Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Heating question..... Don't think I should use wood. What do you think?
<< . 1 . 2 .
creeky
# Posted: 18 Oct 2014 19:48

I use propane and wood. Wood stoves do take up some space but the advantage is the wood is free at my place.

I shrunk my stove by lining the interior with firebrick. Still. it can blow you out of there. even at -30. Guess I'm still learning how to use it properly.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 18 Oct 2014 20:22

This is the one I'm getting. It's small and EPA-certified:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pleasant-Hearth-1-200-sq-ft-EPA-Certified-Wood-Burning-Sto ve-with-Blower-Small-HWS-224172MH/203883464

bldginsp
# Posted: 18 Oct 2014 20:30

A little googling shows that these are made in Indiana for Lowe's, and people seem to like them. $650 seems like a very low price for a well-made piece of American cast iron.

Let us know how it works out for you Julie

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 18 Oct 2014 20:44

Will do, bldginsp! Do you think it would be a good idea to get the optional fresh air kit? One review said it worked well for them.

bldginsp
# Posted: 19 Oct 2014 07:59

By 'fresh air kit' if you mean a kit that brings in air from the outside for combustion air, I'd say that you can accomplish the same thing by simply installing an opening to the outside near the stove. The stove needs air to burn obviously, but if the rest of your cabin is so tightly sealed that air can't get in it's possible that the stove won't get enough air. Also, if you have another appliance in the cabin that needs air like a water heater or clothes dryer, the woodstove can inhibit the proper operation of those by creating a negative air pressure in the cabin. Also, the woodstove can pull cold air down a water heater vent flu and freeze the element.

But you can solve this without buying a kit by just installing a small duct or pipe (with a screen over it to keep out bugs and mice) near the woodstove. Don't put it across the room or you'll create a draft. The instructions for the stove might tell you how many square inches to make such an opening to provide enough combustion air.

I think in very cold climates the outside air kit would be desireable just because a hole in the wall will let in drafts when you are not using the woodstove. For my woodstove instal, in Northern Cal at 4000 ft where it's not 'Canada cold', I'm just putting a 2" pipe through the floor into the underfloor space, located under the woodstove. Should be fine.

Coastal
# Posted: 19 Oct 2014 21:09

Why not a diesel heater out of a boat or semi truck sleeper?

Espar airtronic or a webasto.

I have one in my 4runner for camping, they work awesome and can be run off of a 12v battery.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 20 Oct 2014 00:37

That's a good idea, bldginsp! I think that would work well for me, too. Thanks!

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 20 Oct 2014 21:56

bldginsp
I read the installation and operation instructions for the Pleasant Hearth wood stove at the Home Depot website last night and they helpfully include instructions on using pipe, endcaps, and a few other supplies to provide fresh air if you don't want to buy a fresh air kit! There are diagrams on how to do it through the floor or the wall.

The manual is super-good. I think this stove is a good buy. And unlike a similar US Stove, which is made in China, this one is indeed made in America!

bldginsp
# Posted: 20 Oct 2014 23:02

Julie- sounds great! Again I'm amazed at the price of that stove given its made in the US. Never seen one, but they obviously seem to have good user friendly instructions.

I plan to put my pipe for air through the floor to the underfloor space rather than to the outside of the wall, just because I thought it stand less chance of making a draft by having wind blowing on it.

My 2 cents

When you going to start your build?

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 20 Oct 2014 23:40

bldginsp
If all goes to plan, I will move to Oregon next summer and begin the process. I want to get as much done with the land that doesn't need a permit because the clock starts ticking once the permit is issued! My builder is in Eugene and summer is his busiest time. There are a lot of elements to coordinate.

I really don't want to spend another summer in Texas.

Gotta Gettaway
# Posted: 20 Oct 2014 23:45

Coastal. I'm not very familiar with the diesel heaters from semi trucks, etc. What kind of cost would we be looking at for that? I'm still leaning to a nu way. Just haven't decided wood or propane.

MtnDon
# Posted: 20 Oct 2014 23:54 - Edited by: MtnDon

webasto are $1200+ espar maybe $900

Gotta Gettaway
# Posted: 21 Oct 2014 08:05

Yeah that is way more than I want to spend.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 21 Oct 2014 17:36

Wood has a lot of benefits. That stove I linked is small, affordable, EPA-certified if you need that, and wood to burn is fairly cheap and plentiful. We often overlook the "stove" aspect but it's one I plan to use! Pick up a few cast-iron pieces and it's there and ready for boiling water, reheating food, etc.! That saves on power for other things!

Gotta Gettaway
# Posted: 21 Oct 2014 20:28

That stove that you linked is way too much stove for the size of my building. I only have a 96 sq ft space to heat and don't want to blast myself out of there in the winter. Also, the price on that one is even more than I want to spend at the moment. I am definitely getting a nu way stove. Debating wood or propane still due to some by laws in my area. If I have a wood stove, regardless of the size of my building, the by laws come into play. My hope is to install the propane one and avoid this issue altogether. Plus the stove I am set on is only about $150-200 depending on the model and will absolutely suffice for the tiny size of my insulated cabin.

1300_stainless
# Posted: 22 Oct 2014 07:07

That was the biggest reason I chose propane over wood. IMO it's better for a small,easily heated space. I've lived in wood heated homes my whole life and am familiar with it. It's only controllable to a certain extent, especially when heating small areas. Pretty easy to cook yourself out, and when you choke the stove down too soon it leads to creosote build up and other issues.

creeky
# Posted: 22 Oct 2014 16:48

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200631837_200631837

direct vent propane with a thermostat and blower. it's on sale. it is way more $$ than the nu way. but in a 96 sq ft home is saves you many square feet.

it will also be much easier to install. no pipes going anywhere but right out the wall.

eh. my .02

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.