Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / New property, lots of off the grid questions
stickbowcrafter
# Posted: 31 Jul 2013 18:50

Hello. I'm new to the forum and new to off grid living. I just purchased 40 acres and I'm going to be starting on a 24 x 16 two story building. It will be a gambrel barn style structure with room for farm equipment on the ground level and living quarters on the second floor. This will not be a full time residence, mostly weekends and maybe a few full weeks out of the year. The property is located in an unincorporated township. Couple that with the fact that this will not be a "residence", the building codes are very loose thankfully. The property is located in northeast Ohio near Pymatuning Lake.

I've been waiting on an estimate from the power company to bring poles from my neighbor's to my property. I got a phone call today and a ballpark figure based on my proposed building location, they estimate a minimum of $7,000 to get service to me. Getting the shell of my building up won't even cost me that so I'm moving on and looking into other options.

I don't have the money to invest in a septic tank but I plan to have well water in the very near future. I'd like to hear your ideas about getting some lights, a toilet and shower that will be reliable and comfortable. Thank you.

-Brian

Steve961
# Posted: 31 Jul 2013 19:59

Brian:

You can definitely do solar for much less than 7K. A basic system to power lights and other small electronic devices can be put together for 1K or so. An example system would be something like this:

$300 - 140 watt Kyocera panel (excludes shipping)
$ 50 - Morningstar SS-10 Charge Controller
$200 - 130 AH 12 Volt solar battery
$250 - Morningstar SureSine 300 Watt Inverter
$150 - wires, fuses, disconnects, mounting hardware, etc.

You can save $150 or so on the above system by using a modified sine wave inverter. Just keep in mind some electronic devices don't like them. The SureSine is a great inverter with a low idle draw that's highly regarded in the solar community - I really like mine. As long as you use CFL or LED bulbs, you will have power to spare with this system.

Steve

GomerPile
# Posted: 31 Jul 2013 20:52 - Edited by: GomerPile

Natures head composting toilet...

Get a Honda EU2000 generator as backup for your battery/solar system

Easy hot water can be done with a 120 dollar on demand water heater....ecotemp I think it's called. Runs on 2 d batteries and a propane tank.

12v pumps used in RV's are less than 100 bucks and work really well.

I suggest running 12v DC power for led lights, cell phone, ipad, etc. you may find than an inverter is not needed especially if you have a generator.

Steve961
# Posted: 1 Aug 2013 12:47

Brian:

I strongly recommend wiring your cabin for 120 VAC. Depending on where you locate your power center, you could easily have runs of wire exceeding 30 feet. 12 VDC suffers from voltage drop over relatively short lengths of wire compared to 120 VAC. This usually requires 12 or even 10 gauge wiring compared to 14 gauge for AC. The price difference in wire alone will more than pay for a simple MSW inverter such as the Go Power 300.

12 VDC bulbs and appliances, while available, are also harder to find and typically more expensive than their 120 VAC counterparts. For example, at my local Menards they only sell a single 12 VDC CFL that's 13 watts for $8.99. Equivalent AC CFL's are only a couple bucks each and there are dozens to choose from. I would still recommend having some 12 volt plugs available near the power center though to take advantage of any automobile chargers you might have.

Steve

rayyy
# Posted: 1 Aug 2013 17:03

Iv'e got 10 standard outlets wired up for 120 volt from the generator.Iv'e got 3 of those 12 volt outlets wired up to my battery bank.All my lighting is 12 volt as well as my water pump.The frig and hot water heater are propane.

Kudzu
# Posted: 1 Aug 2013 18:14

Pay the $7,000.00 and be done with it.

foxdud
# Posted: 1 Aug 2013 18:48

Wire everything as if it were a camper....

click here-----> http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_3714_0.html#msg54329

Click here also----> http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/3_3713_0.html#msg54325

stickbowcrafter
# Posted: 2 Aug 2013 16:16

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input. I considered just getting the electrical done but the $7,000 estimate was including the $5,000 residential credit from the state of Ohio. I was told an ag, storage or temporary living (cabin) building does not qualify for the credit. Definitely going alternative sources. I was wanting to do a self-sufficient cabin with no utility bills anyway so they kind of pushed me in the right direction.

-Brian

Redneck7
# Posted: 2 Aug 2013 17:26

thats all great info from everyone, i looked into putting solar on my tool shed and for the amount i use power out there for lights or charging batteries, running a saw. there is way to much need to know and maintenance on solar power systems. batteries only last so long, you have to keep deep cycle charging them every now and then. its just easier for my to fire up my little honda to run my lights, or i use a hand saw. but thats my opinion on solar, other people that have ran it, good job, one day ill get there but i think id like to have wind turbine and be hooked to the grid so there is no need for costly batteries or other maintenance.

-Kyle

Truecabin
# Posted: 2 Aug 2013 22:38 - Edited by: Truecabin

you can learn it
use LEDs and batteries for lights and use the generator for AC tools
when you get tired of charging the battery with the generator add a solar panel then it charges automatic no gas noise and pulling the cord

Rossman
# Posted: 2 Aug 2013 23:29

Quoting: Redneck7
but i think id like to have wind turbine

I thought a wind turbine was more complex than solar pv to install...

mjmmessina
# Posted: 5 Aug 2013 22:27 - Edited by: mjmmessina

Natures head composting toilet for sure. I've had mine for 2 years and it works great. Wire the cabin for 120 vac and use a generator to power up the system. You can purchase a nice generator for $500 - $700 that will run just about whatever you need.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 6 Aug 2013 03:55

I have a 12 volt battery I charge once every once and a while with the Honda 2000 or I take it home and swap. I only have a few reading light. I mostly use the electric lights to watch wildlife in the back yard. I have three lp lights and a outhouse. Been happy with that for thirty years.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.