillers aren't supposed to fill those without replacing the valve (but it has been done)

paulz
# Posted: 26 Feb 2024 19:28

Don’t see anything about OPD. Can I unscrew the top?
IMG_2247.jpeg
IMG_2247.jpeg
IMG_2248.jpeg
IMG_2248.jpeg

gcrank1
# Posted: 26 Feb 2024 19:50

LP places have the right tools to change valves, might be worth the ask about how much and if that includes the recertification for refill.
Fwiw, Ive watched some u-tube vids on diy

darz5150
# Posted: 26 Feb 2024 22:20 - Edited by: darz5150

Why do you want to take off the valve?
If you just want external threads, you can buy an adaptor, for less than a new valve.
I need to change a valve on a 100#. Because the valve was stuck open. Not because of the threads. The valve is less than thirty bucks. The adaptor is $10.
We've changed bad valves before. The tank has to be empty. If the valve is stuck closed, look for a bleeder screw. Keep in mind all the lp that will be floating around... Looking for something to make it go boom!!!!!!
We were able to break the valve loose then finished it off with a plumbers faucet wrench.
Screenshot_20240226.png
Screenshot_20240226.png
Screenshot_20240226.png
Screenshot_20240226.png

paulz
# Posted: 26 Feb 2024 23:43 - Edited by: paulz

I have no need to open it up, other than curiosity. I can use the lp that’s in it, my refill adapter uses the internal threads. Got plenty of newer tanks so if they take it, no big deal. It is aluminum though..

FishHog
# Posted: 27 Feb 2024 08:31 - Edited by: FishHog

Opps

paulz
# Posted: 27 Feb 2024 08:57 - Edited by: paulz

Yes Fh, I can feel the LP in the Coleman's after filling. Not as full as a new one but certainly usable. Not tried weighing. And I've ruined two now by pulling the pressure valve and having them leak after filling (wasn't satisfied ruining one). My recycle yard friend has given me a dozen so that's ok. Those valves were not designed for reuse I guess.

gcrank1
# Posted: 27 Feb 2024 09:23

I have tanks with both type valves. It has been really handy to have the adapter for the old valve to be able to attach stuff with the big thread easy knob.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.